Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Question What center/rears to get?

http://www.polkaudio.com/products/rti12
    So I recently got a good deal locally on a pair of Polk RTi12 speakers and I need to complete the rest of the setup. I'd like to stay consistent so I'm mainly considering either the CSi3 or CSi5 for the center and RTi4 or RTi6 for the surrounds. So should I be getting the larger options since the RTi12 is a fairly large speaker or does it not really matter?

I guess I never really understood the difference between the big/small center options such as the CSi3 vs CSi5 and CS10 vs CS20. I notice the bigger option usually offers a few more Hz in the lower frequency response but does it really matter much?

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Yes, it matters much. Go with the biggest center you can afford and fit into your rack/stand. The center channel does alot of the heavy lifting in a surround system.

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Most of the dialogue in the movies goes through the center channel, so the bigger the center channel - the cleaner sound you'll get out of it. A few years ago I upgraded from CS245 to CS400 and the difference was huge.

Surround speakers don't really matter, as these speakers are mainly used for ambiance sound. It's your choice - you can get RTi bookshelf speakers for more 'directed' sound or 'surround speakers' such as FXi series for more of a surround effect. You don't have to go with the same series or even the same brand of speakers for surrounds.
    Last edited by ViperZ; 02-08-2013 at 10:10 AM.

Welcome to CP!!

A third vote for the larger center. Not just dialogue comes through that puppy, but any music, special effects, explosions, etc. that the director wants front and center. A while back I started pairing my center with a small 8 inch sub using the sub's speaker-level inputs and outputs, and on bass-heavy tracks like the Dark Knight that little sub pounds. Even with a cs400i (older version of the csi5) the sub still adds a lot.

But I am surprised that Tony did not mention to you the other option, which is power those 12s well and run sans center or whats referred to as a phantom center. Those 12s could easily handle the front stage on their own especially if given the proper power. I would personally forgo the center and put that 225 (what the csi5 costs direct from polk) into a two channel amp, and then add surrounds and you will have a killer 2 channel and HT setup.

Good luck and nice score!

Member Sales Rating: (11)

I guess to each is his own. Personally, I would never replace a real center channel with whatever 'phantom' effect.

Thanks for the input guys -> I'm gonna go with the CSi5 for the center channel since it just barely fits onto the TV stand and they happen to have it up for sale at the Polk eBay store as well for a pretty reasonable price.

Still debating on the rear channels. Maybe I can find a F/Xi5 or RTi6 around somewhere.

Nothing wrong with using the RTI 4 or 6 for your surrounds. These speakers just trow sound in one direction. Polks FXI series throws the sound in a non-directional area. The difference between the 2 is positioning is more critical for the rti's in this application. Some like the directional option.

Heya i pick the bigger one. As i just upgraded to the CSi5 on wednesday!! What a difference it has made!! Love it wish i found it
    Sooner and for $150 to boot!!

Yes,the bigger center is better. If you have the budget then go for the FXI, although the RTI series is good also. I use RTi4's for my surrounds and they do a good job. I may upgrade to the bigger FXI series in the future though.
    Home Theatre.............

Pioneer SC-35
    Polk RTi10's Fronts
    Polk CSiA6 Center
    RTi4 Surrounds
    SVS PB-12 Sub

2 Channel.............................

Yaqin MC-100B
    Energy RC-70 Speakers
    Arcam CD-192 Disc Player
    Van Den Hul Interconnects