Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Joined the headphone world tonight

Never really thought I'd say this, but I'm in the family now. Went out to Fry's tonight and picked up some Sennheiser HD 598's for $150. I was able to test them at a Tiger Direct store and man were they comfortable! The sound definitely won me over as well, but comfort has always been first and foremost for me. If I don't want to wear them, what difference does it make how good they sound? On top of that, my Christmas present this year is going to be Dan's Audio GD unit.

The Oppo 105 is still tops on my list. Even though this headphone rig is taking about $400 from that purchase, I think in the long run its going to be a good investment. My main rig is not conducive of anything but listening to music, so at least this headphone rig will keep me glued to my desk while working on lesson plans or grading papers next semester.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Dskip, sometimes we have to spoil ourselves. Now to wait for a review.. :)

I love my MDR1R's...for a Sony product.
    Last edited by nbrowser; 12-20-2013 at 10:57 PM.
    Living Room Evolved
    Onkyo TX-NR717
    Parasound HCA-1200II > Polk Audio RTi A7 Black Front
    Polk Audio RTi A3 Black Rear
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Tannoy TS2.12 Sub
    Marantz CD6004
    Apple Mac Mini
    Apple TV 3rd Gen
    Sony PS3 160Gb/Microsoft XBox 360
    Insignia 55 inch 120Hz TV

Bedroom
    Harman Kardon HK 3490/HK 3375
    A:Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers Black
    B:Polk Monitor (Model) 5 with Peerless Tweets
    Polk PSW108
    PS3 320Gb
    Insignia 39 inch 60Hz TV

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Welcome to the club. It only gets worse from here. I'm listening to my Audeze LCD-3's as I write this. Sorry for your wallet!
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

Member Sales Rating: (17)

I own a couple pairs of headphones. A pair of Polk's and a pair of these: http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-audio/razer-kraken/

I use them in total around 3 times a year.
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!

My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/

It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

Quote Originally Posted by nspindel View Post
    Welcome to the club. It only gets worse from here. I'm listening to my Audeze LCD-3's as I write this. Sorry for your wallet!
    Yeah I understand. I don't suspect I'll be that guy though. I listen to headphones, but my heart is in 2CH. I had to talk to Dan for 20 minutes about whether or not I actually wanted to pull the trigger on the amp. I can tell these need break-in time and that amp can't hurt. They just don't sound as good right now as they did in the store. They currently have more of a closed-can sound to them than I'd like them to.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Quote Originally Posted by Lasareath View Post
    I own a couple pairs of headphones. A pair of Polk's and a pair of these: http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-audio/razer-kraken/

I use them in total around 3 times a year.
    I tried the Polks. Didn't like them.

Congrats man. I have a setup at work as well, and demoed a fair amount of cans. For the longest time, I could not understand what people meant by soundstage. For the longest time, I felt it was just two speakers on each ear, directly in to it.

One dreaded lonesome day at work, under pressure and too much BS going on. We were launching our newest software, not a revision but a complete overhaul from scratch. I was and am one of the the main developers behind that work. First thing I reached for were my in ears, selected my music and let it rip. I want no piece of that intensity or needless fear of bugs. No software is free from it. If it comes, actually it will come..

In ears on, I began to hear sound behind me, left side.. Moments later right side. behind me... Again and again. Then I realized. Holy eff. This is soundstage! It is not just wider, but everywhere. It is insane how two drivers into the ear could provoke your senses.

With that said. Many times, I found those cans to be comforting at first. But when you have them on for the bulk of the day, you will find, maybe it is not so great. If weight is a determination for quality audio equipment then the headphone world must be the opposite!

Enjoy your journey man,

Halen
    Music/Movies
    Usher CP 777 DMD
    Usher 616 DMD
    SMX ProCurve 2:35 130"
    Seymour CenterStage xD AT screen
    JVC RS4910 / DLA X500 (come to daddy)

Pre: missing

LSIM 705s (buy me)

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Good choice! I wear mine when I do similar work, or at night when you really have to be quiet. Like the sound of Sennheisers quite a bit. The planar phones mentioned, yet "another" price step up! May eventually budge, but no need to now. I've already been through the big three in that 3-400 range (AKG, SENN, BEYERDYNAMIC). Three pretty different sound signatures!

This fairly cheap Bravo tube phono amp is actually pretty decent for its ridiculously low price. And I haven't even gotten to messing with the tube that's in there yet? Another level!

Enjoy!

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Those 598 are about the best you can do anywhere near that price and are a good introduction to the Sennheiser house sound.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Enjoy the journey and glad you got Dan's amp. Not sure how you guys listen to tunes and do work though. I'm too one track minded to multi-task. I can play some music (maybe) in the background on speakers, but I'd never try to put headphones on and do any other task. My brain works different I suppose.

So I've been running these in pretty heavy since I got them. They are already starting to open up. These are the first headphones I've had where I don't feel like the soundstage is on the same plane as the headphones. While not providing great depth, the sound is similar to a near-field listening experience. Can't wait to get that amp and see how they sound with something behind them.

havn't joined the family yet

I have the Senn 598's and the Grado RS2. To me the Grado's sound a little better, maybe more cleaner? hard for me to describe the difference. Where the 598's sounds a little muddier and more towards the bass side. Though sometimes the Grado's sound a little on the bright side depending on what I'm listening to. So i switch between them a lot. they go hand in hand together and I would not get rid of either for that reason that!

Update on this - I added the Audio GD to them and the headphones sound great. The presentation is better and the sibilance that was plaguing most recordings is now gone.

Hey DSkip did you audition the Sennheiser Momentums? I did a couple of weeks ago and liked them. I will have to listen to these 598's also they are about 100 less than the Momentums. The reason I ask is I to am waiting for an oppo 105 how will your new cans sound on the 105 compared to the amp you just got for the headphones you just got? The CS rep at oppo told me the 105 should come out with a darbee edition around march fingers crossed.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I was reading up on the marantz 7004 network dac thats on sale and performance with headphones was always coming up and go me thinking about headphones for movies n music.

I did not test the Momentums as I wasn't really sold on headphones. I'm still not big on them - they're background music while I work. The Essence HDACC is a much better unit, but also costs quite a bit more. The HDACC is staying in the main rig and the AGD on the phones. I'd imagine the 105 to perform similarly to the HDACC.

What made me buy the 598's is the styling, comfort, and sound. Fry's had them for $150 and comfortable headphones in that arena that sound good are a bit limited from my demo's. I think the Momentum is on-ear, which would have eliminated it for me before hearing them anyways.

http://en-us.sennheiser.com/over-ear...omentum-stereo

These were the ones I listened to the only reason I'am considering headphones is because of the purchase of an Oppo 105 I figured owning a pair would be nice and thought using the headphone jack in the 105, but now see the 598's on Amazon for $187 and bet they would sound as nice as the Momentums plus the 150 saved would be more money towards the 105.

http://www.frys.com/product/7821729?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

erm... I see after posting this that shipping is unavailable. You might be able to contact Amazon (or some other dealer) and get a price match?

Thread Information