Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Music only receiver suggestions

currently Yamaha RX V850 driving Monitor 70s. Music only / room is not that large, stereo only, not likely to surround sound. No sub now & none wanted. Current receiver is 80 watts per. Any advantage to more power? If so, suggestions? I see a lot of nice HT stuff but thats going to have bells & whistles I don't need to pay for. Don't know if its worth looking into upgrading & if so, some ideas on where to start. I'm not afraid of older equipment if it suits the need. Listen mostly to classical, jazz & voice via LPs, CDs & FM radio (I have the most awesome antenna). TIA.

Member Sales Rating: (22)

Directly over the center of the earth in Olathe Kansas

I have a simple inexpensive setup in my office that blows me away eveytime I listen. SOme of that is due to crossover upgrades and other tweaks to the LS90.

Pioneer SX-950 ($200) (soon o be replaced by Anthem AMP 1 and Wright WLA-12 preamp)
    POlk AUdio LS90 ($150) Tweaked ($100)
    Pioneer Elite DVD/CD/SACD ($200)
    Apple Airport Extreme ($77) stream music from music server.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs

Ofc: Wright WLA12 preamp: Anthem Amp 1: Pio Elite DV-79AVI: Airport Express: CAL Sigma II DAC: PA LS90 sonicaps and mills

Member Sales Rating: (22)

Directly over the center of the earth in Olathe Kansas

I missed your question, SOunds like you already have a receiver and speakers (Yamaha RX V850 driving Monitor 70s) and want to know if you would benifit from more power.

Before I amswer, how do they sound ? ARe you moved when listening. If you are then power dont matter.

But to answer your question, more over head is always better.

I am going down in power from the Pioneer to anthem AMP 1 but I bet there will be a sound improvement.

Let your ears be the judge.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs

Ofc: Wright WLA12 preamp: Anthem Amp 1: Pio Elite DV-79AVI: Airport Express: CAL Sigma II DAC: PA LS90 sonicaps and mills

Member Sales Rating: (8)

At a comfortable distance.... gaining perspective

Vintage Kyocera R-851. (if you can find one)

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Budget?

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/rr2150.html

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...-Fi+Audio/A-20

Those would be on my short list, if I was buying new for two-channel.

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Adcom 555 if you have the capability. The HK 3490 is very nicely matched to the 70's.
    Main
    Parasound P5
    Parasound A21
    CA music streamer
    Yaquin tube buffer (PearsAll)
    marantz 6005
    Morrow Sp3
    Morrow Xlr
    Lsi15 w/Fortress mod.

Bedroom
    adcom Gfp750
    Adcom 555
    Rotel 1072
    CA tuner
    LsiM703
    Clear day dbl shotgun

Member Sales Rating: (20)

I would recommend one of the HK stereo receivers, I can't imagine anything better in their respective price ranges.

Use the tuner in the current receiver and buy an integrated amp. This is one of the best for the money today.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CA851A

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    Use the tuner in the current receiver and buy an integrated amp. This is one of the best for the money today.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CA851A
    Good advice; I cannot vouch for the linked product, but the strategy is good, and there are myriad good choices, new and not-so-new.

If you've gotta have a 2-channel receiver, though...

all the best,
    mrh

Since you have something that works, I'd be patient and set up some RSS feeds for your local craigslist to start watching for brands/models you might want. I needed more power for a two-channel setup and, after months of looking, finally found a NAD 7400 that had recently been completely refurbed. Sounds amazing, and the price was far less than anything comparable would be today.

The great part about craigslist is that locals who are audio-junkies are often happy to have you bring your own gear to test with. When getting the NAD, I took my speakers and set them up in his listening room to see how they worked together. Made for a solid test. Also a great way to get to know some of the audio locals.

If you're patient, you can get a great deal on really cool equipment.
    5.1 theater - Pioneer SC-07, Mirage OMD-CC center, 4 x Mirage Omnisats, Boston Acoustics VPS-210 sub
    2.1 living room - NAD 7400 integrated, 2 x Platinum Audio Duos, MIT Terminator4 cables
    2.1 bedroom- Arcam Solo, 2 x Mirage OMD-5's
    FOR SALE - Genesis Servo-10 sub, Genesis Servo-12 amp; Martin Logan Dynamo sub; Mirage MM-6 sub; Harman Kardon DPR-1001 7.1 receiver

Default Integrated

Many good choices in the Integrated category these days. On a budget I'd recommend NAD or Rotel. I've had both a Rotel Receiver and an NAD integrated and enjoyed the extra dynamic headroom each displayed. I'm a fan of dedicated controls on the receiver itself, (as opposed to using a remote for frequently used functions) and they both follow that design intent.

For loads of watt power, a vintage Carver receiver can be had fairly cheaply.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carver-MXR-2...item20cec9494b

I agree with mhardy. I love my Yamaha CR 2020 receiver and would never part with it. If you are looking for an excellent vintage receiver, it is one of the best, if not THE best.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

... I am unaware of any all-around better sounding/performing vintage receivers.
    ...although there are flashier and pricier ones.

Last edited by mhardy6647; 01-29-2013 at 09:03 PM.
    all the best,
    mrh

Thanks for the suggestions & ideas. I'm on a budget (bought the Monitor 70s for $350). With the new speakers I hear "fuzz" I hadn't heard before. Not always but sometimes & source does not seem to be a factor. Also, I hear all the instruments of the orchestra but they don't jump out at me. I don't know the correct terminology; presence maybe? I know the surround sound amps (& mine can not bypass it) have wizardry that may be affecting the sound in 2 channel. So that's what got me to thinking maybe I should look at a replacement. There's a Carver M1.0t amp on CL for $350 but I need to think this thru before I start writing checks. As one poster pointed out, I have music now - patience can be my friend. Thanks again to all. Great ideas to get me thinking....

I'd love to match an R-851 against the Yamaha for a SQ "shoot out" ! My $$$ would be on the Kyocera.

http://stereonomono.blogspot.com/201...era-r-851.html

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob in WI View Post
    With the new speakers I hear "fuzz" I hadn't heard before. .
    Bob, "fuzz" as you put it, is not a sound quality characteristic of not enough power. Check your connections, wire. Also make sure you set up the inputs in the receiver. If your using any of those jazzy sound fields....don't. Pure direct mode for 2 channel is your best bet, given you have a decent source. Speaking of....what is your source and cables ?

You know, a lot of guys scoff at the idea of using or perhaps misusing an AVR for a dedicated 2 channel but there are many very wonderful pieces to be had for peanuts out there. Guys just shove the older units out the door to get the latest 11.2 channel or 3d or audassy or whatever and a 5k unit is available for a few hundred. I have been watching on e-bay a few of the Yamaha past flagship units and 3-5 hundred will get you a rxv 1 rxv2700 ( I have one) or even one of the z series. I love the sound of Yamaha.
    Main Family Room: Sony 46 LCD, Sony Blue Ray, Sony DVD/VCR combo,Onkyo TXNR 708, Parasound 5250,
    Polk SDS-SRS with mods, CSI 5 center + Klipsch SC2, Polk RT2000P rears, Klipsch KG 1.5's sides, Polk Micro Pro 1000, Polk Micro Pro 2000, Polk SW505, Belkin PF60, Signal Cable Classics,Monster IC's, 2 15 amp circuits & 1 20 amp circuit.

Living Room: Belkin PF60, Parasound HCA2200, MIT ProlineEXP balanced IC's,Emotiva XDA-1 DAC/Pre,Emotiva ERC2 transport,MIT AVT2, Polk LSI 9's.

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Get your hands on a used Peachtree Decco. All in one unit with a DAC, pre and amp. Only 40WPC but those watts are solid. Will power speakers with ease and the tube rolling will allow you tame any harshness in the RTi's

Quote Originally Posted by michael1947 View Post
    You know, a lot of guys scoff at the idea of using or perhaps misusing an AVR for a dedicated 2 channel but there are many very wonderful pieces to be had for peanuts out there. Guys just shove the older units out the door to get the latest 11.2 channel or 3d or audassy or whatever and a 5k unit is available for a few hundred. I have been watching on e-bay a few of the Yamaha past flagship units and 3-5 hundred will get you a rxv 1 rxv2700 ( I have one) or even one of the z series. I love the sound of Yamaha.
    There is truth to this. Find a used Sony DA-7100ES, five channel AVR at 175W/ch. The last decent AVR Sony built before the MBAs took over. I am finally retiring mine (used as a pre/pro the last 5 years), but I suspect it is still better that what 99.9% of people are using. Find a sister NS9100ES SACD player, connect it via a FireWire ILink cable, and you have a killer system. I bet you can find both for a $1000. No you cannot buy mine. They are now spares for emergencies.

I sure wouldn't have a problem with a receiver for 2 channel, but it would have to be a damn good one. Which btw, are out there and on the used market, a steal. I still miss my B&k 307 receiver, sold it for 3 bones too. Gave a nice couple just setting up shop together a great deal.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

A Denon AVR 5800 can be picked up for around $400. I continue to be amazed at the SQ. Powers my SRS's beautifully. I NEVER thought a receiver could drive them anywhere close to their potential, but I gotta admit, Denon made this one right.
    SDA SRS
    Denon POA 2400
    Rotel RSP 1068

Look at a Onkyo TX-8050 or tx-8255 . Great stereo receivers.

If buying new, I'd go straight for the Outlaw RR2150 and be done with it. Used? Endless possibilities. And if you decide to get into separates instead of getting a receiver... Even more endless.

RT-12, CS350-LS, PSW-300, Infinity Overture 1, Monoprice RC-65i
    Adcom GFA-545II, GFA-6000, Outlaw Audio 990, Netgear NeoTV
    Denon DCM-460, DMD-1000, Sony BDP-360, Bravia KDL-40Z4100/S
    Monster AVL-300, HTS-2500 MKII

Outlaw RR2150 - I never heard of Outlaw & never heard an Outlaw. What a cool looking receiver tho. Kind of art deco...

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Quote Originally Posted by Bob in WI View Post
    Outlaw RR2150 - I never heard of Outlaw & never heard an Outlaw. What a cool looking receiver tho. Kind of art deco...
    That's a great choice if you want to go with a "new" stereo receiver in the less than $1K range. Good sound, good power!

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

outlaw reciever was favorably reviewed by either stereophile or TAS ( cant remember which ). HK has a new line of 2ch also. but I would recommend finding a vintage marantz 2270 or similar or a pioneer 1050, 1080, or yamaha like shown above and have the electrolytics replaced and refurbish the unit. the design philosophy of the vintage units was very very good.

Bob, I just had an eye-opening experience with regards to my Harman Kardon HK3490. I've had it for over a year and it continues to impress. I recently got a steal on a pair of Rotel RB981 external amps that are regarded pretty well and they can't compete with the HK3490.

So I suggest you check out the HK3490. The sound is warm and rich and I look forward to listening to my SDAs powered by it every day.
    TV: 70" LED Sharp Aquos Quattron 3D
    Fronts: Martin Logan Electromotions --- Center: Martin Logan Motion 8
    Front Heights: Polk RC65i --- Rears: Polk RC85i --- Sub: Power Sound Audio XS15
    Onkyo TX-NR818 --- Emotiva XPA-3 --- Oppo BDP-103 -- 2 Channel: Mapletree Line 2A tube preamp modified

Thread Information