Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Turntable Question

i have a kenwood kd-2000 table. when an lp is finished playing, there is a "hum" or "feedback" thru the tonearm and other parts of the table. ( i don't know any other way to explain this) is it possible this is happening because i do not have the table grounding wire connected to anything? thanks.
    "The symbol is not the reality"

Quote Originally Posted by laotzu61 View Post
    i have a kenwood kd-2000 table. when an lp is finished playing, there is a "hum" or "feedback" thru the tonearm and other parts of the table. ( i don't know any other way to explain this) is it possible this is happening because i do not have the table grounding wire connected to anything? thanks.
    Could be, I take it you dont have a ground plug on your reciever to connect it to?
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Main HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse DVR | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office Rig: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Pro-ject Debut III | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse DVR | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

there is a gound connection on the amp, (have amp, preamp, cd player, table) but because of the "logistics" of my set-up, the ground wire from the table is not long enough to reach the amp. thanks.

What cartridge are you using?
    2-channel
    Sources: Pro-ject 2.9 wood Grado Gold cartridge; Squeezebox Duet; Oppo BDP-83
    Amps: PS Audio GCPH; PS Audio DLIII(Cullen mods IV); Parasound Halo P3; B & K Reference 200.2
    Speakers: Polk - LSi15's(db sub mod)

HT
    Amps: Sony - STR-DG1000; Outlaw 200 Mono; Speakers: Polk - CS2, Monitor 70's, RC80i's; Video: Optoma HD20; FAVI HD-100

Man Cave (In Progress)
    Sources: Sony PS-LX410, Denon 3910; Amps: Dared sl2000a, HK 3490, Simaudio Moon LP3; Speakers: Polk - SDA 2A's

audio technica #at-105/stylus #207-d7.

Ok...I know some Grado carts don't like some tables and will hum or buzz at the end of the lp.

Is there any way you can move your table just to test it with the ground wire connected?
    2-channel
    Sources: Pro-ject 2.9 wood Grado Gold cartridge; Squeezebox Duet; Oppo BDP-83
    Amps: PS Audio GCPH; PS Audio DLIII(Cullen mods IV); Parasound Halo P3; B & K Reference 200.2
    Speakers: Polk - LSi15's(db sub mod)

HT
    Amps: Sony - STR-DG1000; Outlaw 200 Mono; Speakers: Polk - CS2, Monitor 70's, RC80i's; Video: Optoma HD20; FAVI HD-100

Man Cave (In Progress)
    Sources: Sony PS-LX410, Denon 3910; Amps: Dared sl2000a, HK 3490, Simaudio Moon LP3; Speakers: Polk - SDA 2A's

Quote Originally Posted by hochpt21 View Post

Is there any way you can move your table just to test it with the ground wire connected?
    Just extend the wire. Never hurts to try.

Quote Originally Posted by hochpt21 View Post
    Ok...I know some Grado carts don't like some tables and will hum or buzz at the end of the lp.

it would be very difficult due to the way it's set up, which i can't change. would it be possible somehow toadd some sort of extension to the spade connection from the table?

Extend the ground useing whatever wire you have handy to ground it. Wrap spade to wire with electric tape if thats all ya have. No ground is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by chumlie View Post
    Extend the ground useing whatever wire you have handy to ground it. Wrap spade to wire with electric tape if thats all ya have. No ground is the problem.
    thankyou. i will try that later today and get back to you guys. and thanks to all of you.

Quote Originally Posted by laotzu61 View Post
    thankyou. i will try that later today and get back to you guys. and thanks to all of you.
    Let us know if that does not work (unlikely).

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

You can extend the ground wire by soldering another to it. Even "I" can do that, and that's not saying much! lol There is a "reason" those TTs have that Ground wire on them. I never heard of anyone NOT using it!

Good luck!

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

finally got 'er done!! yee hah! made all the difference in the world. put on "sade--promise" lp just now, and no feedback. boy is this sweet! my audio cabinet is a 7' high 3 1/2' wide 26" deep solid cherry wood, beautiful piece of furniture, that is challenging to say the least when i need to re-wire or change anything; but well worth any problems i encounter when i'm done manipulating, bending, cussing, etc. thanks for all the help, guys. i appreciate it.

How abouts some pics of this cool piece of furniture and your gear ....
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Main HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse DVR | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office Rig: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Pro-ject Debut III | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse DVR | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Member Sales Rating: (8)

At a comfortable distance.... gaining perspective

Tip: A simple clothespin makes a fine spring clamp that could serve to hold a wire & a spade connector together long enough for testing purposes.

Add a ground,if that doesn't help try reversing polarity on AC at outlet! You really ought to hook up that ground though!

Quote Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
    How abouts some pics of this cool piece of furniture and your gear ....
    if someone will please let me know how to upload pics, i will tonight. thanks.

Thread Information