About a month ago I got some first gen LSi9's in cherry. While I love the speakers I just could not get to liking the cherry on the first gens. To me it looked like bamboo placemats
So with help from F1nut (a lot of help) I stripped the finish and refinished the panels. I did a combination of Rustoelum Cabernet and Black Cherry stains and the covered it with about 10 coats of lacquer that I sprayed on. The color was pretty spot on to what I wanted.
It was not and easy task. If I where to do it again I would just remove the veneer and apply a new one. The veener peeled on every panel except one. The original glue was not very strong when moisture, or heat was applied. Huge pain in the butt. Got them all glued down but its not a smooth as it once was. Not a deal breaker but o'well.
I also refinished the sanus stands in the same color and did the bases in a Piano black vs the flat black they once where. Overall I am very happy with the end result. Its my first venture into wood refinishing and I surprised my self with how well it came out. If it wasnt for the peeling issue I am pretty sure they wood be perfect. I also need to find a better two sided tape. What I used is too thick and I am not happy with the gap on the edges.
Once again a huge thanks to F1nut