Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Default please talk me out of it

i have the usher r 1.5 150 watt power amp and am thinking about the plinius sa-50 mk3 50 watt class a power.
    the plinius is up for sale at $1600. should i go after it or be happy with what i have? speakers usher dancer mini 2 and usher cp-6381.

HELP
    Main system
    http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...pin&1162599347 Freelance reviewer for StereoMojo

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Get a grip on yourself marvda1. Don't you like your existing system ? Will you actually get $1600 more sound ?
    Home Theatre.............

Pioneer SC-35
    Polk RTi10's Fronts
    Polk CSiA6 Center
    RTi4 Surrounds
    SVS PB-12 Sub

2 Channel.............................

Yaqin MC-100B
    Energy RC-70 Speakers
    Arcam CD-192 Disc Player
    Van Den Hul Interconnects

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Jump....jump off that fence bro. Whats the worst that could happen ? You fall in a pile of dog do-do ? Then you re-sell,take a shower and start over.

Get it so I could listen to it with using your money
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables
    Office rig: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures

sheesh... i thought i was being the big spender finally getting a Peachtree DAC-it to A/B with my Bifrost.

can you pay your bills and feed your family, and have wiggle room for the unforeseen? good... then get it and write a review here. think of the great service you will be doing for your fellow Polkies.
    Polk RTA 11T ....new Xovers( Gen1 + Mundorf MOX), rewired, damped, Armacell, rings, spikes, RDO-194....
    B&K Ref. 200.2
    NAD 116
    Peachtree DAC-IT
    Morrow, Huffman cables
    AMD 8350 @ 4.8 Ghz.

Speaking of which, did you post a review yet or did I miss it somewhere ?

Jump, jump, jump...................
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.

I'll only talk you out of it if you "forget" that I have that Tubedac...

I'm heading down that way tomorrow and I'll be bringing it with me. Email me if you're not free for a bit and we can work something out. I'll be at the parent's house well into the night.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0967.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	81483Click image for larger version

Name:	th.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	5.4 KB
ID:	81484i would sell the usher and try to make the cost a wash..........dskip the plinius would still be my backup amp unless it just blows away the consonance cyber 800's

i am still burning in the dm2's and just upgraded my speaker cables to mg audio design planus 2. dskip, you can help me move the 6381's out and set up the dm2.
    Last edited by marvda1; 02-15-2013 at 10:47 AM.
    Main system
    http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...pin&1162599347 Freelance reviewer for StereoMojo

You need to get a life if all you have to do with your time is endlessly spend thousands of dollars that you most likely will NOT make up in resale of gear that if you were put in a room blindfolded you wouldn't be able to tell the difference! But it's your life and your money so knock yourself out.

As someone above said, if all your other expenses are taken care of and you are not in debt up to your eyeballs enjoy.
    Last edited by cfrizz; 02-15-2013 at 03:27 PM.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Member Sales Rating: (17)

a Class A 500 watt amp would be better!
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!

My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/

It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

cfrizz, then why in the hell did you spend all that money on the gear that you have? there's lots of cheaper equipment out there since YOU can't hear the difference in the dark
    Main system

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

I believe that cfrizz is suggesting that maybe one should amass the cash from sales of whatever equipment first and then, with money in the bank, do "whatever" strikes one's fancy! And I'm almost certain that that is the way she put "her" system together! Otherwise, your thread "Please talk me out of IT!" Is meaningless, no?

cnh
    Last edited by cnh; 02-15-2013 at 04:01 PM.
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Jump....jump off that fence bro. Whats the worst that could happen ? You fall in a pile of dog do-do ? Then you re-sell,take a shower and start over.
    I think Tony has it spot on.
    Main Family Room: Sony 46 LCD, Sony Blue Ray, Sony DVD/VCR combo,Onkyo TXNR 708, Parasound 5250,
    Polk SDS-SRS with mods, CSI 5 center + Klipsch SC2, Polk RT2000P rears, Klipsch KG 1.5's sides, Polk Micro Pro 1000, Polk Micro Pro 2000, Polk SW505, Belkin PF60, Signal Cable Classics,Monster IC's, 2 15 amp circuits & 1 20 amp circuit.

Living Room: Belkin PF60, Parasound HCA2200, MIT ProlineEXP balanced IC's,Emotiva XDA-1 DAC/Pre,Emotiva ERC2 transport,MIT AVT2, Polk LSI 9's.

what do you seek to improve on from your current usher r1.5 amp?

Quote Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
    You need to get a life if all you have to do with your time is endlessly spend thousands of dollars that you most likely will NOT make up in resale of gear that if you were put in a room blindfolded you wouldn't be able to tell the difference! But it's your life and your money so knock yourself out.

As someone above said, if all your other expenses are taken care of and you are not in debt up to your eyeballs enjoy.
    Condescending much? What a rude comment. You need to get a life if all you're going to do is come in here, stir the pot and leave your negative .02 cents. If you made good money wouldn't you want to spend it on you or you're family?

You should also replace all of your gear with a budget of $500 for EVERYTHING and see how far you get and if you can "tell the difference".

transparency and detail and maybe some more low end control with more mid range warmth.
    Main system

MORE,MORE MORE....Stop it will ya!..... Slap,Slap....Did I talk you out of it ? Isn't that what you wanted according to the Thread Title ? Or is there no Hope for ya !
    Home Theatre.............

Pioneer SC-35
    Polk RTi10's Fronts
    Polk CSiA6 Center
    RTi4 Surrounds
    SVS PB-12 Sub

2 Channel.............................

Yaqin MC-100B
    Energy RC-70 Speakers
    Arcam CD-192 Disc Player
    Van Den Hul Interconnects

Quote Originally Posted by marvda1 View Post
    transparency and detail and maybe some more low end control with more mid range warmth.
    when you found that amp for the md2, let me know!

cfrizz, then why in the hell did you spend all that money on the gear that you have? there's lots of cheaper equipment out there since YOU can't hear the difference in the dark
    In fairness to cfrizz, the title of the thread is "please talk me out of it", so it seems like she was just following your suggestion.

i am still burning in the dm2's and just upgraded my speaker cables to mg audio design planus 2. dskip, you can help me move the 6381's out and set up the dm2.
    Hmmm....quite a predicament. How are you gonna tell if the added "transparency and detail and maybe some more low end control with more mid range warmth" you're looking for, if realized, is from the new plinius or from the changes in the sound delivered by the dm2's as they continue to burn in, or from your new mg audio design planus 2 cables? I think you've got too many changes going on at once there to give an accurate appraisal of where any change in sound quality originated from.

If it were me, I'd first put those new mg audio design planus 2 cables on my cable cooker for a good long spell. Then, and only then, after I'd evaluated the overall system until it couldn't be evaluated anymore, would I proceed to stir things up more with the addition of a new plinius. At that point, I'd be reasonably certain that the addition of the new plinius sa-50 mk3 to my system could be properly evaluated as to whether it added $1600 worth of transparency and detail and maybe some more low end control with more mid range warmth...or not.

the speaker cables should be burned in as they were trade ups. the problem is the usher is not my main amp, that goes to the cyber 800 (tube). the usher is more or less a backup amp and by selling the usher i could just about pay for the plinius. now whether the plinius can dethrone the consonance is another question. maybe my thinking is off and i should be trying to replace the main amps instead of the backup amp.
    might have just talked myself out of it but now it's going to cost me more money a never ending battle
    Main system

Quote Originally Posted by nwohlford View Post
    In fairness to cfrizz, the title of the thread is "please talk me out of it", so it seems like she was just following your suggestion.
    I've bit my tongue until now. The issue is the wording. It comes across as a personal attack on Marvin. I had a response written out but chose to look the other way because Cathy is a good Polkie and I suspect she didn't mean it with the connotation that reply carries. Marvin was fair to respond the way he did and I'm hoping this just boils down to a poor choice of words.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Usher md 2 takes at least 100 hrs for the tweeter to settle in

I had a 'class A' Pass Labs amp and like the sound much better than A/B amps I've owned. You should like what you hear from Plinius.

Quote Originally Posted by larry777 View Post
    Get a grip on yourself marvda1. Don't you like your existing system ? Will you actually get $1600 more sound ?
    $1600 will buy one Shunyata Cobra Ztron power cord with $600 left over. I'm not sure what $1600 worth of sound is, but I love the end result of adding this cord from the wall to the power conditioner in the HT. It made the audio and the picture better. So, I say buy the gear. You get what you pay for.

ok, ok, i see the light. it makes more sense to save up to replace my main amp with something better than to drain money by upgrading the backup amp. oh well that's it for audio nervosa.
    Main system

ok, ok, i see the light. it makes more sense to save up to replace my main amp with something better than to drain money by upgrading the backup amp. oh well that's it for audio nervosa.
    You could always buy diamonds

At least then your cabinets wouldn't be "lying".

i forgot about that, cheaper too. you know how cheap i am saw you called twice, left the phone at home and went out to eat with the wifey and daugther. wish i could hear the Be and DMD side by side.
    Main system

He needs the entabulator!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_F-nLZrXcQ

Thread Information