Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Digital Newbie - Need Help

I'm trying to get a hold on this newer format and haven't found an answer anywhere. My question is my Oppo 83SE player has a USB port. Could I download FLAC files from HD Tracks to my computer, copy that to a thumb drive, and plug that into the Oppo and maintain the high quality? Or do I need some other gear to make this work. My computer and stereo equipment are in different rooms. I currently don't have wi-fi.

Thanks for the help!

I took a look at the Oppo 83SE manual, and it looks like you can listen to audio files through the USB input. The manual doesn't specify which types of files it'll play, so you may have to experiment. It says it will only play from "USB Mass Storage Class Bulk-Only Transport", but that this includes "[m]ost USB thumbs drives, portable hard disk drives and card readers". Probably won't work from an ipod or other Apple device; it seems like manufacturers have to get a license from Apple to do this, and I don't see any "ipod-ready" notices. I could be wrong, though.

As for whether or not it'll play HD files with HD sound quality, I'm not sure, but I think it will. It's got a very good DAC, that I'm certain can decode 24bit/192khz audio files (sorry, didn't look too closely at specs).

Anyway, you should be able to play from a thumb drive or other external drive via USB, and you should be able to get HD-quality sound, but you may have to experiment a bit with data sources (drives) and file types. I have a cd player that has a USB input, and I love it. I rip into lossless formats (usually ALAC); it sounds great, and it's very convenient - I can leave those damn cds in their cases.

Here's the manual; start at p. 40.

http://download.oppodigital.com/BDP8...ish_Manual.pdf

Good luck!
    Marantz CD6004
    Adcom GFP-750
    McCormack DNA-1
    Polk LSi9s
    Signal Cable ICs
    Blue Jeans cables

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Here is a 2010 thread at audiogon I recalled about the 83SE.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...gtl&1264623712
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell KRC-HR Class A Pre w/ Reference Phono
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Harmonic Technology Pro 9+
    Squeezebox Touch / Welborne Labs PS / I2S Out Mod
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC
    Sennheiser HD650
    Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive
    AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm
    AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R
    Shunyata Hydra (Original)
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by bthogan View Post
    I took a look at the Oppo 83SE manual, and it looks like you can listen to audio files through the USB input. The manual doesn't specify which types of files it'll play, so you may have to experiment. It says it will only play from "USB Mass Storage Class Bulk-Only Transport", but that this includes "[m]ost USB thumbs drives, portable hard disk drives and card readers". Probably won't work from an ipod or other Apple device; it seems like manufacturers have to get a license from Apple to do this, and I don't see any "ipod-ready" notices. I could be wrong, though.

As for whether or not it'll play HD files with HD sound quality, I'm not sure, but I think it will. It's got a very good DAC, that I'm certain can decode 24bit/192khz audio files (sorry, didn't look too closely at specs).

Anyway, you should be able to play from a thumb drive or other external drive via USB, and you should be able to get HD-quality sound, but you may have to experiment a bit with data sources (drives) and file types. I have a cd player that has a USB input, and I love it. I rip into lossless formats (usually ALAC); it sounds great, and it's very convenient - I can leave those damn cds in their cases.

Here's the manual; start at p. 40.

http://download.oppodigital.com/BDP8...ish_Manual.pdf

Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by SCompRacer View Post
    Here is a 2010 thread at audiogon I recalled about the 83SE.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...gtl&1264623712
    Thanks for the help. Looks like I have the wagon ahead of the horses though. I'm having trouble downloading my first music file from HDTracks. Was on the phone for 2 hours with AOL and couldn't resolve. I might be switching internet providers soon. Again, thanks for the replies.

Thread Information