Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default TL350 with out a SUB and

Hi,

New here, looking around for a 5.1 speaker system that is small and has great sound. It's for my living room that I need it to melt into the background and not bee seen as much as possible. After reading many review and different brand of speakers I'm starting to think the TL350 are what I need.

My other system (in the basement) consist of a older Denon amp and B&W speakers with a REL sub.

My living room system is all new I dont even have the Amp yet.

My main use is listing to music in stereo and the odd movie/TV (in surround) along with gaming with WiiU and PS3 (in surround)

Have a few questions:

1. How good are the TL350 without a SUB?, I will add a sub at some point but just for now I would like peoples views on this.

2. I assume the TL350 will have better sound than the TL250 but how much better? again my main use is going to be music so have do they 350 differ form the 250 in this regard.

3. For rear speaker placement how is it best to position the TL's with regards to the height from the ground, should I follow the standard height that you normal use for surround speakers or do they like to be mounted in a different way. On my other system I have all speakers (full size floor speakers) all at ear level.

4. How many hours does it take one average for the TL's to run in, 50,100 or 200 plus hours. How did your system run, how did it change?

Many thanks

Ray

From what I have read go with the TL3's. But I have to say I love my TL2's. I have the center and 2 for my side surrounds. I got my surrounds on ebay used for $100 for the pair and they are in perfect condition. The TL2's got great reviews. At first I wasn't happy with the center but once broken in I couldn't be happier. I have a Pioneer VSX921k. I am using a Sony sub from my old HTIB which I will be upgrading. I am also using my old Sony surround speakers for the rears until I can get 2 more TL2's. I have Sony tower speakers which I will also upgrade to Monitor 60s or 70s. I have my TL2 surrounds mounted from the ceiling angled down and they sound wonderful. I am no audiophile but my little system rocks for our family room!

This is encouraging, I'm still trying to find a dealer that has them on show so I can hear them. Thanks for your reply

Member Sales Rating: (1)

The TL3s are decent, but don't expect them to sound all that great with deep bass, they simply aren't built for it. You will be able to get by for a bit, but plan on getting a sub. I use a pair as my pc speakers they are plugged into a left over Cambridge Soundworks Soundworks system sub/amp that I have. It sounds great. I don't think you will be disappointed with a TL3 system.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Your welcome. I can't wait to complete my all Polk system. I will always have towers though for my L/R fronts but can't wait to replace the rears with the TL2's. And get a new sub. I will upgrade the towers last. Definitely get a sub for sure.

If it's purely music, the tl3 is exactly what you want. The tl2 is nice but voiced differently. In terms of performance/voicing, they're similar to the monitor/rti/lsi comparisons.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

you can get a tl3 system that includes a sub
    HT/2channel:
    AVR: Yamaha RX-V 765
    Fronts: Polk RTiA3
    sub: Polk PSW110(will add 2x PSW 505)
    Center: CS13
    surrounds:Polk RTi4
    TV: samsung 40
    The real 2 Channel(work in progress):
    Pre:HK 3490
    Amp:Parasound 1200 MK II
    Sub:RBH 1010-SEP
    Speakers: YTD
    most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)

Member Sales Rating: (20)

I really like the TL3, I think it's by far the best satellite Polk has ever made and one of the best on the market today. BUT, you'll need a sub with them for sure, there's no question about it. I've used them even in a small room in a computer setup and they really needed a sub there, in a large room you're definitely going to need a sub.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

I'm not discounting the polks but before you buy check out definitive technology pro cinema 6 or 8 hundred satellite systems, heard they are pretty rad, waiting on a pair of the 800's for surrounds
    Last edited by seabeerob213; 02-09-2013 at 07:48 AM.
    HT/2channel:
    AVR: Yamaha RX-V 765
    Fronts: Polk RTiA3
    sub: Polk PSW110(will add 2x PSW 505)
    Center: CS13
    surrounds:Polk RTi4
    TV: samsung 40
    The real 2 Channel(work in progress):
    Pre:HK 3490
    Amp:Parasound 1200 MK II
    Sub:RBH 1010-SEP
    Speakers: YTD
    most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)

Yes I for sure will get a sub to go with it, I was just trying to do it in stages, but I see Polk running a promotion with a free sub, so that may not be an issue

Thread Information