Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Plasma or LED?

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by mu1166 View Post
    Not much love for Samsung's here. Have that really had that many problems with them?
    I own 2 Samsung dlp's which have never given me any problems at all.

I see all the love for the Panasonic Plasma. Anyone have any experience with the Samsung Plasma?
    I've owned my Samsung plasma for three years with zero issue. When I was looking for a new tv I checked out both Panny and Samsung plasma screens and I liked the Samsung picture better...

The Panny technically had a better black level that I found to be hardly noticeable, but the Samsung had better color reproduction to me...

Almost everyone I know has a Samsung plasma or LCD/LED and I have not heard of or seen a single problem with one of them. LG on the other hand, absolute crap...
    Living room:
    Samsung PN50B860 50" Plasma : Oppo BDP-103 : Roku 3 : Denon AVR-2808Ci : Definitive Tech ProMonitor 800 R&L : ProCenter 1000 : Polk FXi 3 Surrounds : Twin Velodyne SPL 10 Series II's :

2Ch:
    Polk LSi 9's : Parasound HCA 1500A : Pro-Ject Debut Carbon : Cambridge 640P Phono Stage : Musical Fidelity M1 S DAC : APC H15 : MacBook Pro Retina :

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Love my Panny Plasma and would purchase another.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60

Looks like about everyone loves their Panasonic Plasma.

Looks like I am down to the Panasonic GT 50 or Samsung E7000 plasma. I've seen both in a store setting and they both looked excellent to my eyes. I wasn't able to view them side by side though.

That Samsung looks to be a little cheaper (since they are offering a $200 gift card with purchase).
    AVR: Pioneer Elite SC-67
    Mains: Polk LSiM707
    Center: Polk LSiM706c
    Rear: Polk LSiM702F/X
    Sub: SVS PC12 Ultra
    TV: Panasonic VIERA TC-P60GT50
    DVD: Xbox 360
    NMT: Popcorn Hour C-200

LED for sure! I do not go for brands...I go for technology!!!
    Make it simple...Make it better!

Looks like about everyone loves their Panasonic Plasma.

Looks like I am down to the Panasonic GT 50 or Samsung E7000 plasma. I've seen both in a store setting and they both looked excellent to my eyes. I wasn't able to view them side by side though.

That Samsung looks to be a little cheaper (since they are offering a $200 gift card with purchase).
    The Panasonic ST50 is also in the debate. I have never looked at one in person, but the reviews say that it is extremely similar to the GT50.

Member Sales Rating: (8)

At a comfortable distance.... gaining perspective

Here is a little reading for your pleasure (or un-pleasure) whatever the case may be. If it makes any difference as TV views are about as concise as "what kinda speakers should I buy" threads are. http://plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasm...ma-vs-lcd.html

Quote Originally Posted by cowtrimmer View Post
    Here is a little reading for your pleasure (or un-pleasure) whatever the case may be. If it makes any difference as TV views are about as concise as "what kinda speakers should I buy" threads are. http://plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasm...ma-vs-lcd.html
    It seems like I've done nothing but read buying guides, reviews, etc. I don't get much time to go and actually see the TV's in action. The joys of living in a rural location, not many choices to view TV's.

Alright, down to the 2 different Panasonic Plasma's. ST or GT? I can't justify the VT, way to much $ for me. Would a normal eye notice a difference? I'm not a videofile by any-means, but I definitely want the TV to have a very nice picture.

It seems like I've done nothing but read buying guides, reviews, etc. I don't get much time to go and actually see the TV's in action. The joys of living in a rural location, not many choices to view TV's.

Alright, down to the 2 different Panasonic Plasma's. ST or GT? I can't justify the VT, way to much $ for me. Would a normal eye notice a difference? I'm not a videofile by any-means, but I definitely want the TV to have a very nice picture.
    Well I went with the ST as I got a 60" ST for the same price as a 50" GT. I did not see both side by side, but for me coming from a DLP it was going to be a big enough change regardless.

From what I have read this years GT models incorporate a panel as good or better than last years VT models. The ST models have a panel as good or better than last years GT models....

So IMHO go with the biggest screen size you can get and give up a little on picture quality. But you might see it totally the other way around .

P.S. I am very happy with my ST model, although I at times I still wish my wife had let my buy the Sunfire Signature 450x5 with that money instead
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Member Sales Rating: (22)

Directly over the center of the earth in Olathe Kansas

Quote Originally Posted by Upstatemax View Post
    I've owned my Samsung plasma for three years with zero issue. When I was looking for a new tv I checked out both Panny and Samsung plasma screens and I liked the Samsung picture better...

The Panny technically had a better black level that I found to be hardly noticeable, but the Samsung had better color reproduction to me...

Almost everyone I know has a Samsung plasma or LCD/LED and I have not heard of or seen a single problem with one of them. LG on the other hand, absolute crap...
    Well, I was one of 100,000s that had under rated power supply caps in my crapsung LCD that failed in less than 2 years that crapsung would not suport me on. Get your google on.

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp...w=1441&bih=723
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs

Ofc: Wright WLA12 preamp: Anthem Amp 1: Pio Elite DV-79AVI: Airport Express: CAL Sigma II DAC: PA LS90 sonicaps and mills

Quote Originally Posted by thsmith View Post
    Well, I was one of 100,000s that had under rated power supply caps in my crapsung LCD that failed in less than 2 years that crapsung would not suport me on. Get your google on.

There is only over 1 million hits for the problem. I even tried to help them by asking them to let me win something, a $5 starbucks card but no, I was SOL. Crapsung can suck it ! I fixed the problem myself for less than $3.
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2

Ofc: Wright WLA12 preamp: Anthem Amp 1: Pio Elite DV-79AVI: Airport Express: CAL Sigma II DAC: PA LS90 sonicaps and mills

Lots of hate for Samsung out there evidently.

I went ahead and ordered the GT50 (60"). Now the waiting game through Christmas and after for it to arrive.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I sell these things everyday, IMO samsung is way to bright and over saturated. even with adjustment the colors dont look natural. I tend to like Sharp and LG. Not as bright and more true to life color out of the box. I have the sharp aquos quattron from 2 years ago. Properly calibrated that tv is nothing short of amazing. I had a coworker come over and he was just in awe. He couldnt believe how good the tv looked when properly calibrated.

As far as Plasma vs LED-LCD. I think the highend - consumer marketed version of each are very comparable. If I had a dark media room I would got Panny VT or GT, but if you have a lot of wndows you almost have no choice but to get and led. Plasmas just dont have the power to compensate for that extra ambient light. The grey out and dull. Led's can easily over power most light. Glare is the same as most high end leds will use a polished screen for the extra crispness that it gives.

If I could afford it I would get the new Elite (sharp) led tvs. That tv when properly setup up is stunning. The black is so deep its like looking into a infinite void.
    HT Rig Sharp LC-52LE810|Panasonic BDP210|Pioneer Elite VSX-32|Polk Audio RTiA5 Cherry|Polk Audio CsiA6 Cherry|Polk Audio T-15|DSW Pro 600, Micro Pro4000 powered with a Crown XLS1000

2Channel Rig Polk Audio LSi9 Cherry| Carver C-1|Carver M1.0t|Dual 1257|Acer A500|Pioneer SW8-MKII X2

Well I am late to this party but Panasonic Plasma all the way. I have no issues with mine in a room with five windows facing east.
    AVR: Elite VSX-21TXH
    Amplifier: B&K 7250 Series ii
    Misc: Velodyne SMS-1
    Mains: RTi-10
    Center: CSi-5
    Rear: Boston DSi460
    Sub: SVS PC-Ultra
    TV: Panasonic TC-P58V10
    DVD: Panasonic DMP-BD60K

Quote Originally Posted by MADGSF View Post
    Well I am late to this party but Panasonic Plasma all the way. I have no issues with mine in a room with five windows facing east.
    I initially had some concern on the placement of the TV to my windows also. That has mostly been soothed over by this forum and the reviews that I have read. Now only if it would get here sooner...

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Quote Originally Posted by mantis View Post
    ...Both he ST and GT are excellent models , get the GT if you can afford it. The ST is a stellar performer at it's price point so if you can't swing the GT , you'll be tickled pink with the ST.
    Do you think the VT is worth it? How does it compare to the GT?
    2-Channel:

Source 1: PC
    Source 2: Rega Apollo CDP
    USB > SPDIF Converter: Stello U3
    DAC: Audio GD NFB-7
    Preamp: Audio Research LS-15
    Power Amp: BAT VK-500
    Speakers: Magnepan 3.7's

HT:

Source 1: HTPC
    Source 2: Oppo 103
    Pre/Pro: Marantz av8003
    Power Amp: Rotel RMB-1095
    Fronts: LSiM-705's
    Center: LSiM-704c
    Surrounds: LSiM-702's
    Subs: Dual SVS PC12-NSD's

Panasonic has my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by falconcry72 View Post
    Do you think the VT is worth it? How does it compare to the GT?
    I have a GT25 and a VT30. Although the VT30 is newer it is better then the GT25. Also you have more picture settings on the VT's
    Polkaudio Fronts: RTi A7's Vr3 Fortress Edition / Wyred 4 Sound mAMP's
    Polkaudio Center: CSi A6 Vr3 Fortress Edition
    Polkaudio Surrounds: FXi A6's
    Sub: SVS PC12-NSD
    Marantz SR-7008
    Marantz TT-15S1
    BDP-Denon DBT-1713UD
    Denon AH-D5000's
    Synology DS 212j-4TB
    TV: Panasonic TC P55VT30

I have the 65" GT30 and side by side I could not justify the extra $800. When I asked a friend of mine that works for Panny selling these to big box stores he also had a hard time justifying the cost, ST to GT yes but not Gt to VT.

YMMV

I really feel no reason to "get my google on"...

I mostly ignore people ranting online. I rely on my own personal experiences. Is Samsung's customer service crappy?

Maybe. But I have never had a single reason to contact them, to me that's a great thing. If ever needed to contact them and I was treated like garbage, I would draw my own opinion.

Honestly, the first and only time I've had to contact Polk CS, the guy was crazy rude and treated me like crap...

I guess my major question is, was your TV still under warranty?
    Living room:
    Samsung PN50B860 50" Plasma : Oppo BDP-103 : Roku 3 : Denon AVR-2808Ci : Definitive Tech ProMonitor 800 R&L : ProCenter 1000 : Polk FXi 3 Surrounds : Twin Velodyne SPL 10 Series II's :

2Ch:
    Polk LSi 9's : Parasound HCA 1500A : Pro-Ject Debut Carbon : Cambridge 640P Phono Stage : Musical Fidelity M1 S DAC : APC H15 : MacBook Pro Retina :

Just to add one more vote for Panasanic plasma. I have one and have been very happy with it. It has a great life-like picture quality and I have had no problems at all with it. I think a Panny plasma is the way to go.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Good luck to those who still have a working Samsung they bought new within the last 5 years and especially the last one or two years because there are numerous__ comsumer complaints about Samsung not standing behind their warranty to fix their tvs. And yes, many of these tvs are not even a year old. People have spent way too many hundreds or a thousand dollars on a new Samsung tv to only have it crap out on them after a couple of months ,then Samsung says sorry,not our problem.... Unfortunately, these newer tvs with all of the computer like circuitry in them is compounding the problems. And let me add, this isn't only__ with Samsung, you'll find other names like LG, Toshiba, Sony,Panasonic, (yes, Panasonic ,which I was really surprised to see, I've always liked their integrity),Vizio, ,DYODD.
    Last edited by Polkie2009; 12-21-2012 at 11:16 AM.

I have the 65" GT30 and side by side I could not justify the extra $800. When I asked a friend of mine that works for Panny selling these to big box stores he also had a hard time justifying the cost, ST to GT yes but not Gt to VT.

YMMV
    For straight up picture quality you're probably right, but the vt's design is also really sexy. Love that single pane of glass look.

I agree Falcon, If it had not been just moving and buying a new house and all that goes with it I would have spent the extra money but...... I am very happy with the 65GT30. I picked up a few LG LCDs for rest of the house with the extra money. Pretty impressed with the 42" LGs. I still have the Crapsung at our house in Plano and it has a good picture. Samsung had such a big problem they basically covered 80% of the people who had the problem and stranded the other 20%. Easy fix but they cheaped out and got caught.

Yeah my TV was 18 months old and out of warrenty but they lost a customer for life that will dog crapsung to anyone that will listen. They told me even TVs have to be serviced like a car. A bedroom TV less than 2 years old with low usage should fail in 18 months and considered normal, They can suck it.

Can't vote for the Panny as I've never personally owned one, a friend has one and the picture is fantastic. My Samsung plasma also had problems after about 18 months and I replaced it with LG LED a couple months back
    Mains: Polk Audio SDA-2Bs
    Center and Surrounds: Bic Acoustech
    AVR: Pioneer 1015tx
    Amp: Anthem Amp 1
    Turntable: Project Debut III
    Inputs: Xbox 360, Samsung BDP-1000, Apple TV

...I went ahead and ordered the GT50 (60")...
    I may very well end up with the same screen... it's between the 60" GT50 and the 55" VT50. hmm slightly slicker bezel or 5 extra inches...
    2-Channel:

Source 1: PC
    Source 2: Rega Apollo CDP
    USB > SPDIF Converter: Stello U3
    DAC: Audio GD NFB-7
    Preamp: Audio Research LS-15
    Power Amp: BAT VK-500
    Speakers: Magnepan 3.7's

HT:

Source 1: HTPC
    Source 2: Oppo 103
    Pre/Pro: Marantz av8003
    Power Amp: Rotel RMB-1095
    Fronts: LSiM-705's
    Center: LSiM-704c
    Surrounds: LSiM-702's
    Subs: Dual SVS PC12-NSD's

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Just got a Panasonic GT50 60" plasma and am very please with it, except for the sound quality. I am replacing the Mits 57831 DLP (replaced 5 lamps in less than 5 years).
    Strictly 2 channel
    Rotel RC-1550 pre
    Rotel RB-1582 amp
    Catcables Kingcats ICs
    APC S-20 line conditioner
    B&W N804 mains
    B&W ASW800 sub
    Rotel RCC-1055 changer
    Denon DVD 1000

Listening Room:
    McIntosh C2300 preamp
    McIntosh MC452 amp
    McIntosh MCD-500 SACD player
    AQ Colorado XLR ICs
    AQ Columbia ICs
    APC H-15 line conditioner
    Sonus faber Auditor M speakers w/stands
    REL B1 subwoofer
    Rega P9 w/Lyra Delos
    Pioneer RT-707 R2R
    Zu power cables & XLRs

Quote Originally Posted by miner View Post
    Just got a Panasonic GT50 60" plasma and am very please with it, except for the sound quality. I am replacing the Mits 57831 DLP (replaced 5 lamps in less than 5 years).
    Congrats....

I recently purchased the 50ST50 after finding it for an excellent price.($500 less than the GT).Outstanding TV for the money.

reported

RT-12, CS350-LS, PSW-300, Infinity Overture 1, Monoprice RC-65i
    Adcom GFA-545II, GFA-6000, Outlaw Audio 990, Netgear NeoTV
    Denon DCM-460, DMD-1000, Sony BDP-360, Bravia KDL-40Z4100/S
    Monster AVL-300, HTS-2500 MKII

Thread Information