Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default has anyone repaired a peerless tweeter for a 10a monitor?

I am new to club poke. I have it set of 10 A's with 1 bad tweeter. it is the 5514 tweeter. the 1 that works sounds fantastic. I would like to open it up to see if I can repair it but I can't figure how to open it. if this is a dead end with anyone be interested in the set 1 working one not? from what I've researched this is the desirable so called peerless tweeter. red wire. black face. bronze back 55142380

Welcome to the forum.

The peerless tweets can sometimes go bad at one of the lead wires that come out of the voice coil and across the faceplate. if this is the case it may be repairable. if it is internal. i do not know of any replacement parts being available. This an be checked by very lightly scratching the coating off the lead wire next to the voice coil and checking with an ohm meter to check it for continuity between that point and the connector for the speaker wire, if you don't visually see a defect.

I know it doesn't appear that your post is for the reason of selling your speakers but since yo did mention it. be aware that forum rules state you must have 100 posts before selling on the forum. I personally don't judge but some others do. You may not want to go down that road.

thanks for the info. and yes, sorry for the error. I will take the time to read the forum rules which I should have done before. thanks again and I will be trying that tonight

thanks for the info. and yes, sorry for the error. I will take the time to read the forum rules which I should have done before. thanks again and I will be trying that tonight

I had this exact same problem (lead wire disconnect) happen to me way back when. I repaired/re-attached the wire--it worked for awhile--and then broke again. The leads are VERY thin/fragile. My advice: replace and don't repair (although that's probably not the answer you were looking for).
    Yamaha DSP-A1 Integrated Amp
    (4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps, Mills, and RDO-194 tweets (R/L F/R)
    (2) Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets (dual centers)
    B&O TX2 Turntable
    Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
    Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD
    Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-Ray/DVD
    LG LST-3410a OTA DVR
    Princeton AF3.0HD Monitor
    Optoma HD65 Projector

Stanton is right the leads are fragile. Repair can be performed with success though. I have a couple that have had the lead wires replaced which repaired the tweeters and have had very good success with them. The lead wires were replaced with 20awg insulated wire. Once done, the new lead wires can be painted black and are hardly noticeable. I can imagine trying to repair the old lead wire would probably not be permanent. sorry i forgot to be more detailed about how to repair in my first reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bubbles View Post
    Stanton is right the leads are fragile. Repair can be performed with success though. I have a couple that have had the lead wires replaced which repaired the tweeters and have had very good success with them. The lead wires were replaced with 20awg insulated wire. Once done, the new lead wires can be painted black and are hardly noticeable. I can imagine trying to repair the old lead wire would probably not be permanent. sorry i forgot to be more detailed about how to repair in my first reply.
    For the record, I did NOT replace the lead wire. Replacement may give you a longer-lasting repair if you can manage to do it without further damage. Good luck either way.
    Yamaha DSP-A1 Integrated Amp
    (4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps, Mills, and RDO-194 tweets (R/L F/R)
    (2) Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets (dual centers)
    B&O TX2 Turntable
    Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
    Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD
    Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-Ray/DVD
    LG LST-3410a OTA DVR
    Princeton AF3.0HD Monitor
    Optoma HD65 Projector

Thread Information