Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Plasma or LED?

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Plasma or LED?

I'm caught between getting a new Panasonic Plasma (not sure if the ST or GT would suit me better) or a Samsung LED (7000 or 8000 series). Also looking at the Samsung 7000 Series Plasma. I think I may have some problems with glare due to placement with windows (6' wide windows). I don't know what the off axis viewing will be like with the LED tv.

I'm looking to get a 60" for the wall placement location.

Attached is a quick drawing of the location of the TV in the room.

Thanks
    Last edited by mu1166; 12-17-2012 at 10:13 PM.
    AVR: Pioneer Elite SC-67
    Mains: Polk LSiM707
    Center: Polk LSiM706c
    Rear: Polk LSiM702F/X
    Sub: SVS PC12 Ultra
    TV: Panasonic VIERA TC-P60GT50
    DVD: Xbox 360
    NMT: Popcorn Hour C-200

Forgot the attachment.

Living Room.pdf

Member Sales Rating: (22)

Directly over the center of the earth in Olathe Kansas

Panny Plasma GT. I am biased, after the POS and the treatment from Crapsung I will never own ANYTHING THEY MAKE, even if what they make is the best ever made of what ever it might be.

I have a 65" GT and love it. A friend of mine sells Panny Plasma for Panasonic, GT vs VT he felt the GT was a better value. Good enough for me and I hve never looked back.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs

Ofc: Wright WLA12 preamp: Anthem Amp 1: Pio Elite DV-79AVI: Airport Express: CAL Sigma II DAC: PA LS90 sonicaps and mills

Plasma definitely. Many leds now have reflective screens too. Lg 60pa6500 I bought last fall it is fantastic for under a grand.

The Panasonic ST series is probably your best bang for the buck I believe. If your all about picture quality then plasma is the only way to go. There's only once LCD that I can personally vouch for and that's the LN52A650 calibrated(i own it) and its amazing. Better than several of the high end LCD/LED TV's out there. Its old in age but definitely made with picture quality in mind.

I do want a good picture quality (who doesn't). I am very worried about the glare from the windows in my living room area. I was leaning towards the Samsung LED models for this reason. I know that the Plasma will give me the picture quality.

I guess I'm just really concerned for the amount of possible glare on the Plasma with the East and South windows in that room.

I plan on having the TV calibrated after a little break in period.

I love my Samsung plasma...

I've owned a few Samsung TV's all over my house and purchased my father a 52" Samsung LCD TV 5 years ago that's still going strong.
    Living room:
    Samsung PN50B860 50" Plasma : Oppo BDP-103 : Roku 3 : Denon AVR-2808Ci : Definitive Tech ProMonitor 800 R&L : ProCenter 1000 : Polk FXi 3 Surrounds : Twin Velodyne SPL 10 Series II's :

2Ch:
    Polk LSi 9's : Parasound HCA 1500A : Pro-Ject Debut Carbon : Cambridge 640P Phono Stage : Musical Fidelity M1 S DAC : APC H15 : MacBook Pro Retina :

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Do your homework before buying a Samsung TV. I and others here and elsewhere have had very bad luck with them. I know there are at least a couple threads on here, one of which I started so you may want to have a look at those, especially if you're looking at a Sammy plasma.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Panasonic plasma.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Quote Originally Posted by thsmith View Post
    I am biased, after the POS and the treatment from Crapsung I will never own ANYTHING THEY MAKE, even if what they make is the best ever made of what ever it might be.
    EXACTLY, I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. I actually just got rid of the last Samsung product I owned a couple months back, and never again.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

which brand do you like? having both Samsung LCD and Pany Plasma. If I am going to get a TV now.
    Plasma = Pany
    LCD/LED = Samy

I don't like the clay effect with LCD.

I've got a 55" panasonic st30. I absolutely love it. Since I got a projector, the plasma is now downstairs in the living room. It doesn't seem to bother us too much with light, though I will admit there really aren't too many windows that reflect onto it from the current placement.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Figure out a way to control the light in your room. No display does well with direct sunlight.
    Plasma is still the very best picture quality you can get. No motion blur like the LED's have not to mention they look like pop up books , very fake looking.
    Panasonic makes the best Plasmas on the market. Both he ST and GT are excellent models , get the GT if you can afford it. The ST is a stellar performer at it's price point so if you can't swing the GT , you'll be tickled pink with the ST.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Without question, LED LCDs are the brightest TVs you can buy. Some models are capable of well over 100 footlamberts. To put that in perspective, in a movie theater you're lucky if you get 5. CCFL LCDs are a close second.
    Plasmas just aren't that bright. It's all relative, though, as plasmas are still likely way brighter than old-school CRT tube TVs. So plasmas aren't "dim," but they aren't nearly as bright as LCDs.
    The question is, do you need that light output? In a dark room, 100 footlamberts will be searingly bright, and could cause eye fatigue. In a bright room (daytime/sunlight) a plasma might be hard to see.
    Plasmas are better if you have people sitting off to the side like I see here in you layout.
    I myself Like the LED better. I have my PC hooked up to mine and it's awesome as to where plasmas don't work as well as the new LED LCD TV's do. Just my opinion. Good luck !!!
    Front Stage
    Polk Audio MM6501 Door's
    Polk Audio MM5251 Kick Panels
    Back: Polk Audio MM651
    Sub : 2x Polk Audio MM1240dvc
    Front's : Soundstream Reference 700s
    Back : Polk Audio PA D200.2
    SUB : Soundstream Referencre 1000s 1ohm
    Alpine 3331 EQ
    Alpine cda-9856 Receiver

Member Sales Rating: (18)

Love my Panny plasma beats most of the tvs I have seen at other peoples places
    HT- HK 335, Rotel 1075, Miova PC, AQ Indigo Speaker Cable, XLO Jumpers, AQ Diamondback ICs, AQ HDMI x2, AQ Component, Signal Cable Analog II ICs, Signal Cable Digcoax, Signal Cable Toslink, Rti8, Csi5, Rti6, Energy s10.2, Panny 42" Plasma, PS3, Harmony 1100 and Harmony PS3 Adapter, LG dvdp(for the kids), Monster 3600MKII all on a dedicated circuit.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

The only thing that beats a plasma is a 4K projector......Hmmm. Luckily I have both, so yeah plasma my friend.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!! !

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...p?userid=73580

Panasonic plasma, get one while they last cuz I hear Panasonic is going to quit making Plasma's.
    Polkaudio Fronts: RTi A7's Vr3 Fortress Edition / Wyred 4 Sound mAMP's
    Polkaudio Center: CSi A6 Vr3 Fortress Edition
    Polkaudio Surrounds: FXi A6's
    Sub: SVS PC12-NSD
    Marantz SR-7008
    Marantz TT-15S1
    BDP-Denon DBT-1713UD
    Denon AH-D5000's
    Synology DS 212j-4TB
    TV: Panasonic TC P55VT30

Panasonic Plasma:

I have a similar setup and got a Panasonic ST60 (yours would be a newer model than mine) and LOVE it. Glare isnt that bad at all (I get more glare from the window BEHIND the couch than the one next to it) and viewing angles are STELLAR compared to my 56" DLP.

Also I couldnt play online games on my dad's LCD due to it just not tracking right compared to the controller. I know lots of folks have this issue with lag and there wasnt a way to turn off the 120hz refresh rate (which was causing the issues i believe). I also noticed that the movies just looked weird, like everything was too smooth. My wife even noticed and commented on it and that means its BAD when she can see it

Here are some pics.

Last edited by EndersShadow; 12-18-2012 at 10:48 AM.
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Go Panny Plasma. Skip Samsung most of them are just giant mirrors anyway and if you have trouble with light in your room a glossy screen is just going to make it worse.
    Living Room
    Fronts: RTi A7's
    Center: Csi A6 VR3 "Fortress Plus"
    Front Heights: Rti A1
    Surrounds: Rti A3
    Sub: HSU VTF-2 MK4 Damn this is a good SUB
    Pioneer Pioneer Elite: SC-35-> Emotiva XPA-3
    TV: Lg LW6500 55" Passive 3D
    Blu-Ray Panasonic BD 210
    XboX 360 Slim/Kinect

Acoustimac red suede panels

In that size range, I'd probably get some curtains and go with a plasma.

I made the decision to opt for an extra 5" of screen real estate, and went with a 70" LED. After calibrating, the differences between my old plasma are very subtle and probably won't be noticed by the vast majority of casual viewers. In my personal opinion, I found the differences regarding picture quality to be somewhat overstated (e.g., the total superiority of plasma).
    Last edited by badchad; 12-18-2012 at 11:02 AM.
    Polk Fronts: RTi A7's
    Polk Center: CSi A6
    Polk Surrounds: FXi A6's
    Polk Rear Surround: RTi4
    Sub: HSU VTF-3 (MK1)
    AVR: Yamaha RX-A2010
    B&K Reference 200.7
    TV: Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Oppo BDP-103

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Love my 58" Panasonic plasma. Cal'd using DVE, been great ever since.

Transport: Oppo BDP-103/USB HDD (flac)
    DAC/Preamp: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Cables: Kimber Hero/8TC; DH Labs D-75

Member Sales Rating: (24)

I own a Panny VT25 50" in the bedroom and a 55" ST50 in the living room. You can't beat the picture quality for them. I have a window to the side in my bedroom and there is glare in the morning as it faces the sun rise so I just close a curtain and all is well.

The other sits in front of my windows but I have lights right next to the screen and don't have problems with glare. I would not go with an LED/LCD ever as I just don't care for it. I think they do not have the color and blacks that Plasma can have.

My ST is also better in terms of picture than my older VT line from 2010.

Also it is not true that they are stopping production of plasmas. They were talking about decreasing the amount as sales were down (don't understand that one) but that was it, not that they were going to kill off the plasma.

and Sharp IMO looks like garbage still even calibrated, just no. So no I don't agree that the merits of plasma are overstated.
    2 Channel-
    Soundlab M3PX
    BAT VK-31
    Wyred SX1000 monos
    Esoteric DV50
    Dynavector p75 modded phono stage
    Rega P25 modded-Denon 103R Cart
    Squeezebox Touch
    Modded Music Hall DAC Burson op amps
    Richard Grey 600S
    MIT Shotgun IC's and SC

Tint your windows.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

Very satisfied with a Samsung 50" LED. Directv was great with it; now using cable.

Not much love for Samsung's here. Have that really had that many problems with them?
    I own 2 Samsung dlp's which have never given me any problems at all.

I see all the love for the Panasonic Plasma. Anyone have any experience with the Samsung Plasma?

Quote Originally Posted by mu1166 View Post
    Not much love for Samsung's here. Have that really had that many problems with them?
    I own 2 Samsung dlp's which have never given me any problems at all.

I see all the love for the Panasonic Plasma. Anyone have any experience with the Samsung Plasma?
    From all the research I did I came to the following conclusion:

Plasma = Panasonic > Samsung
    LCD = Samsung > Panasonic
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

I have a co-worker which started to work on flat screens and told me a lot about tv brands....

LG
    Samsung

S*ck

Panasonic rules.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

Bought a Panny plasma the week after the Superbowl last year. Got it for 60% off, because they were getting ready for the new model line. I love this TV. The only glare I experience is for about 10 minutes, when the sun is in the perfect position, and the front door is open. Probably the white walls that are more of the cause.

I would be in more favor of a LED/LCD if they didnt have the cartoon motion. When your watching a real football game and the people come maching out on the field and it looks like a PS3 / XBox360 Madden Football game it isnt right.
    AVR: Onkyo Tx-NR808
    Amplifier: Carver A-753x 250 watts x 3
    Fronts: Polk RTI A7 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Center: CSI A4 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Rear: FXI A4
    Sub: Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    TV: LG Infinia 50PX950 3D
    Speaker Cable: AudioQuest Type 8
    IC: AudioQuest Black Mamba II

Member Sales Rating: (3)

I've been looking at various customer reviews on LCD/LED and plasma tvs over at Amazon. Seems like the brands I really liked ,such as Samsung,Toshiba, Panasonic,Vizio, and a few others, the customer service the last couple of years have been treating their customers like crap when they have one of the newer tvs that no longer work. And I'm talking about tvs that are less than 6 months old, some even a few weeks old. The companies don't want to honor their warranty, say it's not their problem. That lack of customer appreciation tells me not to spend my hard earned money with them. And yes, SAMSUNG IS THE WORST AT THIS.
    Last edited by Kenneth Swauger; 12-28-2012 at 11:21 AM.

Thread Information