Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Parasound 2100 PreAmp

Kicking around the idea of getting rid of the Onkyo TX SR805 and getting the Parasound 2100 to go with my Parasound HCA1200II amp. This a good match/change?? Will I notice a big difference, or do ya think I should just sit tight with the ONK?? I'm not hating the Onk, just looking for an upgrade?? Thanks
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it!!"

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

You don't need an excuse to "upgrade" around here. You may not know the Club Polk Mantra yet:

Separates trump All-in-one receivers! So yeah, you'll hear a difference and once you're done with that you can join H9 in his Quest for the Holy Grail of TUBES! But you have to buy a tube amp first!

Look, there is NO end to what you can do to your system, but at some point you just have to take a break and make some popcorn. That's what I'm doing! If I didn't stop and make some popcorn, occasionally, I'd just "lose" my mind and I'd be living in a BOX on the street (homeless) but there would be ONE HELL of a STEREO system next to me on that CURB! lol.

Have fun!

cnh
    Last edited by cnh; 02-08-2013 at 09:03 PM.
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Johnny,the biggest change in my two channel was going separates.I used a NAD avr, it sounded good to my ears I kept reading here about separates.I just had to try it and was grinning ear to ear when I changed.Kind of like when you added your amp,its a ear opening experience.

Will I still be able to hook up my cable, and DVD player the same so I can hear my Pandora through the Pre Amp?? If so, I may just do this! Plus the Pre Amp has a remote for my lazy but in the bedroom!

I think there are a few pre's with HT bypass.Im not sure what models maybe another member can help with that,or google and see what comes up.

Checkout the Parasound 2100 owners thread at AVSforum. That will keep ya reading till the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfatdogs View Post
    Johnny,the biggest change in my two channel was going separates.I used a NAD avr, it sounded good to my ears I kept reading here about separates.I just had to try it and was grinning ear to ear when I changed.Kind of like when you added your amp,its a ear opening experience.
    Have you gone tubes? If not thats your next best biggest rabbit hole. I went seperates and tubes and new speakers at the same time on my 2 channel and its someplace I NEVER want to leave.

If anything its making me want to invest more in the tube rabbit hole...
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | DIY Pass BOSOZ| Parasound HCA-1200ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Quote Originally Posted by tophatjohnny View Post
    Will I still be able to hook up my cable, and DVD player the same so I can hear my Pandora through the Pre Amp?? If so, I may just do this! Plus the Pre Amp has a remote for my lazy but in the bedroom!
    If you use your BluRay (and if it has RCA outs) you can listen to Pandora. There are a few options depending on what outputs you have. I can take a look if you like.
    It's better to burn out, than poop your pants

CDM 1NT; B&W CDM CNT; Parasound HCA-1000a; Infinity us 1; Velodyne DEQ-8 x2; Pio Elite VSX-23; Sony SCD-CE595 SACD, Marantz CD5001, [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by deronb1 View Post
    If you use your BluRay (and if it has RCA outs) you can listen to Pandora. There are a few options depending on what outputs you have. I can take a look if you like.
    Thanks. Looks like I'd have to say Bye Bye to the HDMI cables??

Yep, no hdmi, no digital inputs either, strictly 2 channel. Unless you want a HT pre/pro, but thats more coin.

Kicking around the idea of getting rid of the Onkyo TX SR805 and getting the Parasound 2100 to go with my Parasound HCA1200II amp. This a good match/change?? Will I notice a big difference, or do ya think I should just sit tight with the ONK?? I'm not hating the Onk, just looking for an upgrade?? Thanks
    One word...Yes!...I just upgraded to the Parasound 2100 about 3 weeks ago the detail of this unit to me stomps anything I have had before.I agree with cnh,and the others "Tubes" for a great two channel set up would be my next step.Like h9 would say they add Soul.

Tankman- considering this pre. Are you using a turntable? IF so how does the phono input sound compare to any stand alone phono pre's you've used? I've seen some critical comments on the Halo line as being to sterile maybe or not warm enough- your thoughts and other gear in your chain would be useful.

I have the 2100 in a second system and really like it.Phono stage is great unless you are going high end table and cartridge then i'm sure you'd want a better pre.
    Has lots of nice features.A few changes back i had it mixed in with the AVR setup and it worked beautifully when i wanted to break out 2 channel thru that system.
    Just my 2 cents.

Thanks. Looks like I'd have to say Bye Bye to the HDMI cables??
    The Parasound 2100 has a bypass input that would allow you to use your receiver for HT duties.

Have you gone tubes? If not thats your next best biggest rabbit hole. I went seperates and tubes and new speakers at the same time on my 2 channel and its someplace I NEVER want to leave.

If anything its making me want to invest more in the tube rabbit hole...
    Yes I went with the Dared 2000a a while back,I still cant believe how smooth things sound.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfatdogs View Post
    Yes I went with the Dared 2000a a while back,I still cant believe how smooth things sound.
    Dan
    Cool Dan, a great bang for your buck when getting into tubes for sure. Someday when your wallet allows, step up to a Rogue, Cary, Conrad Johnson, VTL, Vac, Manley, AR, Bat.....some good steps up can be had if buying used. I know your pretty satisfied now, but just a thought to keep in the back of your brain. This hobby always begs for upgrades.

Hey Tony,I have been looking already,there's a BAT on Craig s list in my area.I'm just not ready to sell my truck to get it.

Wow, now I'm hearing that I can't run my DVD player, cable box/TV with just the Parasound 2100 hooked up to my Parasound 2 chanel amp?? This is frustrating!!!!!

sure you can.... run L & R rca out of each into the pre and then run your video cables either HDMI or Component into the TV and switch inputs on the TV for differant sources.

I'm trying to figure it out for sure. Thanks

Wow, now I'm hearing that I can't run my DVD player, cable box/TV with just the Parasound 2100 hooked up to my Parasound 2 chanel amp?? This is frustrating!!!!!
    When you do upgrade too a nice per-amp and you get more coin add a nice DAC with a USB port and you will have the best of both worlds..Keep us posted! Like tonyb said gotta luv this hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by TNHNDYMAN View Post
    Tankman- considering this pre. Are you using a turntable? IF so how does the phono input sound compare to any stand alone phono pre's you've used? I've seen some critical comments on the Halo line as being to sterile maybe or not warm enough- your thoughts and other gear in your chain would be useful.
    That's the one thing that I have found with the reviews on the Halo line being "sterile" it is the mains reason I want too upgrade my amps and I have 3 that I am looking at the Parasound A21,Vincent and maybe EMO's XPA-1 monoblocks but that amp EMO that is I have read is a very"neutral" or sterile"and that's what I am looking to get away from.I like what the Vincent has killer power supply over 5k and lots of headroom and the tubes on the input stage and not a bad price for it too.I think I will give the Vincent a try out soon maybe in about 3 or 4 weeks AA has a 30 day thing on them too.I have been looking into a Turntable too add.

I owned that Parasound model last year and it was a significant upgrade over my Pioneer Elite AVR I had at the time. It's a solid unit. The only thing I didn't like was not being able to see where the volume dial was from my listening position. I regret having to move it as my current pre-amp does not equal what I had.

I'll continue to sit in my happy little tube integrated world. I've often wondered about moving into a new setup involving a tube pre and a SS amp, but I just can't justify it until I'm ready for some BIG upgrades. For the price that you can get some of those used integrateds, they're just damn hard to beat. Only problem is they're somewhat of a rare breed on the used market.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

I would try a tubed pre as I have wanted to for some time. However, I'm am terrified to try a Integrated. I wouldn't want to clip a tube amp. Period.

Thread Information