Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What to buy

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default What to buy

So I would like to put together my first real home stereo but don't know where to begin. My budget is 1000 to 1500 and I own nothing other than an iPad and a pair is sennheiser headphones. This system will go in my living room and will be mainly for listening to music but I guess it would nice to run my tv through it as well. I need a set up that is good for a wide variety of music types because I listen to everything from metal/grind core to instrumental music( mono, explosions in the sky) to rock to ambient/drone(stars of the lid, eluvium). Most of my music is digital on my ipad or on cd. I thought about jumping on the sonos bandwagon and buying a set of play 5's and the sonos subwoofer but I thought I'd look around and see what else is out there at that price point. Any ideas? Space is not really a issue so I'd really like floor speakers. Any ideas if you had that budget?

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Greetings and Welcome to Club Polk!

Are you leaning towards a home theater system with the center, surrounds and subwoofer, or just a standard 'stereo' setup?

Is your living room layout conducive to a multi-channel configuration or do you have constraints so you need to stick with just two speakers.

And when you say some of your music is on CD - do you have a CD player or are you playing these thru a computer?

Lastly - would you mind buying used? There are some good deals to be had on the electronics (amp, avr, etc) if you go used.

Cheers!

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.

Good questions

I think I'm leaning more towards a system for listening to music but it may be nice to run my tv through it for the occasional movie but it will not be a "home theater." I love music and enjoy just listening to music and have always dreamed of having something nicer than iPad speakers. We have a tv above our fireplace and then an entertainment center against the wall to the right that will be where the stereo will go. So I guess music is the priority but I would probably run my tv through it just because it's there. I will not be mounting speakers all around the room so maybe just 2 floor speakers and a sub if needed??

I buy most of my music from iTunes and if I did buy the cd it gets uploaded and then I just play it from iTunes. I don't think I even own a cd player except in my car! But I wouldn't be opposed to a cd player but probably no need for a record player at this time.

I would not mind buying used I just know nothing about building a stereo. Im not even sure I understand what an amp is for! I guess I don't know how to choose a receiver and match it with speakers based on watts and power etc etc. That is why is was thinking of buying a play 5 and a sonos subwoofer because it seemed so simple but it's still over a 1k.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    I have found that tube based computers provide the best sound quality. ENIAC and MANIAC I offer a smooth, well defined and articulated sound unmatched by the current silicon based CPUs.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremymarcinko View Post
    But as in all things your perception is your reality.

Thread Information