Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Default Advice on fixing up Ultralinear speakers

My brother-in-law asked me to do a restoration job on a pair of speakers of his from the late 70's called "Ultralinear". He was telling me how much he loved these speakers "back in the day" but they need an overhaul. One particular problem he is having is that they cut in and out on him a lot.

I'm sure the cutting in and out is some sort of loose connection, which could be repaired easily enough. But if I'm going to start ripping into them, it's probably wise to pull the crossovers and replace the caps and resistors.

From what I've read online these aren't really high end speakers, although they did seem to have a good following. From a value perspective, it doesn't seem like these are worth investing in boutique caps, so I'm looking for a recommendation on inexpensive caps to use instead of the typical Sonicaps and Clarity that we use on the Polks. Would Daytons fit the bill?
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Those were "Store Brand", and had simple crossovers. 2ways had just a cap for the tweeter. Dayton 1% or Clarity PX are about the same $$. Mundorf MOX are cheaper than Mills if any resistors are found. I did see one with an L-Pad, so that would need some DeoxIT if it has one. Also check for foam rot on the woofer.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL
    Center: Custom Built http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...hannel-Project
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...rround-Project
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat & Hurricane Nuts.
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-350

"So is there any tread left on those tires or is it just like throwing a hotdog down a hallway?"

www.dhsspeakerservice.com

Cool, thanks WMG!
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

Used Dayton on several cheep speakers with very good results.

Excellent. I'm getting hold of these speakers this weekend, I'll start pulling them apart and get a feel for what I'm dealing with. After reading up on these, part of me wants to tell my bro-in-law that these aren't worth the effort, and to go find some used Polk monitors on CL. But on the other hand, he's had these for 35 years and he's always loved them. I understand the sentimental attachment, so assuming it's not too high-budget for the parts and the foam on the woofers hasn't rotted out, then I'd be psyched to give them back to him singing the way he likes.

Keeping the value point of the project in mind I wouldn't be afraid to use the 5% Dayton "audio" grade caps that are dirt cheep and still take you way beyond the original electrolytic parts in those speakers.

They're the same caps, just binned for 1%, and the rest are marked 5%
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL
    Center: Custom Built http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...hannel-Project
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...rround-Project
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat & Hurricane Nuts.
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-350

"So is there any tread left on those tires or is it just like throwing a hotdog down a hallway?"

www.dhsspeakerservice.com

Thread Information