Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Fixing crack in rtia9 cabinet ?

I bought an rtia9 on ebay with so called minor cosmetic damage. Surprise!, the speaker has a six inch crack on the cherry side cabinet, top left side -horizontal and three inches from the top, so its highly visible. I can see the unstained wood so tranlation has occured due to impact. How do I fix it? Do I even bother to fix it? Will it eventually spread throughout the whole side cabinet if not dealt with immediately? Thanks

Member Sales Rating: (26)

Welcome to the forum, milkdudski. My best advice would be to return the speakers. From what you describe, that's not minor cosmetic damage. Sounds more like major structural damage and if that's the case, there's no telling what else may have been damaged internally.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

Thanks tretz3. I would return it but I got it so cheap. I want to fix it if possible instead of driving it back to seller over 125 miles away. I had a friend pick it up and shipping it would be too costly.

find a broken one with a good cabinet and part out the two into one usable one,
    HT/2channel:
    AVR: Yamaha RX-V 765
    Fronts: Polk RTiA3
    sub: Polk PSW110(will add 2x PSW 505)
    Center: CS13
    surrounds:Polk RTi4
    TV: samsung 40
    The real 2 Channel(work in progress):
    Pre:HK 3490
    Amp:Parasound 1200 MK II
    Sub:RBH 1010-SEP
    Speakers: Monitor 5 Jr. +
    most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)

Member Sales Rating: (26)

If that is the case, I would suggest posting a couple of pictures so that we can see what we are looking at here.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

If the crack is all the way thru the wood, drill a hole at each end of the crack(this will prevent the crack from spreading). Use a bit
    slightly larger than the crack itself. Then use a Dremel tool to grind into the crack about 3/4 of the way.
    Clean, then use quality wood filler and stain. Ive done this to a Monitor 70 2 years ago and it's still holding.

Thread Information