Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Craigslist was good to me today...

So I was browsing CL last night and was specifically looking for a Pioneer Elite DVD/SACD player. Ended up finding a DV-47A which was awesome in itself.
    But I also saw the same guy had a pair of JBL 4800s.
    Texts were exchanged, directions were given and off I go 40 miles west of my house.

This guy is definitely an audiophile. His listening room (and apparently his garage too lol) was packed with some quality equipment. He and his buddy (ironically the original owner of the 4800s) were playing around with a new tube amp when I got there.

He had everything hooked up for me to listen too but I already knew I wanted both items.
    $100 later, I have a shiny new (to me) DV-47A and a pair of quite literally like new JBL 4800s.
    The 2 guys are the 2 owners of the JBLs and they swear between them they don't even have enough hours to be broken in. And from their appearance, I believe them. They look factory new.

So without further ado, my new pair of 2 channel speakers...
    Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  531.1 KB

Grilles are flawless. Drivers are perfect and they are unmodified. I do plan on replacing the spring terminals with a set of quality binding posts and quite possibly re-wiring them with better wire but other than that, I am just going to enjoy them.
    "Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    I may have an addiction... RTA-15TL, SDA 2, LSi25, LSi15, LSi9, LSi7, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LS/FX, RT/FX, DSW MP2000...and that's just the Polks...

Man those are pristine, congrats and nice snag.
    Theater Room: Pioneer Elite SC-35, RTi12's, Csi5, Fxi5's, Fxi3's, ED A5-350 sub, Optoma HD20, 92'' Elite Screen, Xbox One, APC H15, MIT Exp 2 SC's, Pepster PC's

Living Room: Martin Logan EM ESL's, Peachtree Audio iNova, MIT AVT2 SC's & IC's, Pepster PC, Sharp Aquos 60'', Sony BDP S-790, Airport Express

Bedroom: Panasonic AX200U projector, 110" screen

Outdoor: Polk Atrium 5's, Yamaha Rxv371

Almost bought the matching bookshelf speakers from him but decided I need to stop myself. I have already spent way too much over the last 2 months on audio and we haven't even built our house yet. So we still don't have dedicated listening areas hehe.
    "Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    I may have an addiction... RTA-15TL, SDA 2, LSi25, LSi15, LSi9, LSi7, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LS/FX, RT/FX, DSW MP2000...and that's just the Polks...

I have a pile of Elite BD players.
    BDP-94HD. For some reason I dont have any remotes...

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ayers/BDP-94HD
    Last edited by RamZet; 01-05-2013 at 09:55 PM.

LOL, this guy was the same way. He had one Elite remote and like 6 Elite devices sitting around there.

Member Sales Rating: (41)

Those 4800's have a real decent sound to them. I picked up a pair for the heck of it at a garage sale this past summer for $10. They had some nicks and dings in the cabs, but the drivers were perfect. Hooked 'em up in my main room for a listen before putting them to garage duty, and I was mighty impressed. One of the better used bargain speakers you can find out there, IMO. Congrats on the pickup!

nice score

I need to start rummaging CL! Well done!

That player is a nice unit. It certainly bests my oppo in playback, nice detailed sound.

Well this is an interesting thread. I just bought my first pair of Polk's today (TSI 400's) and gave away the mains that they replaced.........JBL 4800's. I've had those JBL's since the 90's and loved them for old school rock music but they just didn't cut it in a modern home theater set up. The rest of the system is all old time JBL too and I plan on replacing all of it, a SC305 center, Northbridge E150P sub and a pair of Pro Performers for the rears.

I received a new Denon 1913 receiver for Christmas and that's what started the whole upgrade cycle. It replaced an old Sony STRDE 835 receiver (gave that away too) so I'm a good 20 years behind the upgrade curve. Any suggestions on a center and surrounds? I might keep the sub unless it should be replaced too.

I'd go Cs20 and Tsi 200's for center and surrounds, you can always upgrade the sub and get nice benefits when the budget allows.
    Theater Room: Pioneer Elite SC-35, RTi12's, Csi5, Fxi5's, Fxi3's, ED A5-350 sub, Optoma HD20, 92'' Elite Screen, Xbox One, APC H15, MIT Exp 2 SC's, Pepster PC's

Living Room: Martin Logan EM ESL's, Peachtree Audio iNova, MIT AVT2 SC's & IC's, Pepster PC, Sharp Aquos 60'', Sony BDP S-790, Airport Express

Bedroom: Panasonic AX200U projector, 110" screen

Outdoor: Polk Atrium 5's, Yamaha Rxv371

Very nice pluck.Those JBLs look like older brothers to my J-2060 bookies.For some reason and I've seen a bunch of later Jbl speakers and generally they have a sheen to them that's almost blinding.Well almost.
    2chl- Adcom 555- NAD 1020a pre- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Samson - 9 outlet- Niles - 6 zone spkr selector- DCM TF 350s- ADC 303ax- KLH 331- Polk Audio '87 SDA 2Bs w/ ic cable (Dynamat extreme, black hole-5- Mills 0.5 resistor, liquid nails, RDO- 194 tweeters, Larry's rings, Armaflex gaskets, stained walnut tops )

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #500HD Speaker set- Sony ce 375 5 disc carosel cdp-

Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL J2060

Default One upmanship?

I picked up a pair of Polk Rt 15i speakers today for.... well... a few dollars.
    A yard sale, in New England in January? With a pair of Polk speakers?
    I'm not complaining :-)

Thread Information