Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default rtia7 and emotiva amp.

Hey all,

I got myself some rtia7's, but for the time being am on an amp budget and was wondering if the Emotiva upa-500 would cut it (seeing as so many speak well of the xpa)? For now I am just using the 2 speakers, but may upgrade at some point.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Will they play, of course, will they operate to their full potential, no. Save & get and XPA.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

I would rather have speakers that actually do something, instead of waiting and saving. Couldn't I get something like the xpa-2's later, and use this for surrounds or something?

Personally, I would avoid the UPA-500.
    See if you can track down a used UPA-5 (UPA-500=80wpc UPA-5=125wpc).
    The 500 is a 2U chassis and tips the scales at 23lbs.
    The 5 is a 4U chassis and weighs in at over 3 times that.

The 500 is too much of a compromise IMHO.

What are you using for a pre/pro? If you are using an AVR, get one of the more powerful 2 channel amps to power the 7s and then run the rest off your AVR. Then pick up another down the road etc.
    Last edited by ZLTFUL; 02-07-2013 at 09:13 AM.
    "Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    I may have an addiction... RTA-15TL, SDA 2, LSi25, LSi15, LSi9, LSi7, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LS/FX, RT/FX, DSW MP2000...and that's just the Polks...

Quote Originally Posted by mway View Post
    I would rather have speakers that actually do something, instead of waiting and saving. Couldn't I get something like the xpa-2's later, and use this for surrounds or something?
    Of course you can, if you have enough outlets and whatnot, you can buy monoblocks if you want. A receiver will run your speakers right now, they just won't be powered to their full potential.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

First of all, welcome to the club. Second of all, I agree with Frizz.

Take it from someone that's done the same thing you're willing to do, compromise. Save up and do it right the first time. You've got killer speakers, they really deserve great power.
    Draggn' knee is exhilarating, 150mph wheel standers are pretty cool too

Home Theater-7.2
    Display-SamsungPN64D8000 | Receiver-Onkyo TX-NR807 | Source-OPPOBDP-103 | Amplifiers-Emotiva; XPA-2 x2, XPA-3 | Speakers: PolkAudio; mains-RTiA9, rears-RTiA9, center-CSiA6, surrounds-FXiA6 | Sub-Epik Empire x 2 | Interconnects-Emotiva

Cans
    Grado RS2i

2 Ch Rig
    First purchase will be; a pair of ? but I'd love a pair of SDA SRS

I recently picked up a 2ch Parasound amp (80wpc) for use down the road. I also have Rti-A7's which are being driven by a much larger Sony ES amp.

Just for fun I hooked the Parasound up to the A7's. It sounded very nice, but I could tell the amp was running out of juice trying to push the towers.

When I switched back to the Sony amp (200wpc) the A7's jumped to life and I have never felt like the amp was even breaking a sweat.

As others have said, save your pennies for a higher power amp. I thought there was an Outlaw monoblock in the FM right now. Even though it is only one amp, they pop up for sale all the time so it wouldn't take too long to find a mate for it. The Outlaw would smoke the EMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff4rfc View Post
    First of all, welcome to the club. Second of all, I agree with Frizz.

Take it from someone that's done the same thing you're willing to do, compromise. Save up and do it right the first time. You've got killer speakers, they really deserve great power.
    +1. Don't compromise. Save up and put some power to the A7's which you can do at a reasonable price used or wait for the higher emotiva. While playing the A7's with an moderately powered AVR (don't know what you have) watch the volume level. Keep it at a moderate level until your amp purchase.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Source: SONOS Music System, DAC: W4S DAC-2, Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8801, Amp: W4S MC5, Front: Polk RTIA9, Center: Polk CSIA6, Surrounds: Polk FXIA6, Sub EQ: DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033C, Subs: 2 - Polk DSW PRO660WI, IC & Speaker Cables: Signal Cable

I am bypassing a receiver, and connecting directly to my htpc. As the 7's have the connectors already to the top and bottom, couldn't I run 2 channels to each tower giving 160w to each?

Quote Originally Posted by mway View Post
    I am bypassing a receiver, and connecting directly to my htpc. As the 7's have the connectors already to the top and bottom, couldn't I run 2 channels to each tower giving 160w to each?
    if your AVR struggles w/4 ohm loads, that may get some improvement as each channel will see 8 ohms. Full range the A7s are 4 ohms below 125 hz.

Can't hurt to try it. Either way take easy w/ the "loud" knob until you add a sub & higher quality power.

Tony
    Last edited by gp4jesus; 02-22-2013 at 12:03 PM.

Thread Information