Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default looking for power amp recommendations

I have been advised by many on this site to get a good power amp for my Yamaha CR 2020 (105 watt) receiver (rather than looking for a bigger receiver) in order to fully appreciate my Dahlquist DQ 10s (and hopefully some future Polk SDA speakers). I do not know anything about power amps but am learning.

Can anyone recommend a good power amp for my needs?

I have no idea of cost but something in $300 range I guess, if that is possible.

Thanks.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Good choice on moving to an external amp. Lost of good choices for 300 bucks.

Some brands of interest: Adcom, Parasound, B&K, Rotel. The Adcom GFA-555 or 545 are popular in that price range. I like the Parasound HCA's.
    2-Channel:

Source 1: PC
    Source 2: Rega Apollo CDP
    USB > SPDIF Converter: Stello U3
    DAC: Audio GD NFB-7
    Preamp: Audio Research LS-15
    Power Amp: BAT VK-500
    Speakers: Magnepan 3.7's

HT:

Source 1: HTPC
    Source 2: Oppo 103
    Pre/Pro: Marantz av8003
    Power Amp: Rotel RMB-1095
    Fronts: LSiM-705's
    Center: LSiM-704c
    Surrounds: LSiM-702's
    Subs: Dual SVS PC12-NSD's

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check them out.

I have been liking my Red Dragon 100W monoblocks, Class D. Handmade in Utah. He doesn't advertise them on his site (only the 500 and 1000 Watt versions) but will make them for you. $500 a pair, and can return if not satisfied. In addition to the clean smooth sound, I like them because they are small and run cool. I am kind of itching to upgrade to the 500W versions now.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

I've gotta say that 105 honest wpc (of which a CR-2020 should be capable) ought to be adequate for even the somewhat notoriously un-dynamic DQ10.

I'm not a huge fan of these loudspeakers. They have a decently neutral overall "tone" and they're reasonably transparent sounding, but they're way overvalued even today as far as I am concerned. They're just not very exciting to listen to (I like loudspeakers to convey nuance and emotion - and to let me listen "into" the music and pick out details if I wish to).

Just sayin'.
    all the best,
    mrh

That was exactly my impression - disappointment - after hearing the DQ 10s. I had heard so many great things about them and just found them to sound flat and not lively at all. My Polk Monitor 10As have a lot more life to them than the DQ 10s. But I know it is a matter of preference. I also think the DQ 10s are great for certain music - light jazz, classical - as they really do bring out a lot of detail and clarity, but for rock and other music, and generally overall, I'd have to say I was disappointed by the sound of the DQ 10s after reading so much about how they were among the greatest speakers ever made. I heard recapping brings them to life so I will not give up on my DQ 10s and I intend to recap them but, for now, I am strictly listening to my Polk Monitor 10As, which are awesome!

Picked up an Onkyo M 504 and P 304 for four bills a couple months ago. This was a good score,amp has 165W RMS ch. very clean sound,good headend,punchy! Check these out,they are out there and are reasonably priced.

Thanks. Onkyo makes some nice stuff. I have a vintage Onkyo TX 4500 MK II receiver in a second system I have in my shop. I picked it up for only $90 about 6 months ago, not expecting much, but it surprised me . It is a very nice sounding receiver (60 or 65 watts) and I have it kicking a pair of Polk Monitor 7As. It is a nice combination. Thanks for the tip. I will check out the Onkyo amps as well.

Member Sales Rating: (27)

Quote Originally Posted by sandman012 View Post
    I have been liking my Red Dragon 100W monoblocks, Class D. Handmade in Utah. He doesn't advertise them on his site (only the 500 and 1000 Watt versions) but will make them for you. $500 a pair, and can return if not satisfied. In addition to the clean smooth sound, I like them because they are small and run cool. I am kind of itching to upgrade to the 500W versions now.
    Wasn't aware they were still making these, I had a pair of Red Dragon Amp-1s way back when. Very solid little amps using the 200ASC modules. The upgraded versions should be a nice improvement though, I went with EVS 500Ms that use the same module as the 1000 watt Red Dragons, definitly a solid upgrade.

Jump on the hca1200 from jmwest. Fantastic amp. No affil.
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a
    McIntosh MC 2120 bi-amped
    Into JBL L123 drivers
    Rane external crossover.
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    ADCOM GDA 700 DAC ( MODDED)
    YAMMY CDC-665
    Marantz 6100 tt w/pickering XV-15/625E cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    POLK RTA-12C'S W/ RDO194 TWEETS, clarity ESA caps mills risistors (full mod)
    MIT exps2 speaker cable

There are a couple of small Belles amps that are under $300; but they rarely surface. They are great.
    Vintage PSE are also highly recommended.
    Good luck.

I use the Belles one,I agree with ErasmusBDragon nice amps.If one comes up near you try to give it a listen I think you would be pleased.

Dan

Thanks for all the tips. Lots of good stuff out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfatdogs View Post
    I use the Belles one,I agree with ErasmusBDragon nice amps.If one comes up near you try to give it a listen I think you would be pleased.

Dan
    Yes, the Belles One is what I have and it will drive most any speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by soundfreak1 View Post
    Jump on the hca1200 from jmwest. Fantastic amp. No affil.
    +1 I'm thinking pretty hard on this one, been reading some good reviews on it, and all the reviews were positive ones.

Yes, the Belles One is what I have and it will drive most any speaker.
    I have mine with the SDA1Cs,works well for my needs.
    Dan

I got my Adcom 555 to bolster my Yamaha rx-v665 and couldn't be happier. I have since split the amp for 2-chll work w/ a dedicated pre but for pure clean neutral power you can not beat it.I got mine sight/sound unseen from Audio Classics and it came wrapped so 0 would happen slippery clean and for $300 even including shipping. They are all over E-Bay and some times Audioagon for very decent prices.

Thread Information