Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Starting Room Treatments

So I scoured craigslist this morning to find some 8'x4'x3" fiberglass panels for sale at $20 per. I wasn't really intending to build any in the near future, but at the price, I went ahead and picked up all 11 he had for sale (couple for me and the rest for other local polkies I gave a heads up to). This is my first venture into this arena and would appreciate any do's/don'ts or any other advice that could be shared.

I plan on putting one full sheet behind my projector screen. Another Polkie shared w/ me the mirror trick about first reflections, so I'll be doing that. Where else do I need to address? I assume I would need some directly behind the listening position? The room is 12x14.

Name:  WP_000374.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  262.4 KB
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    So I scoured craigslist this morning to find some 8'x4'x3" fiberglass panels for sale at $20 per. I wasn't really intending to build any in the near future, but at the price, I went ahead and picked up all 11 he had for sale (couple for me and the rest for other local polkies I gave a heads up to). This is my first venture into this arena and would appreciate any do's/don'ts or any other advice that could be shared.

I plan on putting one full sheet behind my projector screen. Another Polkie shared w/ me the mirror trick about first reflections, so I'll be doing that. Where else do I need to address? I assume I would need some directly behind the listening position? The room is 12x14.

Attachment 80004
    Skip,
    You could always treat your garage doors. Cooler in summer and warmer during winter. The "Do's" my rec is to deliver them and the "Don'ts" is not charge for them. Hehehehe.

What I have always wondered about the mirror trick, is that you zone in to a central location aka sweet spot. If you shifted left or right a little, would the reflection be different in which the whole place must be treated? For movies that is. Or I are treatments strictly 2 channel?

Man that is the most uncluttered garage I've ever seen!

Think about the wall behind the speakers, corners, side walls. Sorry, no good advice from experience.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer

Member Sales Rating: (22)

Directly over the center of the earth in Olathe Kansas

Keep them about an 1" from the wall. If you plan to cover with cloth material make plastic corners to protect the corners and makes it easy to slide cover on.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs

Ofc: Wright WLA12 preamp: Anthem Amp 1: Pio Elite DV-79AVI: Airport Express: CAL Sigma II DAC: PA LS90 sonicaps and mills

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Static double post! The second one is better.
    Last edited by SCompRacer; 01-20-2013 at 11:23 AM.
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell KRC-HR Class A Pre w/ Reference Phono
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Harmonic Technology Pro 9+
    Squeezebox Touch / Welborne Labs PS / I2S Out Mod
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC
    Sennheiser HD650
    Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive
    AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm
    AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R
    Shunyata Hydra (Original)
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Quote Originally Posted by drumminman View Post
    Man that is the most uncluttered garage I've ever seen!

Think about the wall behind the speakers, corners, side walls.
    I agree with both of these comments!

Check out GIK Acoustics articles, they even have videos (under the education tab). The more effort you put into understanding room problems, the better you can plan to solve them.

http://gikacoustics.com/articles/

It is good to see acoustic treatment activity, either DIY or purchased as finished product. I started to use acoustic treatments late in my audio lifetime and regret not using them sooner.

What will you cover them with? There are suppliers that offer Guilford of Maine fabrics (they are sound transparent) by the yard with no minimum to match any room decor. My wife picked out the fabric color for mine (I'm partially color blind, never know what I might end up with...lol).
    Last edited by SCompRacer; 01-20-2013 at 11:23 AM.
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell KRC-HR Class A Pre w/ Reference Phono
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Harmonic Technology Pro 9+
    Squeezebox Touch / Welborne Labs PS / I2S Out Mod
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC
    Sennheiser HD650
    Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive
    AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm
    AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R
    Shunyata Hydra (Original)
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

Member Sales Rating: (49)

WOW!! You can make some nice RT's. my advice is when you make the frames be sure to leave at least a 2" gap between the wall and insulation. You can see how they are made on the GIK website..

Have fun!!
    No Way But The Hard Way, So Get Used To It!!!

So I started by cutting 4 1'x8' panels for the corners of the room. I plan on doing 4 2'x4' panels, one on each side for first reflection, and two behind the listening position. I also will put a full sheet behind my projector screen as well.

My next question is this: Would this material be good for covering the door to prevent so much sound to resonate through the house? The way the house is set up, it kind of acts like a horn towards the front door.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    So I scoured craigslist this morning to find some 8'x4'x3" fiberglass panels for sale at $20 per. I wasn't really intending to build any in the near future, but at the price, I went ahead and picked up all 11 he had for sale (couple for me and the rest for other local polkies I gave a heads up to). Attachment 80004
    Where are you located, I'm in Houston/Katy? I've been looking in craigslist for acoustic panels with no luck.
    HT:
    Projector - JVC HD100, 100" Fixed Screen, A/V Receiver - Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH, Power Conditioner - Panamax M5300-EX, BluRay - Sony PS3 Looking for a gently used Oppo BD95, Speakers - RTiA9's, CSiA6, FXi A4, Sub - 12" M&K VX-1250

Living Room:
    TV - Kuro Elite PRO-111FD, Fronts.Rti10's (not connected yet), Media source, Logitech Revue

*Need to fix a used ADCOM GFA-555. Do you know where to have it services in Texas (Houston Area)?

No it will not prevent nor really help with sound in the rest of the home. Closing off the room would but I think that is beyond the scope of this project.
    Absolute corruption empowers absolutely.

Lg 55LW5600 TV
    Onkyo PR-SC 5508
    Legacy Audio Focus SE
    Legacy Audio Silverscreen HD center
    Polk F/X500i Rears
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Sunfire Grand Cinema
    Behringer iNUKE NU6000DSP
    Pair of CraigSUB SS-18.1

Quote Originally Posted by pablo_rodz View Post
    Where are you located, I'm in Houston/Katy? I've been looking in craigslist for acoustic panels with no luck.
    I'm in the Dallas area. I searched for a bit before I found the magic key words.

Alright, so I've started the process. I've cut everything I'm going to cut for the time being. I scratched the idea of a full slab behind my PJ. I just really don't want to mess with it right now. I also modified my plans thanks to the GIK link S provided (ty sir!). At this point, I've cut the 1'x8' slabs for each corner, four 1.5'x3' slabs for first reflection points on side walls, and two 2'x3' slabs for behind the listening position. At this point, I've probably spent twice as much on fabric as I have on the actual material, but I don't want them to look cheap. I found two fabrics I really liked. The first pic shows what I wrapped the two back-wall slabs in. Its kind of a suede, so I figured it would be a good material to grab a little more deadening impact (could be dead wrong here, but I still like it!).

Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000376.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	302.7 KB
ID:	80545

The second picture shows what everything else will be wrapped in. Its a pattern-stitched copper-tone silk that actually looks brown (almost black) or copper depending on how the light hits it. Its almost exactly what I had wanted to find when I started this project. Best thing is, its only $7/yard.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000377.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	412.2 KB
ID:	80546

Wrapping it has been easy. This project gave my wife a reason to get the staple gun she's been wanting for about a year. I've done the covering by pulling it snug around the corners and stapling it to the back of the boards. I have yet to get these attached to the walls, but its been fun so far. This is quite a time-consuming process.
    Last edited by DSkip; 01-27-2013 at 08:30 PM.

Very nice Skip, like your choices of material
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables
    Office rig: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures

Member Sales Rating: (37)

(In my best Randy Quiad voice):

Those are nice, Clark. Reeaall nice.

Hope mine turn out as well.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Those look very nice...

Do you mine sharing the magic words for the search? I wish you were closer, I would buy a few panels from you.
    HT:
    Projector - JVC HD100, 100" Fixed Screen, A/V Receiver - Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH, Power Conditioner - Panamax M5300-EX, BluRay - Sony PS3 Looking for a gently used Oppo BD95, Speakers - RTiA9's, CSiA6, FXi A4, Sub - 12" M&K VX-1250

Living Room:
    TV - Kuro Elite PRO-111FD, Fronts.Rti10's (not connected yet), Media source, Logitech Revue

*Need to fix a used ADCOM GFA-555. Do you know where to have it services in Texas (Houston Area)?

I searched for everything I could think of with just about any combination of these words: fiberglass, acoustic, panel, panels, insulation, room treatments, wall treatments....

I don't suspect this kind of stuff comes up much. I did see where there is a studio in Houston selling their entire collection of room treatments. Guy wants $1k for it all. Doesn't look like its overpriced really, just a lot of money up-front and more than most would ever need. I really feel lucky having found this stuff for that price. For what I'm doing my entire room for, I could've probably only gotten roughly 3-4 pre-made 2'x4' panels.

Did you use any type of frame around the fiberglass? Wood or plastic, or were you able to wrap it after cutting it to size, as is? I've never handled this type of material before, is it fragile? Does it break or dent easily? Do you cut it like wall board, score it with a utility knife and then bend until it snaps in two? Or do you have to use a circular saw?

That fabric you used is wicked cool!
    Pioneer Elite SC-05 | Pioneer BDP-51FD | Pangea: AC-9SE, AC-14 PC's
    Monster PowerCenter HTS 5000 | Sony Bravia KDL-46S4100 | Dish HDTV
    Polk: RTi8 Towers, CSi5 Center, F/Xi3 Surrounds, CSi3 Single Rear | Polk Subs: PSW125-12", PSW303-8"
    Douglas Connection: Furez DCF124BW SC's | AudioQuest Chocolate HDMI | Monster: M850 SW-12, ULT I1000FO-4 IC's
    Acoustic Treatments OC703 | Dynamat: Components, Baskets

No frame. This type of fiberglass is very stiff and didn't need it. If you were to use something more like the blow-in insulation, you'd need a frame.

So were you happy with the changes you got with the sound stage those panels would be great for above 100hz or so bass is a nightmare for what you need to do to trap it.
    Absolute corruption empowers absolutely.

Lg 55LW5600 TV
    Onkyo PR-SC 5508
    Legacy Audio Focus SE
    Legacy Audio Silverscreen HD center
    Polk F/X500i Rears
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Sunfire Grand Cinema
    Behringer iNUKE NU6000DSP
    Pair of CraigSUB SS-18.1

Quote Originally Posted by Phasewolf View Post
    So were you happy with the changes you got with the sound stage those panels would be great for above 100hz or so bass is a nightmare for what you need to do to trap it.
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...quot-done-quot

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Looking real good! I like the material.

I used the GIK bass traps. They had some material that matched my wall colors. Good luck with your project.
    Carl

Thread Information