Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Member Sales Rating: (16)

I got a 25.00 Walmart giftcard for Christmas and only paid 8.00 & change for mine. It is a pretty sweet blu ray disc, but not giving up my MoFi CD.

Member Sales Rating: (19)

Picked this up used at Disc Replay. Nicely done, and the surround seemed to be present and done well when playing the DTS audio. I liked the comic book! The only thing is that Geddy Lee is a little overpowering anyhow, and even more so on the BD audio. I enjoyed it, however my favorite Rush albums are the ones prior to 2112.
    DKG999
    -----------------------------------------
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC

Member Sales Rating: (14)

I received my copy a few days ago and have given it a listen. I have not done any testing back and forth, but on first listen to the 2496 BD audio, I don't think it's all that different from the Mofi cd. Maybe a bit more bloom in the strings, but otherwise I'd say if you already own the Mofi cd I don't think you're in a huge rush to get this.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I picked up the DVD-Audio version before I knew there was a BD of it also. Regardless, it sounds AWESOME on the DVD-A and has the comic during the playback as well. But now I'm left wondering if there is a difference between the DVD-A and BD. I would assume it's the same mix...

Any differences that people know of?

With reviews like this I'm going to have to pick this up!

yes, glad we got it 100 years early.

and they are touring this summer

I finally listened and watched the comic from start to finish. With the comic you can follow all the words. I now have a deeper appreciation for 2112!
    I got static in my head
    The reflected sound of everything

I think I stumbled onto a reason why NOT to buy the DVD-A of 2112, and go with the Blu-ray instead. It appears my new Oppo 105 player won't play the DVD-Audio AND Video portions of a DVD-Audio disk at the same time. It only loads the first slide of each song, but doesn't auto-advance and skips all the in-between slides. I can manually see the in-between slides by using the "right" button on the remote, but that's a pain when you're trying to enjoy the music. My old Oppo did the auto-advance. WTH? Maybe my old player was playing the DVD-Video layer of the disc?

Can anyone else confirm this behavior with the Oppo 105 (or any other DVD-Audio player with the DVD-A disc)? Perhaps this is a firmware bug with the Oppo?

So, as of now, it looks like I'm either stuck switching to DVD-Video on the player, which will probably result in lower quality audio but I'll get the advancing comic book (I'll try that tonight and confirm), or not worrying about the comic book and play the higher quality DVD-Audio layer.

Sounds like I should have bought the Blu-Ray. BAH!

Member Sales Rating: (20)

I haven't listened to the CD that came with the set yet, has anyone else? I do like the Blu Ray, wonder if the CD is remastered as well...
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Quote Originally Posted by AsSiMiLaTeD View Post
    I haven't listened to the CD that came with the set yet, has anyone else? I do like the Blu Ray, wonder if the CD is remastered as well...
    Sounds okay, though certainly not in the realm of the blu ray. These CDs that come with blu rays seem to find their way to my car somehow, and this one's no exception.

Quote Originally Posted by audio_alan View Post
    I think I stumbled onto a reason why NOT to buy the DVD-A of 2112, and go with the Blu-ray instead. It appears my new Oppo 105 player won't play the DVD-Audio AND Video portions of a DVD-Audio disk at the same time. It only loads the first slide of each song, but doesn't auto-advance and skips all the in-between slides. I can manually see the in-between slides by using the "right" button on the remote, but that's a pain when you're trying to enjoy the music. My old Oppo did the auto-advance. WTH? Maybe my old player was playing the DVD-Video layer of the disc?

Can anyone else confirm this behavior with the Oppo 105 (or any other DVD-Audio player with the DVD-A disc)? Perhaps this is a firmware bug with the Oppo?

So, as of now, it looks like I'm either stuck switching to DVD-Video on the player, which will probably result in lower quality audio but I'll get the advancing comic book (I'll try that tonight and confirm), or not worrying about the comic book and play the higher quality DVD-Audio layer.

Sounds like I should have bought the Blu-Ray. BAH!
    Confirmed. If I switch the DVD-Audio priority setting on the Oppo 105 to DVD-Video (and reboot the player), I see the comic book correctly as the songs play, but the lower quality 48kHz audio also plays. Switch back to DVD-Audio as the priority, and the comic book only changes right at the beginning of songs, but I get the 96kHz audio.

Is this really the right behavior for a DVD-Audio player? If so, that's a lousy design and I'm going to switch over to SACD/Blu-Ray exclusively.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Confirmed.
    Is this really the right behavior for a DVD-Audio player? If so, that's a lousy design and I'm going to switch over to SACD/Blu-Ray exclusively.
    yes my Denon 3910 and 2900 are the same in that respect on all DVD-A's

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    yes my Denon 3910 and 2900 are the same in that respect on all DVD-A's
    Thanks for confirming. What a bummer though. It's a catch-22 when you're wanting to show someone the comic AND the high resolution audio..... "Nope, you can only have one."

Blu-ray and SACD is it from now on, if I have the choice!

So..... anyone want to buy a copy of Rush 2112 on DVD-A? haha

so..... Anyone want to buy a copy of rush 2112 on dvd-a? Haha

maybe :) $$$$

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    maybe :) $$$$
    Haha I was (mostly) kidding. I think I'll hang onto it for now since I've already seen the comic. I'll definitely be picking up the Blu-Ray version of Moving Pictures though...

and I was not
    its all good though..just thought I'd help you fund the next one.

Going to add this to my list.

i love rush

Thanks for the Heads Up..
    I will be looking for this one for sure.
    I've seen Rush like 15 times over the Years..
    An excellent Live band
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolfan66 View Post
    This will be in rotation for awhile!!!! Just down right beautiful!!! Now they need to do the rest of the catalog like this!!

I wish TOOL would do this as well..

Thread Information