Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 31 to 53 of 53
  1. #31

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whitecamaross View Post
    crossover was set at 40hz by Audessey for all speakers and they are set to small too. Are saying that setting all my speakers to 80hz which i believe it is the thx setting, that it will make my lsi9s not be driven so hard by bottom lows?
    Yes, set to 80 Hz. While they can do lower than 80 Hz fine, your subwoofer can probably do it better. This will reduce the strain on your LSi9s. To do much below 80 Hz is a lot to ask of 5.25" drivers.

  2. #32
    Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nwohlford View Post
    Yes, set to 80 Hz. While they can do lower than 80 Hz fine, your subwoofer can probably do it better. This will reduce the strain on your LSi9s. To do much below 80 Hz is a lot to ask of 5.25" drivers.
    sounds good. What about when i place the lsi15s as my fronts ? do i leave the crossover at 80hz?

  3. #33

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    692

    Default

    Given that the LSi15s apply a 150 Hz high pass on the 5.25" and your amp should be up to the challenge of driving the woofer in the LSi15s, setting the crossover will be more of a personal preference. It will depend a lot on speaker and sub placement.

  4. #34

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    WDSM, IA
    Posts
    2,010

    Default

    I was a bit harsh and I apologize for that.

    One thing you have to realize is that you will NEVER get the kind of sound levels out of a bookshelf speaker that you will out of the monster speakers they use in movie theaters.

    This is obvious and I know you know this.
    That crossover point is too low for LSi9s in a home theater environment.
    For music, that's fine because music dynamics are much smoother and forgiving than home theater dynamics.
    The key is that even with the crossover set to 40, that's just the point at which the crossover is going to start rolling off the signal to those speakers. They will still be playing below that at an attenuated level so with massive spikes in volume, even with the db level decreasing the farther out from the crossover point, you still risk hitting spikes that can and will cause damage.

    NEVER trust your auto calibration.
    Use it as a baseline and work from there.
    Granted, it is mostly going to be what sounds good to you but there is a reason subs are designed to handle frequencies from 20hz to 120/140hz.
    "Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    I may have an addiction... RTA-15TL, SDA 2, LSi25, LSi15, LSi9, LSi7, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LS/FX, RT/FX, DSW MP2000...and that's just the Polks...

  5. #35

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Great White North
    Posts
    1,163

    Default

    Could this be the same problem again??
    I wonder, could it be a design flaw in the Polk's??
    Sharp loud spikes in volume very hurtful..

    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...en-t-destroyed
    VTL Compact 100 mono blocks, Casta Acoustics Model A's, VTL 5.5 Preamp,Audio Note L3 Phono Stage with audio Note AN-S2 Step Up,HiDiamond H5 Speaker Cables,McCormack DNA 500 ,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT/Technics SL-1200Mk2,Ortofon Cadenza Red/

  6. #36
    Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jhayman View Post
    Could this be the same problem again??
    I wonder, could it be a design flaw in the Polk's??
    Sharp loud spikes in volume very hurtful..

    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...en-t-destroyed
    i actually read that thread and i also wondered if they do have a flaw of some sort..

  7. #37
    Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
    I was a bit harsh and I apologize for that.

    One thing you have to realize is that you will NEVER get the kind of sound levels out of a bookshelf speaker that you will out of the monster speakers they use in movie theaters.

    This is obvious and I know you know this.
    That crossover point is too low for LSi9s in a home theater environment.
    For music, that's fine because music dynamics are much smoother and forgiving than home theater dynamics.
    The key is that even with the crossover set to 40, that's just the point at which the crossover is going to start rolling off the signal to those speakers. They will still be playing below that at an attenuated level so with massive spikes in volume, even with the db level decreasing the farther out from the crossover point, you still risk hitting spikes that can and will cause damage.

    NEVER trust your auto calibration.
    Use it as a baseline and work from there.
    Granted, it is mostly going to be what sounds good to you but there is a reason subs are designed to handle frequencies from 20hz to 120/140hz.
    are you saying i should just use a decibel meter to calibrate my speakers? i have played with the whole 40hz and 80hz frequencies on my fronts and quite frankly i can't tell a difference in bass output.. my lsi9s are about 13-14 inches away from the back wall..

  8. #38

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    WDSM, IA
    Posts
    2,010

    Default

    @ jhyman: Did you even read the thread? The OP has already admitted todriving the speakers beyond reference volume.

    And the OP cooked 2 drivers while running a too low crossover point for home theater dynamics.

    The post you are linking doesn't make any reference to going above reference levels and had damage to the crossovers not the drivers themselves.

    If you loathe this place so much wtf do you keep coming back? Nobody wants to hear what you have to say here anyway.
    Last edited by ZLTFUL; 02-04-2013 at 02:21 PM.
    "Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    I may have an addiction... RTA-15TL, SDA 2, LSi25, LSi15, LSi9, LSi7, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LS/FX, RT/FX, DSW MP2000...and that's just the Polks...

  9. #39

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    WDSM, IA
    Posts
    2,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whitecamaross View Post
    are you saying i should just use a decibel meter to calibrate my speakers? i have played with the whole 40hz and 80hz frequencies on my fronts and quite frankly i can't tell a difference in bass output.. my lsi9s are about 13-14 inches away from the back wall..
    Run auto calibration. Once that is complete, check your settings. For home theater usage, your fronts should be set to 80hz
    Once that is done, manually run the test tone and check the output from the speakers with an SPL meter. They should all be equal.

    Like I stated previously, auto calibrations are notoriously inaccurate.
    If your listening position is centered in front of your TV and your speakers are equi-distant from the centerline, they should be pretty close to the same db level and distance.
    Same goes for pretty much the rest of the system.
    One of the things I would also check is how far your subwoofer is reported from your listening position. I am willing to bet that it isn't even close to the actual distance.
    Last edited by ZLTFUL; 02-04-2013 at 02:23 PM.
    "Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    I may have an addiction... RTA-15TL, SDA 2, LSi25, LSi15, LSi9, LSi7, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LS/FX, RT/FX, DSW MP2000...and that's just the Polks...

  10. #40

    Member Sales Rating: (24)

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    all I see is cows and cheese...
    Posts
    4,206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
    @ jhyman: Did you even read the thread? The OP has already admitted todriving the speakers beyond reference volume.

    And the OP cooked 2 drivers while running a too low crossover point for home theater dynamics.

    The post you are linking doesn't make any reference to going above reference levels and had damage to the crossovers not the drivers themselves.

    If you loathe this place so much wtf do you keep coming back? Nobody wants to hear what you have to say here anyway.
    Thank you for saying what we were all thinking!
    2 Channel-
    Soundlab M3PX
    BAT VK-31
    Wyred SX1000 monos
    Esoteric DV50
    Dynavector p75 modded phono stage
    Rega P25 modded-Denon 103R Cart
    Squeezebox Touch
    Modded Music Hall DAC Burson op amps
    Richard Grey 600S
    MIT Shotgun IC's and SC

  11. #41

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    WDSM, IA
    Posts
    2,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cstmar01 View Post
    Thank you for saying what we were all thinking!
    Tact has never been my strong suit with annoying people.
    "Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    I may have an addiction... RTA-15TL, SDA 2, LSi25, LSi15, LSi9, LSi7, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LS/FX, RT/FX, DSW MP2000...and that's just the Polks...

  12. #42

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Great White North
    Posts
    1,163

    Default

    Jesus what did I do now, YES I did read the thread and so what only the Tweeters can have an issue not the woofers or vise-versa, even the OP read that thread and said he wondered if the speakers have a flaw..
    I all depends on how hard it was driven in the first place..YOU were not there..
    and I guess I was the only one who that, NOT..
    Quote Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
    @ jhyman: Did you even read the thread? The OP has already admitted todriving the speakers beyond reference volume.

    And the OP cooked 2 drivers while running a too low crossover point for home theater dynamics.

    The post you are linking doesn't make any reference to going above reference levels and had damage to the crossovers not the drivers themselves.

    If you loathe this place so much wtf do you keep coming back? Nobody wants to hear what you have to say here anyway.
    VTL Compact 100 mono blocks, Casta Acoustics Model A's, VTL 5.5 Preamp,Audio Note L3 Phono Stage with audio Note AN-S2 Step Up,HiDiamond H5 Speaker Cables,McCormack DNA 500 ,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT/Technics SL-1200Mk2,Ortofon Cadenza Red/

  13. #43
    Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
    Run auto calibration. Once that is complete, check your settings. For home theater usage, your fronts should be set to 80hz
    Once that is done, manually run the test tone and check the output from the speakers with an SPL meter. They should all be equal.

    Like I stated previously, auto calibrations are notoriously inaccurate.
    If your listening position is centered in front of your TV and your speakers are equi-distant from the centerline, they should be pretty close to the same db level and distance.
    Same goes for pretty much the rest of the system.
    One of the things I would also check is how far your subwoofer is reported from your listening position. I am willing to bet that it isn't even close to the actual distance.
    Believe it or not, audessey did set the right distances on my speakers and the db levels for each are almost dead equal from the listening position i chose. i will do the calibration via db meter and see what comes out.

  14. #44

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    WDSM, IA
    Posts
    2,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jhayman View Post
    Jesus what did I do now, YES I did read the thread and so what only the Tweeters can have an issue not the woofers or vise-versa, even the OP read that thread and said he wondered if the speakers have a flaw..
    I all depends on how hard it was driven in the first place..YOU were not there..
    and I guess I was the only one who that, NOT..
    Let's see what we DO know.
    THIS post is about LSi9s and a single blown top woofer in each. No known damage to crossovers with the OP stating that he turned it up well above reference.

    The post you linked is about RTi7s and blown capacitors in the crossovers of each speaker. No drivers were damaged and the OP in that thread never mentioned excessive volumes. Only that he "turned it up a bit" and suddenly everything went quiet.

    What we know:
    LSi9s and RTi7s do NOT use the same crossover networks. They may share a capacitor or two but other than that, they are complete different crossovers.
    Damage in both threads are to completely different components and the listening in each, completely different.

    Now, I will relent and say that *if* both threads were about the same speakers that used the same drivers and crossovers, you would have a case.
    But they aren't, they don't and you don't.

    And my information is based on the information provided by both posters. So unless they are both deliberately misleading all of us, my advice and comments stand.
    "Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    I may have an addiction... RTA-15TL, SDA 2, LSi25, LSi15, LSi9, LSi7, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LS/FX, RT/FX, DSW MP2000...and that's just the Polks...

  15. #45
    Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nwohlford View Post
    Yes, set to 80 Hz. While they can do lower than 80 Hz fine, your subwoofer can probably do it better. This will reduce the strain on your LSi9s. To do much below 80 Hz is a lot to ask of 5.25" drivers.
    ok, i just got done using the sound decibel meter and set all speakers to 75db. I did have to turn them all up by the way.
    That being said, i set the crossover to 80 hz on all speakers INCLUDING the subwoofer which was set at 120 hz. Should i leave the subwoofer at 120hz or drop it down to 80 hz like the rest of the speakers?

  16. #46

    Member Sales Rating: (2)

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    two eleven fifty-seven
    Posts
    3,383

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whitecamaross View Post
    how loud is the thx reference mark on the receiver? how many db ?
    Numbers don't really matter. Your ears told you it was too loud.
    Quote Originally Posted by whitecamaross View Post
    everything was ridiculously loud and to the point that i felt i was going to have heart murmurs. i turned the volume back to SANE levels and kept watching the movie.
    Chalk it up to temporary insanity...

  17. #47

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    WDSM, IA
    Posts
    2,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whitecamaross View Post
    ok, i just got done using the sound decibel meter and set all speakers to 75db. I did have to turn them all up by the way.
    That being said, i set the crossover to 80 hz on all speakers INCLUDING the subwoofer which was set at 120 hz. Should i leave the subwoofer at 120hz or drop it down to 80 hz like the rest of the speakers?
    At 120, to me, it would sound too "boomy". 80hz is a nice rolloff point for both. You are going to have a minor dip at 80hz but barely, if at all audible.
    "Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    I may have an addiction... RTA-15TL, SDA 2, LSi25, LSi15, LSi9, LSi7, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LS/FX, RT/FX, DSW MP2000...and that's just the Polks...

  18. #48

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A place called Winnipeg
    Posts
    2,860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mdaudioguy View Post
    Numbers don't really matter. Your ears told you it was too loud.

    Chalk it up to temporary insanity...
    You can only guide the horse to the stream, up to him to drink!

  19. #49

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whitecamaross View Post
    ok, i just got done using the sound decibel meter and set all speakers to 75db. I did have to turn them all up by the way.
    That being said, i set the crossover to 80 hz on all speakers INCLUDING the subwoofer which was set at 120 hz. Should i leave the subwoofer at 120hz or drop it down to 80 hz like the rest of the speakers?
    It depends what the subwoofer crossover means. Sometimes that is the high pass for Lfe in which case 120 hz is fine.

  20. #50

    Member Sales Rating: (13)

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Mars Hotel
    Posts
    31,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jhyman View Post
    Could this be the same problem again??
    I wonder, could it be a design flaw in the Polk's??
    Sharp loud spikes in volume very hurtful..
    This is your brain on drugs, kiddies. Just say no.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

  21. #51
    Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nwohlford View Post
    It depends what the subwoofer crossover means. Sometimes that is the high pass for Lfe in which case 120 hz is fine.
    well i am not sure what the onkyo 1009 means by 120 hz? does anyone know if in the onkyo units that is the high or low pass filter?

  22. #52

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whitecamaross View Post
    well i am not sure what the onkyo 1009 means by 120 hz? does anyone know if in the onkyo units that is the high or low pass filter?
    In a quick look at the manual, I only see what they refer to as the LPF of LFE and not a subwoofer crossover, so I would guess it is the low pass filter of the LFE. The setting is probably not critical. I would leave it at 120 Hz for now, but you can play around with it when you have the LSi15s.

  23. #53
    Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nwohlford View Post
    In a quick look at the manual, I only see what they refer to as the LPF of LFE and not a subwoofer crossover, so I would guess it is the low pass filter of the LFE. The setting is probably not critical. I would leave it at 120 Hz for now, but you can play around with it when you have the LSi15s.
    ok sounds good. In your opinion, how good of a job do you think the ls7s do vs the lsifx ? i was considering moving the lsi7s to the back and using a fxi A6 as a back surround so it would be more of a 6.1 rather than a 7.1 because the onkyo allows you to choose the amount of back channels you have.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Wanted Rotel RMB-1095
    By Luvthefloyd in forum Wanted (WTB) Classifieds
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-01-2012, 06:55 AM
  2. Need Help Rotel RMB 1095
    By xftman in forum Electronics
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 11-13-2012, 10:55 PM
  3. ~Rotel 1095 and FXi A6
    By MCCOBRA in forum Speakers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-11-2011, 01:09 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-09-2007, 08:48 PM
  5. Rotel RMB-1095
    By Terrax in forum Electronics
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-05-2005, 04:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts