Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by badchad View Post
    Although I miss the storage, I really like NOT having a basement. I'm on a slab and have corkboard and hardwood floors. The slab gives the entire floor a very "solid" feel, and the corkboard feels a little softer to offset that. There are no creaks or sound as you walk across it. I'd keep the slab.
    +1

I like the storage I get from my basement, but I hate dealing with it. We have a high water table here so water is a constant fear for me. I've never flooded but people around me have. We have an underground stream in my area and after Hurricane Irene one of my neighbors had five foot of water in his basement and has had flooding issues ever since, it seems the stream busted a new branch right at his house...

Plus my floors don't have that nice solid slab feel. I'm looking at adding more joist to my floors in the basement to take some of the "spring" out of my floors.

basements are VERY common up here. The only homes that don't come with them at this point are very small starter homes or townhomes... Neither are an option for me.

If you do one, they need to be done right; high ceilings, insulated concrete, water sealing inside and out, proper french drain...

It's expensive to do one right and most builders skip a lot of steps on them. You have to watch them like a hawk.
    Living room:
    Samsung PN50B860 50" Plasma : Oppo BDP-103 : Roku 3 : Denon AVR-2808Ci : Definitive Tech ProMonitor 800 R&L : ProCenter 1000 : Polk FXi 3 Surrounds : Twin Velodyne SPL 10 Series II's :

2Ch:
    Polk LSi 9's : Parasound HCA 1500A : Pro-Ject Debut Carbon : Cambridge 640P Phono Stage : Musical Fidelity M1 S DAC : APC H15 : MacBook Pro Retina :

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Step #1 - Cut hole in concrete slab. preferably in a closet.
    Step #2 - Dig
    Step #3 - Hanger pictures on dirt walls.

Wala!

Caution. With dirt walls, be prepared to have every worm on a 1/4mile radius in your new HT. They like vibrations and your sub will become their vest friend.

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Quote Originally Posted by jbooker82 View Post
    It would probably be cheaper to build a bunker / basement next to your house. Then have an access point / steps built into or on to the side your house.
    I'm with booker on this one! A friend of mine had his house "extended". He already had a basement so what they did is added a Master suite to the back of the house with a New "basement" under that. That would certainly be easier. This was done in the mid-nineties and not in Ca. but in Me. where building costs are a FRACTION of what you guys pay in "overpriced" real estateville! He spent about $70,000 on the entire project but this including the expansion of the first floor, master suite and an extra bedroom and bath on that first floor, the roofing and the poured concrete basement.

As for earthquakes! There is a kind of reinforced concrete with metal fibrous materials mixed into it that the Japanese use that is, I believe, 50 times greater in strength than common concrete walls. I have no idea what that would run, but it's 'designed' for earthquakes!

cnh
    Last edited by cnh; 02-10-2013 at 04:54 PM.
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Your correct on the earthquake proof concrete. Much times it's used in footings for taller buildings and bridges. But for the average homeowner, the cost would be out right crazy. Incidently, nothing is earthquake proof so to speak. These special concretes are designed to be more flexible for the many minor quakes areas such as Cali gets. Given a large quake however, crap comes down no matter what you do. Unless they start designing buildings that float on air, everything is anchored to the ground which can move alot in an earthquake zone. A basement may stay intact, but the cracks that would be created would make it unlivable/usable afterwards.

build a media room over the garage - or an addition to the back of the house - or a separate out-building on the back 40.... yeah thats it, a separate outbuilding will work.
    Yamaha RX-V2700, EMI 711As (front), RCA K-16 (rear), Magnavox Console (Center & TV Stand), Sony SMP-N200 media streamer, Dual 1249 TT =--- Sharp Aquas 60" LCD tellie

I like the bunker idea. The backyard is big enough for a good size listening/HT room, and it can be covered over with grass. I have thought of the over the garage or second floor option, but I was thinking the basement would be better for sound proofing.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    I've noticed that, why is it so?
    One word....

Earthquake

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    I like the bunker idea. The backyard is big enough for a good size listening/HT room, and it can be covered over with grass. I have thought of the over the garage or second floor option, but I was thinking the basement would be better for sound proofing.
    Why not both, the top you can turn into an observation deck....if you have anything to observe that is. Like maybe a hot neighbor who sun tans naked, I dunno. Or a covered patio on the top. Options are endless. Heck, open a outdoor bar up on the roof, 5 buck cover, make some money.

I have had basements in my 2 homes, and love it. Place to keep my drums and practice, so I try to keep it nice. Not remodeled, just nice. Kinda gives that Jam atmosphere and I dig it. Also keep the foosball table down there for unsuspecting victims!!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it!!"

Thread Information