Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Room Treatments "done"

This is a continuation of this thread. I figured since its done and not really a help post, I should start a new one.

First up is a picture of how I hung them on the wall. I spent a lot of time thinking about the best way to do this and this is what I came up with:

Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000382.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	340.8 KB
ID:	80810Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000383.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	300.0 KB
ID:	80813

I bought some 1"x1" square dowel rods and cut them down into 6" sections. I then glued two to each board, 6" away from the top and bottom edge. I then cut down a 1-1/8"x1-1/8" plastic corner pieces (not sure exactly what they're called, its outdoor trim found at Lowe's) into 9" sections, drilled two holes in each, and screwed those into the wall at the same heights around the room. After putting one up on the wall, I realized I really only need 1 brace on the wall to hold them well. This allows me to easily take down the treatments if the need arises. It also got them 1" off the wall like everyone recommends.

On the other side of the room, I have a shelf that houses all my media. I really don't want to get rid of it, so I tried to find a way to incorporate it in where I could still use the panels. I essentially used the same idea and rested the glued-on dowel rod on the top shelf. The beauty of this is that, although it looks weird in place, I can easily move them up on top of the shelf when they aren't in use (for the WAF).

Name:	WP_000388.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	303.4 KB
ID:	80814Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000389.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	315.8 KB
ID:	80815

Here's the rest of the room:

Name:	WP_000385.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	282.6 KB
ID:	80816Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000386.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	271.9 KB
ID:	80817

Its "done". There's still a few things I need to do to them, but the jist of it is done.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Member Sales Rating: (49)

Absolutely beautiful!!! Great job!!!
    Hot Rodded SDA 1.2TL's, SDA 1C's, SDA CRS+'s...
    Powered By Wyred 4 Sound, STP-SE, SX-1000...
    MIT-Shotgun's ...

Skip, good job on the mounting. I have seen something similar to that before. You take a 2/4 and cut it into two triangles and then you have one mounted in the wall with the point up toward the ceiling and then the actual treatment has the other section so you can use it like a hanger.

I did a horrible job of describing it and I cant seem to find a picture of it online lol.... I will look harder to post as it might be easier for you to do in the future if you do more....

Added a horrible picture in an attempt to diagram it lol....
    Last edited by EndersShadow; 02-02-2013 at 01:29 PM.
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Main HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse DVR | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office Rig: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Pro-ject Debut III | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse DVR | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Yeah I actually got the picture from your original description . That's essentially what I did, just probably not as secure as that would be. My tool collection is limited and I don't know that I could've done that with what I have, at least not successfully. This route provided me with a mounting option with minimal cutting (and no "advanced" cuts, i.e. diagonals) and minimal cost. I do like that idea better though from a long-term standpoint.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Looks great! How much did it improve the sound?
    Theater Room: Pioneer Elite SC-35, RTi12's, Csi5, Fxi5's, Fxi3's, ED A5-350 sub, Optoma HD20, 92'' Elite Screen, Sony BDPS790, Xbox One, APC H15, MIT Exp 2 SC's, Pepster PC's

Living Room: Martin Logan ESL's, Peachtree Audio iNova, Zu Mission SC's & IC's, Pepster PC, Sharp Aquos 60'', AEX

Bedroom: Panasonic AX200U projector, 110" screen

Outdoor: Polk Atrium 5's, Yamaha Rxv371

Member Sales Rating: (37)

Well done Skip! They look really good.

Satisfied with the audio improvement?

Mine are still sitting naked in my HT (and garage). No fabric has been purchased and there are still a few crooked cuts that need to be made.

Member Sales Rating: (41)

Great job! Got any pics of your front soundstage?

Will provide pics of front stage when I rearrange a few items. There were noticeable differences in sound. I'll elaborate more when I get to an actual keyboard.

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Rumours on the floor!

Nice work! Good job!
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell KSL Class A Pre w/ KSL Phono
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Harmonic Technology Pro 9+
    Squeezebox Touch / Welborne Labs PS / I2S Out Mod
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC
    Sennheiser HD650
    Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive
    AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm
    Dynavector 17D3
    Shunyata Hydra (Original)
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

Member Sales Rating: (6)

phantom center? or are you using an Usher center? i would image imagine that and Usher center (dedicated OR phantom) would be awesome...
    2-Channel:

Source 1: PC
    Source 2: Rega Apollo CDP
    USB > SPDIF Converter: Stello U3
    DAC: Audio GD NFB-7
    Preamp: Audio Research LS-15
    Power Amp: BAT VK-500
    Speakers: Magnepan 3.7's

HT:

Source 1: HTPC
    Source 2: Oppo 103
    Pre/Pro: Marantz av8003
    Power Amp: Rotel RMB-1095
    Fronts: LSiM-705's
    Center: LSiM-704c
    Surrounds: LSiM-702's
    Subs: Dual SVS PC12-NSD's

Quote Originally Posted by B Run View Post
    Looks great! How much did it improve the sound?
    As far as improvements, I'm still getting used to the sound. Imaging went through the roof. For instance, one of my test tracks is Tool's 10,000 days (Wings Part 2) due to the storm. For the first time listening to this, the thunder wasn't behind and to the left of me, it was right above me. Its like there's about a 5 foot wide thunderstorm directly above you. There were other queues in other songs that caught my attention, but none did it quite as much as that one.

It *seems* as though the speakers were a tad more transparent before, but it could just be an illusion based on the next tidbit. High frequencies got tamed down. Way down. They used to have their moments where they could be bordering on harsh. Not anymore. In a way, I miss it, but I think I need to spend more time with it before I really begin to pass judgment. My ears became so accustomed to the sound over the last 9 months that any tonal change would be initially upsetting. It also seems as if the weak spots in the chain are a little more noticeable, but that could also be attributed to recently hearing Marvin's system. After a DAC comes in, I'm really itching to improve upon the Jolida, either by tube rolling or outright replacement.

Overall, everything just seems cleaner though. More detailed, more refined, more balanced. I'm hoping tomorrow I can wrap up the window panels and get the room completely done. It'll be interesting to see what that will do to the sound.

Quote Originally Posted by falconcry72 View Post
    phantom center? or are you using an Usher center? i would image imagine that and Usher center (dedicated OR phantom) would be awesome...
    Pure 2 channel HT setup. This system has left me wanting nothing as far as movies go. The projector takes center stage and the Usher's really do a good job drawing you into a movie. I've run multi channel HT's before, (including essentially a RT5000p setup), and I miss nothing about them. Later down the road, I might add the matching Usher center (or build one since the components are readily available on PE), but I'm much more interested in 2 channel music right now. For me, the 6311 is a "perfect" speaker to base a dual purpose setup around. The bass can actually be overpowering in my room, even after the treatments.

Quote Originally Posted by SCompRacer View Post
    Rumours on the floor!

Nice work! Good job!
    I was wondering who the first one to point that out would be.

Well I lucked out, i'd been looking into room treatments because of this thread and how nice they turned out. I rearranged the decor in my HT today and had two empty spots behind my towers and to the sides, and my wife asked if I could just buy or make some acoustic panels or something? I didn't even know she knew what they were, so I agreed and told her if that's what she wants, I guess I can do that
    Theater Room: Pioneer Elite SC-35, RTi12's, Csi5, Fxi5's, Fxi3's, ED A5-350 sub, Optoma HD20, 92'' Elite Screen, Sony BDPS790, Xbox One, APC H15, MIT Exp 2 SC's, Pepster PC's

Living Room: Martin Logan ESL's, Peachtree Audio iNova, Zu Mission SC's & IC's, Pepster PC, Sharp Aquos 60'', AEX

Member Sales Rating: (47)

Nice work,, good eye Rich!!
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post

I was wondering who the first one to point that out would be.
    Quote Originally Posted by george daniel View Post
    Nice work,, good eye Rich!!
    Thanks George! In that same pic, I also noticed that DSkip had been sitting on the sofa prior to taking the pic. Notice the imprint left by a thick wallet? That is what DIY does; along with the satisfaction, it keeps mo' money in your pocket.

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Sennheiser HD650
    Dynavector 17D3
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

Well I lucked out, i'd been looking into room treatments because of this thread and how nice they turned out. I rearranged the decor in my HT today and had two empty spots behind my towers and to the sides, and my wife asked if I could just buy or make some acoustic panels or something? I didn't even know she knew what they were, so I agreed and told her if that's what she wants, I guess I can do that
    Nice! I'll readily admit this is a PITA to do. Nothing about it is hard, its just time consuming. If you end up going this route over prefab, I'd recommend Hancock Fabrics if you've got one in the area. They have a nice selection of silks that have a lot of texture to them. The one I used is stunning and I can't get the pictures to do them justice. They had several more that I really liked, they just didn't work with the feel of the room. Also, wear gloves, long sleeve shirts, goggles..... Fiberglass is no fun.

The panels I used had a thick paper sheet glued to each side of the fiberglass. I pulled the sheet off the side that faces the room for each panel, hopefully enhancing their effectiveness.

I'm finishing up the window panels today. Hopefully I'll be done before lunch.

Well I lucked out, i'd been looking into room treatments because of this thread .....
    I forgot I had a pic from when I recovered some GIK Bass traps. A sample of one way to build them....

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/p...Trap/244_3.jpg

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Sennheiser HD650
    Dynavector 17D3
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

Those look very nice. I like your choice of fabric, treatments may be the one tweak I tackle this year, I'm not planning on too much though.

My sweetie would love to do something like this and she would totally be on board to make it happen too as she has been pulled into the rabbit hole with me.

With saying that. Love that work Skipper. Also love to hear positive results.

How do you know where to place them and in all honesty, whats really inside these panels? Just fiberglass filling?

Quote Originally Posted by Drenis View Post
    My sweetie would love to do something like this and she would totally be on board to make it happen too as she has been pulled into the rabbit hole with me.

With saying that. Love that work Skipper. Also love to hear positive results.

How do you know where to place them and in all honesty, whats really inside these panels? Just fiberglass filling?
    Andre:

Its the standard to use Owens Corning 705 insulation for the panels. How think the panel is depends on if you want to trap bass or not.

GIK's bass traps use 4" of insulation, their regular traps use 2" of insulation I think.

Normally you want to treat your first reflection points, a panel between your fronts and directly behind them and then your ceiling if possible. You can also treat your second and third reflection points if you have them in the room.

You also want to normally put bass traps in your corners as well.
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Main HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse DVR | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office Rig: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Pro-ject Debut III | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse DVR | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Read through the articles that SComp provided in the original thread. That's where I got all my info.

I would also like to add a bit of info on the corner pieces. Those were going to be 1'x8'. I cut them in half before putting the fabric on since I'd eventually like actual diffusors/bass traps for the corners. Cutting them in half gave me the opportunity to reuse the panels later on if/when I do get those.

Thanks for all the compliments guys. My wife and I both are just ready for this thing to be completely DONE.

Nice! I'll readily admit this is a PITA to do. Nothing about it is hard, its just time consuming. If you end up going this route over prefab, I'd recommend Hancock Fabrics if you've got one in the area. They have a nice selection of silks that have a lot of texture to them. The one I used is stunning and I can't get the pictures to do them justice. They had several more that I really liked, they just didn't work with the feel of the room. Also, wear gloves, long sleeve shirts, goggles..... Fiberglass is no fun.

The panels I used had a thick paper sheet glued to each side of the fiberglass. I pulled the sheet off the side that faces the room for each panel, hopefully enhancing their effectiveness.

I'm finishing up the window panels today. Hopefully I'll be done before lunch.
    Thanks for the heads up, i'm just starting to look into this and think i'lll either end up buying two for behind my speakers or if I do it myself i'll probably make 6 and do the whole room.

SCompRacer thanks for the pic, i like that design and it seems doable.

Lookin good. Your more than welcome to come help me do mine
    Main
    Parasound P5
    Parasound A21
    Cambridge Audio tuner
    Yaquin tube buffer (PearsAll)
    Rotel RCD1072
    Morrow Sp3
    Morrow Xlr
    Lsi15 w/Fortress mod.

Bedroom
    HK3490
    Adcom 555
    Marantz 5003
    Monitor 70 II
    Signal cables

Quote Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
    Andre:

Its the standard to use Owens Corning 705 insulation for the panels. How think the panel is depends on if you want to trap bass or not.

GIK's bass traps use 4" of insulation, their regular traps use 2" of insulation I think.

Normally you want to treat your first reflection points, a panel between your fronts and directly behind them and then your ceiling if possible. You can also treat your second and third reflection points if you have them in the room.

You also want to normally put bass traps in your corners as well.

Read through the articles that SComp provided in the original thread. That's where I got all my info.

I really do need to get my read on regarding this. I will check out those links.

Thanks for the info thus far. I appreciate it. I know that it's something that I eventually have to learn and implement.

I wasn't going to share these until I got better pics, but since I shared in another thread, I'll give in. Here is the front stage now. One is a repeat, but gives a sense of left-to-right. I had to get creative with scrap material to block out all the light with the window panels, but its pitch black in there at any time of the day now.

Name:	WP_000386.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	271.9 KB
ID:	81012Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000392.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	290.7 KB
ID:	81013Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000398.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	269.4 KB
ID:	81014

Dude...really, get a better camera
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables
    Office rig: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures

Quote Originally Posted by txcoastal1 View Post
    Dude...really, get a better camera
    Got one. This was my phone. There will be better pics coming, I just haven't dug the SLR out yet.

I wonder if different rules exist for treating a room with SDAs.
    "My wife likes my rig......HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!"

B&W CDM 1NT; B&W CDM CNT; Infinity us 1; Velodyne DEQ-8 x2; Pio Elite VSX-23; Sony SCD-CE595 SACD, Denon DP11-F TT[/COLOR]

Well done my friend, looks very nice. Have you had more time to test out the before and after for music and movies?

Halen

I'm about to start a project like this. There is some good info in this thread.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I was thinking of doing my whole back wall with square panels. I bet it sounds like you have anew system in place as tweaks such as these make the biggest diff. Good job and thanks for taking the time to post the pictures

Thread Information