Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default You have $5k for a speaker, new or used

I know I started a thread a while back about everybody's dream speakers, but now I'm looking for ideas. I'm getting to the point of selling off a few items and making a big purchase in the speaker world. Give me some ideas to look at. This is, at the minimum, 3 months away.

Top of my list right now is the Joseph Audio Pulsar. While I haven't heard this speaker, I've heard a 'mimic' design and it absolutely blew me away... one of the best speakers I've ever heard at any price. I don't know how it would pair with my amps, but I'm willing to move them at this point for the right speaker.

I'm looking for bookshelves/monitors or small standers. This is going in a 12x14 room, so monoliths need not apply.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Dude you need to get your ears on some ZU's, the Druid is right around that price range. Wish I could have brought my Omens up there for you to check out, but i'll admit i'm totally biased as you know haha.
    Theater Room: Pioneer Elite SC-35, RTi12's, Csi5, Fxi5's, Fxi3's, ED A5-350 sub, Optoma HD20, 92'' Elite Screen, Sony BDPS790, Xbox One, APC H15, MIT Exp 2 SC's, Pepster PC's

Living Room: Martin Logan ESL's, Peachtree Audio iNova, Zu Mission SC's & IC's, Pepster PC, Sharp Aquos 60'', AEX

Bedroom: Panasonic AX200U projector, 110" screen

Outdoor: Polk Atrium 5's, Yamaha Rxv371

Member Sales Rating: (26)

Eh, please do not be offended B Run but ZU's are about the furthest thing from what I would consider good or even decent sound. Granted, I have only heard one speaker out of their lineup but wow, what a bad impression. This is just my opinion based upon my observations so please don't send a hit man after me.

While I haven't heard any Joseph Audio, I have heard nothing but good about them. One real contender I would consider is a used Tyler Acoustics monitor [not the Decade series] upgraded by VR3. Within the price range and after all is said and done, it may just be one of the best imaging speakers you have ever laid your ears upon. Food for thought.

*runs away expeditiously from B Run while has the chance*

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

"The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction". - Kenneth Swauger

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Last edited by marvda1; 03-01-2014 at 08:32 PM.
    Main system
    http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...pin&1162599347 Freelance reviewer for StereoMojo

Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables
    Office rig: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures

Quote Originally Posted by treitz3 View Post
    *runs away expeditiously from B Run while has the chance*

Tom
    Haha no offense taken man. They're definitely love or hate, they're very sensitive to gear upstream, synergy and placement it just makes me wonder if they were properly setup. My next speakers will definitely be Zu's again, I just wish I had 5k to get the Druids haha.
    Theater Room: Pioneer Elite SC-35, RTi12's, Csi5, Fxi5's, Fxi3's, ED A5-350 sub, Optoma HD20, 92'' Elite Screen, Sony BDPS790, Xbox One, APC H15, MIT Exp 2 SC's, Pepster PC's

Living Room: Martin Logan ESL's, Peachtree Audio iNova, Zu Mission SC's & IC's, Pepster PC, Sharp Aquos 60'', AEX

Bedroom: Panasonic AX200U projector, 110" screen

Outdoor: Polk Atrium 5's, Yamaha Rxv371

I would personally check out some von schweikert stuff, I've always liked his speakers but they are out of my price range. I love the sound from the little I have heard so far.

Quote Originally Posted by txcoastal1 View Post
    good find ron.
    Main system
    http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...pin&1162599347 Freelance reviewer for StereoMojo

I'd try to score some used Dynaudio Confidence 2's but that could be tough at $5k.

Harbeth P3 ESRs
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Focal Micro Utopia BE's.
    2-Channel:

Source 1: PC
    Source 2: Rega Apollo CDP
    USB > SPDIF Converter: Stello U3
    DAC: Audio GD NFB-7
    Preamp: Audio Research LS-15
    Power Amp: BAT VK-500
    Speakers: Magnepan 3.7's

HT:

Source 1: HTPC
    Source 2: Oppo 103
    Pre/Pro: Marantz av8003
    Power Amp: Rotel RMB-1095
    Fronts: LSiM-705's
    Center: LSiM-704c
    Surrounds: LSiM-702's
    Subs: Dual SVS PC12-NSD's

^^^ if they image better than the 807V's, then they could be a contender. Sweet sound and excellent top end on the 807's. ^^^

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

"The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction". - Kenneth Swauger

Member Sales Rating: (8)

Edit: Nevermind, I didn't see you were asking for smaller speakers. My bad, I should have read your post better.
    Last edited by Rick88; 03-01-2014 at 09:15 PM.
    "Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music." ~ Ronald Reagan

"I love songs about horses, railroads, land, Judgment Day, family, hard times, whiskey, courtship, marriage, adultery, separation, murder, war, prison, rambling, damnation, home, salvation, death, pride, humor, piety, rebellion, patriotism, larceny, determination, tragedy, rowdiness, heartbreak and love. And Mother. And God." ~ Johnny Cash

Focal has some nice options for sure. Can't remember the model a friend has but the beryllium tweeters are fantastic. Does Totem have any bookies in that range? Can't remember off the top of my head.

Well that wasn't a terribly helpful post. My bad.
    Display: LG 47" LCD | AVR: Marantz SR5005 | BD: Panasonic BDT-210 | CD/SACD: Oppo 980 |
    Amps: Rotel RB-990bx | Marantz MA-500 | Speakers: Totem Mite : Totem Mite-C : RC60i | Sub: HSU VTF-2 MKIV

HK AVR635 | Polk R30 | Sony DVD/SACD Player

Rick, you could have left that in there, no worries. You're always good for a pic of two.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Here's a pic of two....your pick.

Tom

^^^^^The car is over $5g's and she "wood" coast 5X the price of the car

Used Dynaudio c1. Not sure if it would work with your current amp though.

Main system

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    Honestly I enjoyed those speakers, they had nice top end with excellent bass

Quote Originally Posted by txcoastal1 View Post
    Honestly I enjoyed those speakers, they had nice top end with excellent bass
    They might have been my favorite at the show that year (last year?). I definitely popped my head in there more than a few times to get my ears on them. Still not as great as option 1, but these might be enough to keep me well under budget as well as fat and happy.

Main system

I think he over rated the shipping a bit 200# for a 60#'s of speakers, must me heavy duty crates

Member Sales Rating: (8)

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    Rick, you could have left that in there, no worries. You're always good for a pic of two.
    I felt dumb after posting the pic. I didn't read through your entire post beforehand like I should have, I thought you were asking people what their dream speakers were if they had $5000 to spend. But since you don't mind, here's mine again. I could find one hell of a nice pair for 5g's...

Name:  fa9df69bdb3bce289fdb4edfa76b66ee.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  131.7 KB
    "Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music." ~ Ronald Reagan

"I love songs about horses, railroads, land, Judgment Day, family, hard times, whiskey, courtship, marriage, adultery, separation, murder, war, prison, rambling, damnation, home, salvation, death, pride, humor, piety, rebellion, patriotism, larceny, determination, tragedy, rowdiness, heartbreak and love. And Mother. And God." ~ Johnny Cash

Looks like the Joseph Audio speaker uses a seas millenium tweeter and a seas excel woofer. The excel woofer is a pretty darn good woofer, but I feel it's outdone by the newer Scanspeak revelator. One of the best monitors out there now: http://selahaudio.com/id237.html
    2Ch Tube Audio Convert

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I have an as new pair of Polk 703's.
    Less than 30 hours use.
    You can have them for 4k.That leaves you plenty for a pair of nice stands.
    I'll cover PP and shipping too!

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Joseph Audio flys under the radar for most folks, but don't dismiss them. Excellent sound and quality that competes with anyone. Also look at Revels, also excellent bookies imho.

BTW, those Selah's look damn sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by aboroth00 View Post
    Looks like the Joseph Audio speaker uses a seas millenium tweeter and a seas excel woofer. The excel woofer is a pretty darn good woofer, but I feel it's outdone by the newer Scanspeak revelator. One of the best monitors out there now: http://selahaudio.com/id237.html
    I have to say the SEAS Excel and Nextel drivers are some of the most detailed I've heard....and the Scan Rev and Illum are outstanding! I would love to have a nice set using either drivers. Once I jump into the two channel fold...I want a very detailed speaker with a warm amp. Would love to hear and maybe build/buy a set of Linkwitz Orions one day.

Anyway Derek, given that you already have tubes and details speakers...I don't think it's a coincidence that your top choice uses SEAS drivers...seems like the right direction for your taste. Those Joseph Audio Pulsar are using over $1K in drivers alone.

I hope to listen to the Saulk's in the Spring myself. The Seas driver, RAAL tweeter, mated with a good crossover in theory and through feedback, sounds like pure sex to me....will have to experience them for myself!

Anyway, put the Veracity Series HT1 or maybe the SoundScape M7 on your list to listen to if you have not heard them already.
    Last edited by WLDock; 03-02-2014 at 08:34 AM.
    FAMILY ROOM
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-73734 73" DLP 1080P | AVR - Pioneer Elite SC-65 | Source - Sony PS3 Slim 320GB | Front - PolkAudio RT3000p | Center -PolkAudio CS400i | Surround - PolkAudio F/X1000 | Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Behringer EUROPOWER EP2500

2 Ch Dreaming...hoping to purchase, build someday
    OPPO 105 | Squeezbox Touch | Odyssey, or HALO A21 amp | DIY Statements towers

The Cirrus monitors may be some of the most beautiful speakers I have ever seen. Just... wow.
    Polk RTA 11T ....new Xovers( Gen1 + Mundorf MOX), rewired, damped, Armacell, rings, spikes, RDO-194....
    B&K Ref. 200.2
    NAD 116
    Peachtree DAC-IT
    Morrow, Huffman cables
    AMD 8350 @ 4.8 Ghz.

Thread Information