Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (17)

Default I want to add whole house audio, Sonos or Squeezebox?

I have not tried either. Please give me your thoughts. I'd like to spool music from my iPhone and iPad to devices all over my house.
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!

My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/

It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Either one would work. Many here use SB, Phil and myself are pretty frickin' happy with Sonos. Both have certain advantages over one another but do the same thing. I think Sonos would be the easier of the 2 to incorporate, their software is about the best out there aside from the big buck units from Soolos and Q sonic. Also easy for a kids/wives to use which is a big bonus when you can get the wife onboard.

I use 2 Sonos boxes to cover 3 area's. I have a Cullen modded one for the main system, and one upstairs off the kitchen connected to an old receiver with speaker A/B switching to cover the outside deck speakers too. Family and guests just love the thing. Also have an app for my android to control the whole shebang when not using their controller which I believe they no longer sell anyway. Tablets work great for that function anyway.

Sb has the better built in dac, but if your going to use a seperate dac anyway it's a mute point. Both units are bit perfect devices. I'm somewhat biased towards the Sonos, their ease of use makes music more enjoyable for anyone who touches it. Plus it just works, all the time, no hiccups, no dropouts. That may not be the case for everyone as the more wireless stuff you have going on the more chances of something getting in the way. Both devices have other channels to switch to in case that happens anyway. Check them both out, see which one floats your boat.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

IIRC the Sonos is more limited as far as bitrate it can play. It can only do FLAC files up to 16 bit / 44.1 kHz. The SB can do 24/96 IIRC.

Otherwise the Sonos is very easy to use as far as grouping music Zones together to play the same thing or different. I messed with a Sonos system at a local dealer and it was pretty neat to see how it all integrated together.
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Member Sales Rating: (6)

I would like to add this to my whole audio system, which is simple enough using a receiver in 2 channel mode.

http://www.a1components.com/BVModule...FQ4EnQodHmcAew

Like to add this on my wish list but.... been there for away now... Correctly I just use my tube pre as the selector to select the source of my ipod to back feed the audio from the family room system to the audio closet system. (note the pre doesn't need to be on for the signal to be passed thur unit.)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

Integrated home automation is how you do whole house audio now.

I install a lot of HAI system into clients homes. Fantastic stuff.

Since I'm biased, the SQBT gets my vote.

Edit: I should add that this is done during NEW construction of homes usually or to replace existing home automation systems.
    Last edited by Drenis; 11-01-2012 at 08:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
    IIRC the Sonos is more limited as far as bitrate it can play. It can only do FLAC files up to 16 bit / 44.1 kHz. The SB can do 24/96 IIRC.
    True, but lets also remember that 16/44 is redbook cd quality. Now, I have a modded Sonos that does 24/96, played into the same dac as a non modded version, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. Not that differences aren't there, but you really have to listen to discern them.

All depends on the quality of the file, much like the quality of a recorded cd. Good and bad in both.

Steve,
    The Sonos or SB will make your IPOD obsolete at home and give you more music and listening options. On the road, on the go, yeah an IPOD works, at home is another ballgame.

I'll toss my hat into the ring for the SB, it just makes music in the home easy. I run a zone two on the deck, and control it through my iPad. Mostly I'm using MOG right now to stream music, I love the option of being able to build a playlist and let it rip when cooking, working outside, etc... Plans for a dedicated HD are in the works, but it all takes time and money. I'm on the 'SB will change the way you listen to music' bandwagon. I did get to play with a Sonos system in VA and really liked the dedicated controler, seemed to operate a bit better than the SB controller. I have not tried any other controllers, but I may try running iPeng soon enough.

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Sonos is a much better choice for a whole house audio system. They have built in amps that you just add speakers. They have very cool radio style boxes that have built in speakers. You can put them all over the house without Install.
    Look deep into Sonos , Squeeze box is going away. I believe they don't even make them anymore.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Ditto to the comments from Tony & Dan. Sonos is simply amazing in it's setup ease, flexibility, sound quality, ability to expand (over 130 zones). The list goes on & on...you can always settle on another system or simply get the best, SONOS!!!! Sal your wife will love you for it!!
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3010 AVR
    D>SONIC M2-600M mono's / mains
    Rotel RMB-1095 / 5 channel amp
    Rotel RMB-1075 / 5 channel amp
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.
    Def Tech ProMonitor 1000 / front & rear presence
    Velodyne SPL-1200R subs / dual pair
    DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 sub EQ
    Equitech Balanced Power Son of Q 1.5R
    Extensive room treatments

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    True, but lets also remember that 16/44 is redbook cd quality. Now, I have a modded Sonos that does 24/96, played into the same dac as a non modded version, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. Not that differences aren't there, but you really have to listen to discern them.

All depends on the quality of the file, much like the quality of a recorded cd. Good and bad in both.
    More to the point- this is for whole house audio. I know we like to go all out on everything, but I'm not going to notice the difference between 24/96 and 16/44 when I'm chopping onions in the kitchen. Don't get me wrong, I don't regret going with the B&K and Polk LCi's and Elmo's World sounds great out of them, but ultra high SQ should probably not be the driving factor here.

In this case, I'd recommend going with the one with the highest ease of use and simplest install... which is probably Sonos, but think realistically about how this will be hooked up and get your hands on both to see which interface you like better.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Steve,
    The Sonos or SB will make your IPOD obsolete at home and give you more music and listening options. On the road, on the go, yeah an IPOD works, at home is another ballgame.

But I like the all in one choice, call me old.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

Member Sales Rating: (12)

I love my squeezeboxs. Being able to sync them through my iphone/ipad and control everything at once has been great. The sonos controller is a very nice piece as well, but to me, I guess I didn't really find it any different than an iphone would be. Since I've never really realistically looked into the sonos, what are the price differences that would occur when choosing one over the other? My 2nd touch was only 195 after shipping on ebay about a month ago...
    Marantz 7005 + Adcom GFA-7500
    LSI15,9s,LSIC
    JL Fathom F112
    Marantz UD7006
    Squeezebox Touch + Hegel hd11

Sal, I've got my whole house done up with Squeezebox. If you'd like to pay a visit after power is back and life is back to normal, let me know. I've got 6 of them, all controlled via iphone/ipad, etc. I'm a pretty good use case for Squeezebox, and an hour's drive from you.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

And you can hear your old speakers in action all done up nice!
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

Sonos.
    Signature goes here

I think that in all likelihood this is like the old svs/Hsu debates. Both make great subs, but everyone is gonna vote for the one they own and few people have actually owned or have extensive exposure to both. You can't go.wrong with either option it seems. I love my sbs and it definitely changed how I listen to music, but for me that has a lot to do with having little kids. Anyway, I say look closely at thing like price, options, and availability, and go.with the one that fits your needs. It seems pretty clear both are great products with lots of satisfied customers...

One huge difference between the two systems is that the Squeezebox server can be installed and run off of a NAS. That way you can store and serve all of your music from the NAS without the need to have a computer running. With the Sonos system--and you Sonos users correct me if I'm wrong--you need to have a PC or Mac running the Sonos software in order to serve the music. You can still store your music on a NAS, but a computer must be running for Sonos to work.

This to me is a huge negative for Sonos, but perhaps it is something that will change in the future. I don't see any reason Sonos could not write a server for running off of a NAS, they just haven't yet.

Other than that, the differences between the two systems really just come down to personal preference. Both can be controlled via a smartphone or tablet, both offer their own standalone controller (Sonos Control or Squeezebox Duet), and both can be flexibly configured for multi-room audio.

The negative with Squeezebox of course is that it is discontinued, so if you want to build a SB system, I'd recommend buying all the hardware you think you might need ASAP, while it's still available.

So for me, it's an issue of picking the lesser of two evils. Go with SB and have a system that will be difficult to replace broken components or expand in the future (because they are no longer made) or go with Sonos and have a system that cannot be run from a NAS. Running from a NAS is very important to me so I went with SB. Of course that was before they were discontinued. If Sonos writes NAS server software, it would be easy to recommend Sonos fully.

RT-12, CS350-LS, PSW-300, Infinity Overture 1, Monoprice RC-65i
    Adcom GFA-545II, GFA-6000, Outlaw Audio 990, Netgear NeoTV
    Denon DCM-460, DMD-1000, Sony BDP-360, Bravia KDL-40Z4100/S
    Monster AVL-300, HTS-2500 MKII

At the end of the day, a thread like this won't accomplish much more than the Squeezebox people recommending Squeezebox and the Sonos people recommending Sonos. As I mentioned you're free to swing by my place and see what the Squeezebox is all about. Then I'd suggest you find someone with a Sonos install and check that out. Then draw your own conclusions and make your own decision.

Quote Originally Posted by nspindel View Post
    Sal, I've got my whole house done up with Squeezebox. If you'd like to pay a visit after power is back and life is back to normal, let me know. I've got 6 of them, all controlled via iphone/ipad, etc. I'm a pretty good use case for Squeezebox, and an hour's drive from you.
    Thanks. it does concern me that logitech does not list them for sale anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by mantis View Post
    Sonos is a much better choice for a whole house audio system. They have built in amps that you just add speakers. They have very cool radio style boxes that have built in speakers. You can put them all over the house without Install.
    Look deep into Sonos , Squeeze box is going away. I believe they don't even make them anymore.
    I do like the Sonos's, they are a little expensive. Trying to decide if I should get the one with built in speakers or just the one that lets me add it to my existing stereo system(s)

But I may need multiple units. 2 to 3 at least.
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!

Another consideration is since the SB has gone out, I wouldn't expect their software to evolve any further. While Sonos is always looking at upgrading it's software and adding new ways for it to fit in any home.

Other than whats already been stated above, you can always go the apple route with a mini and take it all from there.

Incidently, you can use a Nas with a Sonos and yes the computer has to be running for the software to work, but these days who doesn't have a computer running most the time anyway ?

One massive plus for the Squeezebox is that the iPhone/iPad software can also act as a player. So if you open a port on your router, you've got a Squeezebox in your car. I use that all the time, and it works great.

Incidently, you can use a Nas with a Sonos and yes the computer has to be running for the software to work, but these days who doesn't have a computer running most the time anyway ?
    Again, another personal preference. I would not want to keep a PC running 24/7, especially when I already have a NAS running 24/7 for backups, surveillance, DVR, and storing my music. If it can serve the music too and keep me from having to run another device 24/7 then that's what I would want to do (and is what I do).

Every home should have a NAS IMO. A ReadyNAS to be more specific.

But I have to say I'd be surprised if Sonos does not eventually write NAS server software since that's the way the industry is going, so this could all be moot in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by nspindel View Post
    One massive plus for the Squeezebox is that the iPhone/iPad software can also act as a player. So if you open a port on your router, you've got a Squeezebox in your car. I use that all the time, and it works great.
    There's that, and also some may not be aware that the SB Duet controller can also act as a player. Has a headphone output on it. I've used that with some portable speakers to bring music out to the shed while I was working.

The Sonos Control does not have a headphone output and cannot be used as a player, nor can the smartphone/tablet controller apps for Sonos be used as players.

Quote Originally Posted by unc2701 View Post
    More to the point- this is for whole house audio. I know we like to go all out on everything, but I'm not going to notice the difference between 24/96 and 16/44 when I'm chopping onions in the kitchen. Don't get me wrong, I don't regret going with the B&K and Polk LCi's and Elmo's World sounds great out of them, but ultra high SQ should probably not be the driving factor here.

In this case, I'd recommend going with the one with the highest ease of use and simplest install... which is probably Sonos, but think realistically about how this will be hooked up and get your hands on both to see which interface you like better.
    Yup, I like the Squeezebox for its components, but I like the Sonos for its ease of use. I dont prefer one over the other, but just wanted to note the difference in supported bitrate as it might be a determining factor as you either want to go all Sonos or all Squeezebox rather than mix and match em, so didnt know if that would be an issue.

Since I only have FLAC ripped using dbpoweramp at 16/41 its not a biggie for me either way, and I dont plan on going Redbox anytime soon myself, but I know some of you guys have higher fidelity stuff stored than I
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    nor can the smartphone/tablet controller apps for Sonos be used as players.
    Not following.....because my app works just dandy. The Sonos software can be run from any Ipad/Iphone/android phone or tablet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lasareath View Post
    Thanks. it does concern me that logitech does not list them for sale anymore.

I do like the Sonos's, they are a little expensive. Trying to decide if I should get the one with built in speakers or just the one that lets me add it to my existing stereo system(s)

Imho.....don't get the one with built in speakers. Try out a ZP90, a bridge, and use your own IPAD/phone as the controller. Connect to any stereo gear you have and away you go. If you like it, add more units around the house, if not it's easily returnable. I also might add their customer support is awesome.

Those units with built in speakers are good for a bedroom, maybe a kitchen that has limited space. I have owned the Sonos 5, the larger of the units with built in speakers and the 120 with the built in amp. Returned them both because I felt I could get better sound by way of regular stereo gear with just a zp90 hooked up. As always, a dac along the way is a good thing but don't be afraid to use a good built in dac with a receiver or any other componant you have.
    Last edited by tonyb; 11-01-2012 at 12:40 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by Lasareath View Post

Put Apple TV's into consideration, then. $100 a pop vs $350 for the Sonos w/o the amp (and that amp is nothing special). If you need high SQ, you'll want to go with the remote app and have it connect to your computer or a NAS; IIRC, airplay downgrades the quality on the latest version.

Or, put differently, can you beat the amp & DAC in the Sonos for $400? Yup.

So one of these for my main Stereo System: http://www.sonos.com/shop/products/connect

I guess I need the bridge since I don't have ethernet in my stereo room: http://www.sonos.com/shop/products/bridge

I'd like to get one of these to bring around with me when I'm in the garage, basement, shower: http://www.sonos.com/shop/products/play3

Not following.....because my app works just dandy. The Sonos software can be run from any Ipad/Iphone/android phone or tablet.
    Yes but can you use the app to play your Sonos-served music directly on your iOS/Android device? With the SB app you can. It is my understanding that with the Sonos app you can't.

Thread Information