Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Default My listening room

I decided to use one of my extra bedrooms for my listening room/wifes gaming area. Its a basic setup that is almost complete. The tv will be mounted on the wall, I may or may not get this equipment shelf http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Whalen+F...9#tab=overview to replace the tv stand, and I will be getting the ikea ponag chair http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/pr...28/#/S79903930

I hooked it all up and after a few adjustments It sounds good. I think I will need to make some acoustic panels. certain frequencies have odd effects in the room. It can get uncomfortable to listen to. I found out quickly that having the speakers near the back wall greatly inflates the midrange and makes everything sound muffled. If you have any ideas on where to start with placing panels let me know. I am researching the subject currently.

I am really happy with the way it came out. Looks better then I thought it would.

Attached Images  
    Last edited by specd_out; 02-11-2013 at 02:29 PM. Reason: I am an idiot and forgot the photo
    HT Rig Sharp LC-52LE810|Panasonic BDP210|Pioneer Elite VSX-32|Polk Audio RTiA5 Cherry|Polk Audio CsiA6 Cherry|Polk Audio T-15|DSW Pro 600, Micro Pro4000 powered with a Crown XLS1000

2Channel Rig Polk Audio LSi9 Cherry| Carver C-1|Carver M1.0t|Dual 1257|Acer A500|Pioneer SW8-MKII X2

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Congrats !!! Enjoy your new room.

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Definitely need at least 4 panels - one behind each speaker, and one at the first reflection point for each speaker.

I'm sorry, you lost me at "wife's gaming area" - please, go on!
    Bedroom 2 channel: NAD C316BEE, Marantz cd6004, Polk Audio TSi100, Audioquest Bedrock & King Cobra
    HT: Onkyo HT-RC360, Athena Micra 6

Sweet set up man. I also have the LSi9 but in cherry. After seeing pics like yours of the ebony, I'm beginning to think I should have went for that color.

Have you tried corner loading the subs?
    CD Player: Original CD-A8T
    Pre: Antique Sound Lab Passive T1-X DT
    Amp: NAD C270
    Speakers: B&W DM6
    "I would rather have a cup of tone than an ocean of power" **Dr. Harvey Rosenberg**

The room looks great, if you want to keep the room to yourself for serious listening, lose the TV. I have a dedicated listening room with no TV and nobody goes in that room but me because they sure don’t want to just sit and listen to music.
    O

Congrats in your new room. Enjoy!

check out GIK acoustics, they are affordable and can provide friendly advice if you call them. for $50 per panel, you can spend more time listening and less time stapling.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    Definitely need at least 4 panels - one behind each speaker, and one at the first reflection point for each speaker.
    By 1st reflection point, do you mean on the walls next to the speakers?
    HT:
    Projector - JVC HD100, 100" Fixed Screen, A/V Receiver - Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH, Power Conditioner - Panamax M5300-EX, BluRay - Sony PS3 Looking for a gently used Oppo BD95, Speakers - RTiA9's, CSiA6, FXi A4, Sub - 12" M&K VX-1250

Living Room:
    TV - Kuro Elite PRO-111FD, Fronts.Rti10's (not connected yet), Media source, Logitech Revue

*Need to fix a used ADCOM GFA-555. Do you know where to have it services in Texas (Houston Area)?

Quote Originally Posted by pablo_rodz View Post
    By 1st reflection point, do you mean on the walls next to the speakers?
    Essentially, yes. Go to GIK acoustics and read through some of their articles. They do a really good job explaining what you are looking for when adding room treatments.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

nice room

enjoy
    HT:Polk LSi c LSi 15's LSi 7's LSi FX's Dual DSW MP3K's Marantz AV7701 Sunfire TGA-7401 Oppo BDP-93 Sony PS3 Directv Genie HD DVR Sony 55" 3D LED LCD

2 C: VR3 LSIM 703's Monitor 5B's VR3 LSi 9's Audioquest Rocket 33's DSW MP 1K Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang 50Years Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's Tesla E83CC's Marantz 2385 Yamaha M80 Parasound 2100 Pre Squeezebox Touch Marantz SA8004 SACD Music Hall MMF 5.1 TT Musical Surroundings Phonomena II Phono Pre Solid Silver IC's, Pangea PC's

Quote Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
    I'm sorry, you lost me at "wife's gaming area" - please, go on!
    Yea she plays COD and battlefield with me online

Quote Originally Posted by organ View Post
    Sweet set up man. I also have the LSi9 but in cherry. After seeing pics like yours of the ebony, I'm beginning to think I should have went for that color.
    They actually are not ebony. I removed the sides for re-staining. They are naked at the moment

Have you tried corner loading the subs?
    No but after the success of doing that in my HT rig I have considered it for this room

Quote Originally Posted by outlander View Post
    The room looks great, if you want to keep the room to yourself for serious listening, lose the TV. I have a dedicated listening room with no TV and nobody goes in that room but me because they sure don’t want to just sit and listen to music.
    O
    I would but my wife needs a gaming area, and I enjoy bluray concerts, so I use the tv to watch those as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    Essentially, yes. Go to GIK acoustics and read through some of their articles. They do a really good job explaining what you are looking for when adding room treatments.
    Thanks for the info. I will check them out
    HT Rig Sharp LC-52LE810|Panasonic BDP210|Pioneer Elite VSX-32|Polk Audio RTiA5 Cherry|Polk Audio CsiA6 Cherry|Polk Audio T-15|DSW Pro 600, Micro Pro4000 powered with a Crown XLS1000

2Channel Rig Polk Audio LSi9 Cherry| Carver C-1|Carver M1.0t|Dual 1257|Acer A500|Pioneer SW8-MKII X2

Member Sales Rating: (37)

First reflection point will be tough with the window. I have that problem in my 2-channel room.

Also, either you have too much toe-in or I don't have enough. Since no one else has mentioned anything, I'm leaning towards I don't have enough. But I guess if yours sounds good to you and mine sounds good to me it doesn't really matter.

Nice set-up. Enjoy!
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Quote Originally Posted by PSOVLSK View Post
    First reflection point will be tough with the window. I have that problem in my 2-channel room.

Also, either you have too much toe-in or I don't have enough. Since no one else has mentioned anything, I'm leaning towards I don't have enough. But I guess if yours sounds good to you and mine sounds good to me it doesn't really matter.

Nice set-up. Enjoy!
    Can always use a stand-based 'portable' panel in front of the window or hang it with the curtains :)

Too much toe-in will most likely zero-in on a single listening chair (sweet spot)

Very cool. Im debating about adding a TV to my listening room.

Member Sales Rating: (10)

just sit back, close your eyes and sip on some wild turkey, you don't need a tv
    Main system
    http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...pin&1162599347 Freelance reviewer for StereoMojo

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Quote Originally Posted by marvda1 View Post
    just sit back, close your eyes and sip on some wild turkey, you don't need a tv
    ^ This, don't know about wild turkey though... Just beverage of choice would be my suggestion^

I'm new here, but some quick observation I would say the room is only about a 10 x 12 maybe? if that is the case or smaller, I would remove one of the subs. That is what is causing the extra mid range and muffled sound. Subs support those mid to low Hz ranges that can be taken as the fronts are two close to rear wall or making the sound seem uneven. The ideal is to have your speakers set evenly across the front stage so each speaker will reach the listener at the same time. Another way to combat this is use the speaker distance guide to help reduce or enhance each speakers presance within the setup. I see you have the Pioneer VSX 91TX series that comes with the auto EQ mic setup. I would run that and see if it can adjust those levels for you, then if you still have those sound issues remove one one of the subs and do the same with the mic setup.

Spiked speaker stands?
    Down
    RTiA9 - CSiA6 - FXiA6 - Dual HSU VTF-15H
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

Up
    LSi9 LSiC - RX-V3000

RT5000p Waiting in the Wings...

Quote Originally Posted by recoveryone View Post
    I'm new here, but some quick observation I would say the room is only about a 10 x 12 maybe? if that is the case or smaller, I would remove one of the subs. That is what is causing the extra mid range and muffled sound. Subs support those mid to low Hz ranges that can be taken as the fronts are two close to rear wall or making the sound seem uneven. The ideal is to have your speakers set evenly across the front stage so each speaker will reach the listener at the same time. Another way to combat this is use the speaker distance guide to help reduce or enhance each speakers presance within the setup. I see you have the Pioneer VSX 91TX series that comes with the auto EQ mic setup. I would run that and see if it can adjust those levels for you, then if you still have those sound issues remove one one of the subs and do the same with the mic setup.
    I got rid of the muddy mid range when I pulled the speakers away from the wall. I will kill one of the subs and see what I get though. I my vsx is in my ht setup. My 2channel is a carver pre and amp

Yes Inspector the stands are spiked

Looking forward to hear your results
    Family Room HT 7.1:
    Pioneer Elite VSX 32 Pioneer Elite BDP 95FD Pioneer Elite DV 47Ai Pioneer Elite MD53 SlimDevice Transporter Panamax M5300-EX
    Living room 2ch:
    Integra ADM 2.1 Teac EQ MKII Squeezebox Touch Fluance SX Speakers
    Upstaris media room:
    Pioneer VSX D510 Sony PS3 Squeezebox Classic 3 Polkaudio speakers Monitor 40 II fronts CSR Center
    Master bedroom:
    Pioneer VSX 520k Pioneer BDP 330 Squeezebox Classic 3 Optimus LX5 fronts & Rears Optimus CS3 center Acoustic Audio sub

Lucky you!!! I have a similar my size extra bed room I would like to 2 channels music room. But my wife wants to keep as guest room which 99% of time unoccupied and ask me to renovate my unfinished basement.
    MAIN:
    Front- Lsi 15,
    Center- lsiC,
    Surrounds- lsi F/X,
    Front wide - LsiM 703,
    Power sub PSW1000,
    Receiver- Onkyo 809,
    Emotiva XPA-5.
    --------------------------------------------------------

Man if I had a basement i would be all over that.

Nice room and a great looking chair. Did you get one?
    Main Family Room: Sony 46 LCD, Sony Blue Ray, Sony DVD/VCR combo,Onkyo TXNR 708, Parasound 5250,
    Polk SDS-SRS with mods, CSI 5 center + Klipsch SC2, Polk RT2000P rears, Klipsch KG 1.5's sides, Polk Micro Pro 1000, Polk Micro Pro 2000, Polk SW505, Belkin PF60, Signal Cable Classics,Monster IC's, 2 15 amp circuits & 1 20 amp circuit.

Living Room: Belkin PF60, Parasound HCA2200, MIT ProlineEXP balanced IC's,Emotiva XDA-1 DAC/Pre,Emotiva ERC2 transport,MIT AVT2, Polk LSI 9's.

Not yet. Acoustic panels are first on my list. I am picking up the supplies for them today. The acoustics in this room suck. I dont enjoy listening in there right now. Thus the reason for my rush on building the panels

Just wanted to update this with some more progress. I am building 8 2x3x4 acoustic panels. Four of the panels will be bass traps placed across the two front corners. They will go nearly floor to ceiling. Two will be for first reflections and two will be hung in the rear of the room. Today I got all the frames built and tomorrow I will be sanding the rough edges.

I ordered the Roxul Safe and Sound batts, and I am hoping they come in soon. My wife picked out some fabric. She said it will complement the color we plan on painting the room. I dunno though. I have my doubts. I also found two posters I plan on framing.

Heck yea man I have that rat pack poster framed above my bar.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

"Eeee-Oh-Eleven."
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

UPDATE:

I finished all the wall treatments. I have floor to ceiling bass traps, and 4 acoustic panels. Two on the first reflection points and two behind the chair.

I used roxul safe and sound which is 4'x8'x3". Framed it and wrapped it in fabric. Total cost for all materials was just under $130 for 8 panels.

The results where amazing. Every issue I was having has been fixed. Imaging has improved. Instruments are more discernible and its easier to find their location. The bass was the biggest change. That room seemed like a giant bass void. I had to have the subs maxed to get it where I liked it. As soon as the panels went up I had to turn the subs down to just below half.

I am very happy. I would advise everyone who can to do this before upgrading anything else. It is the biggest bang for the buck improvement I have found so far.
    Also if you plan on doing this DL the Joann's app. They always have coupons for 40% or 50% off material.

This is how I hung the panels on the door and the closet

My favorite part. My Ikea chair. So comfortable and stylish. I love this thing

Nice. I like the design on the fabric you used.
    CD Player: Original CD-A8T
    Pre: Antique Sound Lab Passive T1-X DT
    Amp: NAD C270
    Speakers: B&W DM6
    "I would rather have a cup of tone than an ocean of power" **Dr. Harvey Rosenberg**

Thread Information