Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default High Definition DVD Player

Whats all this I keep hearing about High Definition DVD players? Are they not all HD? Whats the skinny and does anyone have any recommendations at the 400 or less pricerange?

Polk-a-dweeb

The DVD players on the market today are not HD players. The best resolution is going to be 480p, which is the same as the Enhanced Definition broadcast that FOX has on the air in some cities. You need to use a progressive scan DVD player connected to a HDTV inorder to get that resolution. HD is has a resolution of 720p or 1080i and much better than any DVD image. There are a couple of HD-DVD players available in Japan but they are extremely expensive. Blue Ray Laser DVD players have been the topic of discussion for a year or two as the next thing in DVD player technology, but the implementation and availablity is a few years off. Not all of the manufactures of DVD players are in agreement on the technical aspects/standards to use. Kinda of like the old VHS vs Beta debate. Some day we'll be able to pick one up at Best Buy, but it's going to be awhile.

I have read that Windows Media Player 9 is capable of displaying a HD-DVD signal when connected to a projector that has the proper resolution. The most recent release of Terminator II had a second DVD that contained a HD version of the movie.

Do a goggle search for HD-DVD for more info.

Hope this helps.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D

Member Sales Rating: (2)

The "HD DVD" players you've read about are just upconverting to more lines of resolution, but they are not true HD. (I wish they were)

Even if you upconvert 480p, you're still gonna get..... you guessed it, 480p quality ;)

I think Samsung has a upconversion player right now, it's also DVI only for the HD portion I think.
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200

So, should I just stick with a good progressive scan player with a tv that has an hd converter?

Polk-a-dweeb

Yes

heard any things about the denon 2815?

Originally posted by brentman0110
    So, should I just stick with a good progressive scan player with a tv that has an hd converter?
    What? HD converter?

Don't upscale images, it's not enhancing the quality. You can only get as good as the source.
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200

What I mean is an HDTV Tuner.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

seccond star to the right and strait on to morning

we have the samsun with the dvi but havent spent the coin on the dvi cable. it is a verry sweet looking machine and has great pq
    Gonzo's World
    BenQ 8700+
    115in screen
    PS3,X-Box 360 and Wii
    Sunfire Theater Grand III
    ADCOM GFA-7607
    four avalanch 18 subs 26.12l of displacement
    Crown xti 4000

Check out the V Inc. Bravo D-1 dvd player. $199 and its got DVI outputs. It puts out a picture as good as some dvd players costing 4-5 times as much. Running this pup with a plasma TV or digital projector cretes an awesome picture. Not HD, but very good picture.

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Here is my question, and greatest fear. Do any of you think that once HD DVD is a reality, that all those DVD's I have been buying will be re-released in HD? Or, will movies just be originally shot in HD and the DVDs released in the future utilize this technology?

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Just got down watching Bad Boys 2, and the back cover states "Mastered in High Definition" or something to that extent.

Many studios are filming in HD now.

1. Gives a direct upgrade path to HD DVD when it comes out. They just re-record it on the disc.

2. Makes the current DVDs look better because you have a superior source, and then tuning it down to the 480p of DVD.
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200

Default Frank

Good call steve!!!
    Frank Z,*******I have read that Windows Media Player 9 is capable of displaying a HD-DVD signal when connected to a projector that has the proper resolution. The most recent release of Terminator II had a second DVD that contained a HD version of the movie.*****
    Hey I have that version of T2, a DVD computer next to my HD projector. I was just thinking about this very thing the other day. I have been dieing to see some HD on my projector. I really want to try doing this.
    *I guess I will have to get MP9 for my computer - but where?
    *Type of cable for computer to projector?
    *This would work???
    Any help would be appreciated Frank or anyone fimiliar with projector to PC knowledge - have not had to need until now to travel that path........... Thanks
    PS3 and HD Front Projection, life is good. Too bad Blu-Ray and the PS3 are already obsolete.....

Has anyone heard any thing about the denon 2815? Thumbs up or down?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...a/players.aspx

this is the most i can help u with lol, sorry i cant answer ur other questions....good luck
    SDA 2B
    Carver m0.5t
    AMC pre
    Cobalt Cables

Polk-a-dweeb

Default Re: Frank

Originally posted by scottvamp

*I guess I will have to get MP9 for my computer - but where?
    *Type of cable for computer to projector?
    *This would work???
    Any help would be appreciated Frank or anyone fimiliar with projector to PC knowledge - have not had to need until now to travel that path........... Thanks
    I would go to the source, Try microsoft.com.
    Cables? gonna depend on what outputs you have on the PC and projector. HDVI would be best (from what I've read).
    Check out AVS or Hometheaterforum,, there was a lot of chatter about the HD version when it first came out. i recall reading a few posts that indicated it was a cool!

Thanks guys - is thier a price tag attached to that program?
    And will it attach or overwrite my current realplayer program. I had to pay like $30 for that one awhile back....
    PS3 and HD Front Projection, life is good. Too bad Blu-Ray and the PS3 are already obsolete.....

Polk-a-dweeb

No idea on that one Scott.

Downloaded - no problem - no charge. It just updated the current program.
    My projector has BCN, RGB and serial ports.
    Thanks again.

***Update***
    After an hour of setup. Tons of copyrights and what not even one for HD itself. I got it going.
    But my 4 year old computer is not "buff" enuff to smoothly play the HD. Processor - Ghz - Ram - graphics card.......
    Bummer :(

thats one disappointing story. sorry that it didnt turn out the way u wanted. maybe when u have a nicer computer u can do it.
    SDA 2B
    Carver m0.5t
    AMC pre
    Cobalt Cables

Polk-a-dweeb

Originally posted by scottvamp
    ***Update***
    After an hour of setup. Tons of copyrights and what not even one for HD itself. I got it going.
    But my 4 year old computer is not "buff" enuff to smoothly play the HD. Processor - Ghz - Ram - graphics card.......
    Bummer :(
    sniff, sniff........Lone Ranger! Me smell'um Fire!!!

No Tonto, thats Scott thinking of a way to get a new computer.

Time to upgrade! Bummer!;)

I will be looking into it. My computer kicks A$$ - but for the HD playback I need more power captain.
    Not a big deal - just for one movie - and it still may not yeild the results i'm looking for.
    Thanks for the responces guys!!!!!!!

Default DVHS

Why not jus go the DVHS route to tide you over till the HDDVD/BluRay comes out??
    62" Mitsu 1080p DLP
    Center - CS400
    Fronts - RT2000p's
    Sides - Martin Logan Scripts
    Rears - Martin Logan Scripts

Good question but not going to drop the dough for hardware and software (all software I would have to buy) that is going to be soon obsolete.... I would like to "borrow" one and check it out though

Default hdtv dvd players

I have the new Samsung DVD HD 931. I have it hooked up to a 27" Samsung Sansus HDTV. It upconverts the signal to 1080i. I have had many people coment on how good the signal looks. Its not HDTV but in my opinion it is very hard to tell the difference most of the time. Unless you were watching two sets side by side I think you would be hard pressed to tell the difference. It must be hooked up with a DVI cable for best picture.

Default Re: DVHS

Originally posted by The Darkhorse
    Why not jus go the DVHS route to tide you over till the HDDVD/BluRay comes out??
    Because there isn't much source material for DVHS? Plus, I just don't like tapes.

Most of the Radeon series cards from ATI are able to output HD via an adapter. Check it out on www.ati.com
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200

Make sure to use the DVI outputs/inputs when upscaling to 720p or 1080i. 720p and 1080i are true HD signals. Obviously be sure your HDTV monitor supports either one of those native resolutions.

Dan

Thread Information