Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Sonus Faber Venere 2.0

So this exact model isn't out yet, but the smaller bookie in the series, the 1.5, is. I got a demo of it today and wasn't quite impressed, but I'm chalking that up to a horrible setup and bad component matching. Their aesthetics are EXACTLY what I would love to have in my bedroom though. We have very dark/rich purple walls with all white furniture. Here is a pic of the 1.5 in white. I'm more interested in upgrading my main rig right now, but these really got me thinking about that second setup. The idea is to get the Pioneer SX-34 my father-in-law gave me spruced up and use that to mate to some bookies. The SX-34 is a 8-watt tube receiver from the 60's and I really dig the looks of it. Its somewhat light and small compared to the Sansui he gave me. I kind of ruled the 1.5's out due to their 85 db efficiency. The 2.0's have an 88 db efficiency.

Here's some questions:

Has anyone had a chance to hear these on a solid rig yet?

Will 8 tube watts be enough to get them going in a rather large bedroom? Not looking for massive sound, just something relaxing. I assume I'll be fine here.

Am I wrong to rule out the 1.5 due to the lower efficiency? I'd much rather go this route eventually due to size/price, but I'm scared of the amp pairing.

I don't know if the bedroom system will ever come to fruition, but after seeing these, I really hope I get there someday. Maybe a graduation present is in the works.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Skip,
    There is a special Best Buy right across from North Park Mall that carries Sonus Faber and B&W. they are hooked up to Arcam, Elite and Mcintosh gear. The nicer Fabers have the ring radiator tweeter. Another place has the B&W setup with the finest Vienna Acoustics. Fabers are nice, as well as Vienna but next to B&W.... No chance.

My liking of Ushers, is that, they are more refined than the B&W speakers. And as costly, needless to say...

Audiogon is littered with B&W. I wish I could find me some mini x's on there.

And. The Fabers are more laid back.

And to answer your question. Low efficiency and 8 tube watts simply will not work. Unless of course, whisper loud music and details is your thing. I don't have bionic ears, like most here.

The bottom line. If those Fabers make you happy, find the power source to bring them to life. You may have to charge me rent afterwards. Hahaha

Member Sales Rating: (10)

dskip, stan at usher is thinking about selling an upgraded version of the discontinued v601 bookshelf. i could try to get a pair over for a listen. stan promised he would let me give them a go.
    http://usheraudiousa.com/products/lo...v-series/v-601
    and maybe i can get them for the lsaf.
    Main system
    http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...pin&1162599347 Freelance reviewer for StereoMojo

Thread Information