Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Just got an email from Paul as Oregondv.com and I'll have the spikes by the end of the week!

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Quote Originally Posted by janmike View Post
    Grant will always do custom jobs as well.
    I was under the impression that Grant at Mye Sound wasn't going to make his spikes with 1/4-20 thread any more, period. Do you know differently because when it comes to brass spikes, his are the best bar none.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    I was under the impression that Grant at Mye Sound wasn't going to make his spikes with 1/4-20 thread any more, period. Do you know differently because when it comes to brass spikes, his are the best bar none.
    I contacted Grant over a year ago about doing custom spikes (Thread) and he indicated that they would cost more, but he could have them done. Maybe things have changed.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I need to find a pair of exceptionally dull spikes.

My RTiA7 spikes damage my floors.
    Polk Fronts: RTi A7's
    Polk Center: CSi A6
    Polk Surrounds: FXi A6's
    Polk Rear Surround: RTi4
    Sub: HSU VTF-3 (MK1)
    AVR: Yamaha RX-A2010
    B&K Reference 200.7
    TV: Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Oppo BDP-103

Quote Originally Posted by badchad View Post

Take a hammer and put a small dent into a penny with a nail, take said penny and put it underneath spike. Done.
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Member Sales Rating: (7)

Starsound Audio Points appear to still be available. Note that they are very expensive...

http://www.starsoundtechnologies.com/shopping.html

I've had a set of the wide body spikes for several years, purchased when they were less than half the price they are now. I wouldn't spend as much as they cost now, but someone with very high end and heavy speakers might purchase some of these.

Audio Advisor also has these, which look like a nice design:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MLETC

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo...mber=MLETCMINI
    Last edited by Emlyn; 01-15-2013 at 04:11 PM.

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Name:  !BONjF!gCGk~$(KGrHgoH-E!EjlLl0T+JBJthJVDym!~~_12.JPG
Views: 231
Size:  9.8 KB

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4pcs-NEW-SOL...item460482fdb0

Member Sales Rating: (22)

Directly over the center of the earth in Olathe Kansas

Quote Originally Posted by Emlyn View Post
    Starsound Audio Points appear to still be available. Note that they are very expensive...

http://www.starsoundtechnologies.com/shopping.html

I've had a set of the wide body spikes for several years, purchased when they were less than half the price they are now. I wouldn't spend as much as they cost now, but someone with very high end and heavy speakers might purchase some of these.

Audio Advisor also has these, which look like a nice design:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MLETC

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo...mber=MLETCMINI
    I really like the starsound spikes but like you say, pricey.

The ML ECs is what I almost went with until I got some suggestions from Jesse. The ML ECs are not cheap either but I bet they work well.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs

Ofc: Wright WLA12 preamp: Anthem Amp 1: Pio Elite DV-79AVI: Airport Express: CAL Sigma II DAC: PA LS90 sonicaps and mills

Very dumb question, but are those the correct size for the RTiA7s?

I would use the penny idea, but find that moving the speakers is somewhat difficult. I have to lift the speakers, then have a second pair of hands to align the pennies below the spikes.
    Polk Fronts: RTi A7's
    Polk Center: CSi A6
    Polk Surrounds: FXi A6's
    Polk Rear Surround: RTi4
    Sub: HSU VTF-3 (MK1)
    AVR: Yamaha RX-A2010
    B&K Reference 200.7
    TV: Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Oppo BDP-103

Quote Originally Posted by thsmith View Post
    Thats a bummer, looks like finding some nice spikes is going to be challenging.
    My problem is what to replace the spikes with. Too tuff to move my RTi10s around for us old folks. I need something other than the spikes!

Member Sales Rating: (26)

Quote Originally Posted by wuzznnmee View Post
    My problem is what to replace the spikes with. Too tuff to move my RTi10s around for us old folks. I need something other than the spikes!
    I would use the penny idea, but find that moving the speakers is somewhat difficult. I have to lift the speakers, then have a second pair of hands to align the pennies below the spikes.
    Hello, badchad. Welcome to the forum, wuzznnmee. Have you guys ever thought about installing a plinth underneath the speakers? You can have the spikes sit on top of that plinth and simply slide said plinth around to your desired location. I have a hardwood plinth that my speakers sit on and it's much easier to move the speakers now, while still utilizing the benefits of the spikes. The wood gave the sound an overall warmer feel with no downside and with my very heavy speakers being on carpet, my back thanks me. I would not recommend placing pennies or any type of protective disc underneath the spikes when using a plinth as the end result as to what hits your ears isn't preferable.

I also noticed one other attribute to a plinth which may or may not be the case with you. They raised the height of each main by about an inch and a half which put the tweeter exactly at my ear level when seated in my listening position. The end result raised the entire sound stage and I was no longer "looking down" at the perceived sound stage and the overall imaging improved as a result.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

Member Sales Rating: (9)

Don't know if you still have the need but it looks like the Extra Points are back in stock at Meniscus.

Make your own if your handy. Outriggers are the bomb! Someone with a sharp eye will know what I used as spikes lol. Someone with a REALLY sharp eye (and from Canada) will know what I used to protect the floor. (Hint, they cost me exactly $1.00) Sorry the pic is so big.
    Attached Images  
    Two Channel-SDA SRS 1.2tl's,modded. Carver a-753x, Technics 1200mk2, Nad 515bee,Soundstage vacuum two pre
    HT-Denon avr3808ci,Carver a-753x,Panasonic ae4000 projector,120" screen,ps3,wii console w/full rockband,Panamax conditioner,dbx120 subharmonic synthesizer,jvc dvd-a player, Polk RTi12 mains,Polk CSiA6 centre, Energy ES-18xl sub,two custom 10" powered subs, Def Tech bp2x surrounds(4),Paradigm monitors-rear(2)

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Emlyn View Post
    I have both these spikes and they are made for making sure your speakers dont go anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by allstock View Post
    Make your own if your handy. Outriggers are the bomb! Someone with a sharp eye will know what I used as spikes lol. Someone with a REALLY sharp eye (and from Canada) will know what I used to protect the floor. (Hint, they cost me exactly $1.00) Sorry the pic is so big.
    Waste of perfectly good loonies!

Someone with a sharp eye will know what I used as spikes
    Plumb Bobs.

I have to tell you though, they make your speakers too high.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (31)

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Mike, what thread pattern are they using?

Member Sales Rating: (31)

I'll try to find out.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by treitz3 View Post
    Hello, badchad. Welcome to the forum, wuzznnmee. Have you guys ever thought about installing a plinth underneath the speakers? You can have the spikes sit on top of that plinth and simply slide said plinth around to your desired location. I have a hardwood plinth that my speakers sit on and it's much easier to move the speakers now, while still utilizing the benefits of the spikes. The wood gave the sound an overall warmer feel with no downside and with my very heavy speakers being on carpet, my back thanks me. I would not recommend placing pennies or any type of protective disc underneath the spikes when using a plinth as the end result as to what hits your ears isn't preferable.

I also noticed one other attribute to a plinth which may or may not be the case with you. They raised the height of each main by about an inch and a half which put the tweeter exactly at my ear level when seated in my listening position. The end result raised the entire sound stage and I was no longer "looking down" at the perceived sound stage and the overall imaging improved as a result.

Tom
    Tom how is the plinth helping to couple the speakers to the floor? It's still sitting on carpet below the plinth so the speakers are not any better off than before if I am right.

Wouldn't you want to spike the plinth and then just put the speakers in it.

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Sales Rating
    Gear

Mike, what thread pattern are they using?
    I looked at those and if I remember correctly they are 6mm.
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2

Ofc: Wright WLA12 preamp: Anthem Amp 1: Pio Elite DV-79AVI: Airport Express: CAL Sigma II DAC: PA LS90 sonicaps and mills

Quote Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
    Tom how is the plinth helping to couple the speakers to the floor? It's still sitting on carpet below the plinth so the speakers are not any better off than before if I am right. Wouldn't you want to spike the plinth and then just put the speakers in it.
    Hello, EndersShadow. I'll be the first to tell you that I'm not the one to talk too when it comes to coupling or decoupling a speaker. I just know what end result I prefer within my rig. In my case, with my rig and in my listening room, I happen to prefer the end result of the plinths resting on the carpet and the speakers spiked and sitting on the hardwood plinths. If you really want to talk with a professional industry expert about this, I would invite you to read the first page of the thread linked below ask him directly.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...o-loudspeakers

Gary L. Koh is the CEO of Genesis Advanced Technologies, the maker of Genesis loudspeakers. He's a great guy to talk too, knows his audio and he's got a plethora of knowledge on this very subject. We were talking elsewhere about me using pennies on the plinths and he knew before I removed them [a two month experiment] that they most likely would not remain. He was right. He actually predicted my observations before I disclosed them. So with that said, if there ever was an authority to talk too about this subject, he would definitely be one of them.

I really do not care about the science behind all of it. All I care about is the end result as to what hits these ears. One of these days, I will get around to spiking the plinths the mains sit on as well but that will most likely not happen for a while. I like the end result of the plinths and with the mains being somewhat in a "tight" area [no dedicated listening room anymore. When my son was born, he got that room], I like the fact that the speakers can be moved rather easily when equipment/cables come and go. When I do end up getting a dedicated listening room back, then I will try spiking the plinths as well and see what that does to the end result.

When the plinths were installed, there was the height factor and the change of the perceived height of the sound stage. That was a pleasant surprise. I did not notice anything that detracted from the end result, just a warmer sound, slightly improved bass response [most likely due to the bass drivers wavefront changing in relation to my ear position] and the clarity improved ever so slightly. Well, until I tried the penny experiment which ended up being futile. Perhaps the weight of the speaker has something to do with it. They are very heavy speakers.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

Thanks Tom, I also don't pro port to be the end all on this I just had always read you wanted the spikes in direct contact with the floor.

I will read that thread when I have time (on my iPhone right now).

I appreciate your response and am glad your setup is working well for you.

IIRC you've got Tyler Loudspeakers and from what I recall they are some BEASTS both weight and sound wise so I can totally see where your setup is perfect for you.

Sales Rating
    Gear

Spike those plinths, Tom.

You gonna move the speakers for me Jesse? My back hurts just thinking about it. Damn things weigh about what I do. It used to take me a half an hour to an hour per speaker to get them adjusted down to an 8th of an inch on all parameters and then I had to adjust the levelness which would throw off the measurements again. What an aggravation! I used to dread doing this. Now, it takes me less than 4 to 5 minutes per speaker and I can get the measurements down to within a 16th of an inch on all parameters and not be sore for the next week or two.

Sorry, but that ain't gonna happen until I get a dedicated listening room back with room to walk around the speakers if needed.

Tom
    Last edited by treitz3; 01-27-2013 at 01:32 PM.

Brass and Granite Audio also have speaker spikes and I think 1/4-20.
    Home Theatre.............

Pioneer SC-35
    Polk RTi10's Fronts
    Polk CSiA6 Center
    RTi4 Surrounds
    SVS PB-12 Sub

2 Channel.............................

Yaqin MC-100B
    Energy RC-70 Speakers
    Arcam CD-192 Disc Player
    Van Den Hul Interconnects

Quote Originally Posted by larry777 View Post
    Brass and Granite Audio also have speaker spikes and I think 1/4-20.
    Thier 1" is 6mm, most of the ones longer than 1" have option for 1/4-20. For me the 1" is about right.

Plumb Bobs.

I have to tell you though, they make your speakers too high.
    Too high for what?
    Two Channel-SDA SRS 1.2tl's,modded. Carver a-753x, Technics 1200mk2, Nad 515bee,Soundstage vacuum two pre
    HT-Denon avr3808ci,Carver a-753x,Panasonic ae4000 projector,120" screen,ps3,wii console w/full rockband,Panamax conditioner,dbx120 subharmonic synthesizer,jvc dvd-a player, Polk RTi12 mains,Polk CSiA6 centre, Energy ES-18xl sub,two custom 10" powered subs, Def Tech bp2x surrounds(4),Paradigm monitors-rear(2)

Too high for the proper tweeter height. The third tweeter down should be at ear level when seated.

Quote Originally Posted by treitz3 View Post
    You gonna move the speakers for me Jesse? My back hurts just thinking about it. Damn things weigh about what I do. It used to take me a half an hour to an hour per speaker to get them adjusted down to an 8th of an inch on all parameters and then I had to adjust the levelness which would throw off the measurements again. What an aggravation! I used to dread doing this. Now, it takes me less than 4 to 5 minutes per speaker and I can get the measurements down to within a 16th of an inch on all parameters and not be sore for the next week or two.

Sorry, but that ain't gonna happen until I get a dedicated listening room back with room to walk around the speakers if needed.

Tom
    Excuses...excuses

Thread Information