Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Angry dvd keeps skipping....

Just looking to find out what I can do to stop my piece of crap dvd player to stop skipping. Everytime I slide out of my recliner or stand up from it makes a bit of static and my dvd skips. It only started doing this about a month ago. I'm eventually going to get a panasonic dvd-s55s or something similar but since I dont have the cash I'm going to have to put up with my crap one for a while longer. Any suggestions?

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Mike,

What DVD player do u currently own? To prevent dvds from skipping, the better ones come with larger disc stabilizers that absorb shocks and also dual shock absorbing covers.

Cheaper brands of course do not have such features. Their primary function is to play a dvd for as long as they can and thats it. They do not have any good disc stability hardware/software built in.

You can get some good deals on DVDs at www.clubmac.com or www.jandr.com. Some time ago, clubmac had Denon DVD900 refurbs for $109 in comparison to the retail price of $249.99. I have a refurb HP laptop that has lasted me for 18 months w/o any kind of problems...so I do have some faith in good brand refurbs (if ur short on cash right now). Also, go to www.dealtime.com or www.shopping.com to get the best prices on a certain product from various retailers.

Also, for the time being all I can suggest is...once u play ur movie, don't get up from the recliner. If you do, pause it. Disc skipping may cause scratches on the disc.

ok thanks i'll have to check out some of those.:p

Member Sales Rating: (10)

I don't think skipping could possibly scratch the disc as nothing touches it. As a quick fix try isolating the player a bit. If you've got an old mouse pad laying around, cut 4 pieces and place them under the players feet and see if that does the trick. There are alot of "higher tech" isolation/damping materials but this cheap fix might do it for you. Good luck!
    HT/Main- Panny 50" G10 Plasma, Pioneer Elite VSX01 AVR, Panny DMP-BD60 BDP, Polk LS90 mains, CS350LS center, LS/fx side surrounds, LS50 surround backs, SVS 25-31PC+ sub, Harmony One

Office Rig- Marantz 2252B, Sony CDP-C8ESD CDP, Kenwood KD2070 TT, Polk RTA 12B's

hmm it seems it only skips when I use the coax connection cause I just tried using the analog (2 ch) and it won't skip. so maybe the coax is extra succeptable to static....

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I think I'd at least try working with the cable, and maybe a new cable. If it does it ONLY with the coax, then it doesn't sound like it is the transport. Maybe the cable is loose... or bad.
    HT: Denon 1910, LG blu-ray, Def Tech ProCinema 100s, Stryke 12" sonosub.
    LR: Onkyo TX-84 (original owner), Aiwa AD-F850 (original owner), Philips TT (old school, 2nd owner), Philips CD (cheap-o), Monitor 5jr+ (original owner - actually, my wife is the original owner; she bought them new when we were dating - sealed the deal).
    Xbox 360/Wii/Kids: Old school huge Sony HD TV, Sherwood RD-6500, Philips DVD, pair Def Tech ProCinema 100.

Member Sales Rating: (5)

Hi Michael,

At the risk of sounding obvious, what type of cable are you using for your digital coax cable? I would agree with burdette's assessment that the coax cable may be suspect.

Welcome to Club Polk, good to see some others from my neck of the woods.

regards

Dave
    Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately it kills all its students.

I'm using a plain rca cable for my coax (cause a guy from the store I bought my amp said that an rca works fine instead of buying a real coax cable). So maybe thats my problem - I need a real coax cable. But before I go and buy a coax cable im going to try a different cable and see if it changes anything.

O yeah dave forgot to ask where do you live?

Welcome to Club Polk, good so see some others from my neck of the woods.

Member Sales Rating: (5)

Many people say you can get away with plain rca cable and I've seen some friends who have used it with no apparent loss of quality. Your setup appears to be more sensitive.

If you can find a shop that will let you try the digital coax and return it (if doesn't improve things significantly), that would be great. At the very least, you might want to try a video cable, it has the same 75 ohm impedence and should be better shielded then the typical rca connectors.

I'm out in North Delta now but grew up in 'Ditchmond' ;)
    We were out in the South Arm park area.

regards

Dave
    Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately it kills all its students.

So I tried a different rca cable to use as a coax and it did nothing lol. So I guess when I get some money i'll get a real coax but for the meantime when I plan on wandering around my room i'll just use the analog (cause it doesnt skip). Thanks for all your replys people!

Thread Information