Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default A Little Confused

The drivers that were in my RTA-8Ts were mw-6511. Looking at the spec sheet, it says that they were assembled with mw-6510s. I found some mw-6516s on ebay for a fair price, but after a little researching, those are for the RTA 8TLs. Would it make much of a difference throwing those in?
    "My wife likes my rig......HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!"

B&W CDM 1NT; B&W CDM CNT; Infinity us 1; Velodyne DEQ-8 x2; Pio Elite VSX-23; Sony SCD-CE595 SACD, Denon DP11-F TT[/COLOR]

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Thanks Ken. I don't know why mine had 6511s. Sounded great though! Now, I did buy them at an airbase in Germany in 1989, but I don't see why that would matter. The 6516s were used in the RTA 8TLs. Maybe they would do just fine.

B&W CDM 1NT; B&W CDM CNT; Infinity us 1; Velodyne DEQ-8 x2; Pio Elite VSX-23; Sony SCD-CE595 SACD, Denon DP11-F TT[/COLOR]

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Could be something as simple as the addition of bucking magnets for shielding. That was the case the last time I ordered a replacement driver for one of my LS50's. Good luck. Don't spend too much on replacement drivers though. I found my RTA8t's on CL and got them fully functional for $30. Best $30 I ever spent!

Quote Originally Posted by ken brydson View Post
    Could be something as simple as the addition of bucking magnets for shielding. That was the case the last time I ordered a replacement driver for one of my LS50's. Good luck. Don't spend too much on replacement drivers though. I found my RTA8t's on CL and got them fully functional for $30. Best $30 I ever spent!
    30 bucks!? Uhhh...that would be nice. I sold the drivers out of mine for 100.00 so I'm not opposed to spending that much to get them back, but of course, cheaper is always better. I can get 4 6516s shipped for under 100, but just want to make sure they will work.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Would it make much of a difference throwing those in?
    Yes, I believe it would. I don't have the specs for that driver, but I can't imagine it's close to either the 6510 or 6511.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Quote Originally Posted by deronb1 View Post
    The drivers that were in my RTA-8Ts were mw-6511. Looking at the spec sheet, it says that they were assembled with mw-6510s. I found some mw-6516s on ebay for a fair price, but after a little researching, those are for the RTA 8TLs. Would it make much of a difference throwing those in?
    According to this thread: http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...intage-Support
    Both the 6510 and 6511 are still available directly from Polk Customer Service. Give them a call, and mention you're a Club Polk Member, and shipping should be free.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL
    Center: Custom Built http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...hannel-Project
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...rround-Project
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat & Hurricane Nuts.
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-350
    Other:
    SDA-CRS+
    Bose 901 Series II Continentals, Custom Rebuilt Equalizer
    www.dhsspeakerservice.com

Quote Originally Posted by westmassguy View Post
    According to this thread: http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...intage-Support
    Both the 6510 and 6511 are still available directly from Polk Customer Service. Give them a call, and mention you're a Club Polk Member, and shipping should be free.
    Thanks, but I don't want to put that much money back in them. I will keep looking used.

Quote Originally Posted by deronb1 View Post
    Thanks, but I don't want to put that much money back in them. I will keep looking used.
    Point taken. What's confusing, is the different drivers Polk used. The three schematics available here, show the original 8T used 6501s, the 8T revision used 6510s, and the 8TLs used 6516s. The 6501s and 6510s are 8 ohm nominal, while your original 6511s are 4 ohm drivers. I can't find the specs on the 6516, but the three that are known have quite different T/S parameters. Very strange.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL
    Center: Custom Built http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...hannel-Project
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...rround-Project
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat & Hurricane Nuts.
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-350
    Other:
    SDA-CRS+
    Bose 901 Series II Continentals, Custom Rebuilt Equalizer
    www.dhsspeakerservice.com

Thread Information