Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Default Sony SS-M7a speakers

Speakers: Sony SS-M7A speakers
    Amp: Carver TFM 35x
    Preamp: Xiang Sheng Tube Preamp
    Source: Sony SACD Player
    Similar speakers heard with the same equipment: Polk SDA 1C's, Polk RTA 11TL's.

I have never reviewed speakers, but I thought I'd share my thoughts on these speakers.

Build Quality: The build quality of these seems very solid. For such small speakers, they weigh close to 60 lbs. You wouldn't believe it to look at them, but they are heavy. From reading other reviews, they seem to be made of high quality components.

Soundstage: The soundstage fo these is very impressive. When seated in the sweet spot, it's almost as if the sound is not coming at you, but rather is coming from around you. That sounds like the SDA effect, but I can only say it is different. The SDA effect makes me think that the sound is all around me - as if I was in the middle of the sound. The Sony's make it seem like there are numbers of speakers all around you directly sending the sound toward you. It's almost as if the sound is directly coming from outside of the actual speaker box. Very impressive.

Imaging/SoundQuality: This is the most impressive aspect of these speakers. I find, more than any other speaker I have heard, that the transfer from highs, to mids, to lows is seamless. When listening to percussive Jazz, the drums are so precise and clean. Classical music imaging is wonderful. I can hear where the flutes are in the orchestra as compared to the brass. More than any other speaker, I find these are a neutral, natural sound.

Negatives: The only negative I can think of is the bass. The small woofer on this does not dig deep, but it is actually surprisingly crisp and clean as can be - similar to the imaging. The bass of the speakers did not knock me off my feet, but kept me smiling as much as my 1C's.

Overall: I must say that I have been, and will be raving about these speakers for a long time. I doubt I will get rid of them. There is no listening fatigue, a natural, clean, crisp sound that is so pleasing to listen to. It has gotten better with time. I must say that I did not think that a monitor type speaker could impress me as much as a floor standing tower speaker, but my opinions have changed drastically. These get my highest recommendation - considering I haven't heard the highest of valued speakers. Take it for what it's worth.

James
    2 Channel/HT:
    Sony SS-M9 P's (ES version)
    Sony SS-M1CN Center Channel
    Polk RT800 Surround Speakers
    Odyssey Stratos Dual Mono Amplifiers
    TAD 150 Signature Tube Preamp
    Harman Kardon HK354
    Sony SACD Player

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Congrats & enjoy.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Member Sales Rating: (8)

Excellent review! I am not familiar with those speakers but I will now have to research them online.
    "Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music." ~ Ronald Reagan

"I love songs about horses, railroads, land, Judgment Day, family, hard times, whiskey, courtship, marriage, adultery, separation, murder, war, prison, rambling, damnation, home, salvation, death, pride, humor, piety, rebellion, patriotism, larceny, determination, tragedy, rowdiness, heartbreak and love. And Mother. And God." ~ Johnny Cash

Member Sales Rating: (55)

I have wanted a pair of the big ones (SS-M9A?) since they were developed. Nice score James. I guess this quiets down the people who "Pffft" at the thought of Sony making a decent loudspeaker. Good for you.

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Default ...

No love for these speakers? I'm surprised I didn't get more comments. If you haven't heard them, and you're in the NJ area, let me know. Pictures now attached.

James
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	009.jpg‎
Views:	227
Size:	468.7 KB
ID:	49059   Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg‎
Views:	373
Size:	528.4 KB
ID:	49060  
    2 Channel/HT:
    Sony SS-M9 P's (ES version)
    Sony SS-M1CN Center Channel
    Polk RT800 Surround Speakers
    Odyssey Stratos Dual Mono Amplifiers
    TAD 150 Signature Tube Preamp
    Harman Kardon HK354
    Sony SACD Player

Member Sales Rating: (15)

I'd like to hear a pair of the 9s, and i think there's another Sony line that i wanted to hear. Your thoughts on them seem to be pretty much in line with all the other reviews i've read on them. :)
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Wow those are different looking.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by George Grand View Post
    I have wanted a pair of the big ones (SS-M9A?) since they were developed. Nice score James. I guess this quiets down the people who "Pffft" at the thought of Sony making a decent loudspeaker.
    Nice speakers,if a bit odd looking.IIRC the SSM7 and 9's were designed and built in the US by a noted American engineer (who's name escapes me at present).They sourced the drive units from the likes of SEAS and Peerless.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

I've read rave reviews about them for years. They're bigger brother mainly. And man are they expensive.

I'm waiting for the local good will stores to put a set out.Yeh right! But if they do, I'll know what they are the instant I see that famous shape. 1st class Quality all around I've read and heard!
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies . I am glad to be a part of a select group that tries to take our auditory and visual senses to a higher level: we EXPERIENCE them.... GOT SDA?...GOT SUNFIRE? ...GOT Maggies?

Member Sales Rating: (31)

Quote Originally Posted by FTGV View Post
    Nice speakers,if a bit odd looking.IIRC the SSM7 and 9's were designed and built in the US by a noted American engineer (who's name escapes me at present).They sourced the drive units from the likes of SEAS and Peerless.
    I believe it was by a ex-Polk engineer.

Here's a pair up for sale: http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ull&1280676094
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Dan Anagnos...

Question ssm7 speakers

I'm interested to pickup a pair of these speakers for my home, Are you interested in selling them ?
    I'm in NJ.

S.

Quote Originally Posted by jon s View Post
    Dan Anagnos...
    Used to be my boss, not sure he still works there though.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

I have loved the looks of them but never got to hear a set. They don't come up too often for sale.

pepster

I think they look cool, love the design of the cabinets.

I had a chance to listen to the bigger set at a Circuit City once, but passed on the opportunity because I was
    there to pick up some Infinity CS3007's, and was in a hurry.

I still regret that decision, wish I had listened to them.

I heard those some time back. They were demo with all Sony ES gear and they sounded really good.
    AVR-Onkyo709
    AMP- Parasound 2125, Adcom 585
    Mains for HT and some Music- RTi12s
    Main for Music only- Linn Keilidh or Usher V-601 and SDA 1C
    PreAmp for Music: Cary AE-3
    Rear- RTi8s
    Center-CSi5
    Sub-JBL L8400P 12"
    Player- Oppo BDP-103
    TT: Looking for a new one.
    Phono Pre-Amp: BBE FJB-200X

Bedroom rig:
    Pionner Elite VSX-30
    Onkyo CS-5VL SACD Player
    Polk Audio LS70
    Hunting for a sub...

Member Sales Rating: (9)

I've heard pycroft's m9s, which are very impressive, and I own a pair of m3s. Very underrated speakers.

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Quote Originally Posted by jon s View Post
    Dan Anagnos...
    Looks like that's a shortened form of something like, Anagnostidis? Probably Greek?

cnh
    Last edited by cnh; 12-17-2012 at 12:30 PM.
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

I always wanted to buy a pair of these speakers when I worked at Sony. At the time I had a new borne and a nice pair of Advent Masteros so I saved my money. They did sound great, a friend who did buy a pair loved them for his 2ch music with an STR-GX10ES till the 2003 San Diego wild fire took his house and music collection with it. These speakers with the receiver were made for each other

Sony is getting serious with their home audio again. Their receivers are getting better and have a warmer sound to them. In Japan and Europe they released a new ES line of speakers. I will never leave my Polks till something much better comes out.
    Family Room:
    Sony KDL-52WL140, STR DA5700ES, DVP-NS3100ES BDP-S480
    Main: Polk RTi8
    Center: Polk CSi5
    Front High TC80i
    Rear: Polk RC80i
    Sub: HSU VTF2-MK3

Bed Room
    Sony KDF-E42A10, STR-DA2100ES, BDP-S270
    Main: Polk RTi4
    Center: Polk CSi3
    Rear: Polk R15