Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Default Do I buy a 2nd SVS sub for my Lsi9's?

I've been using my Lsi9's with a SVS PB 12-NSD. At the advice of SVS tech support, I run the signal from my preamp to the subwoofer's crossovers then back to my amp for my monitors. To my ears, it does a pretty good job.
    My question is if I want to try dual subs, should I purchase a second PB 12NSD or should look at two other brands of dual subs?

your 2 cents will be appreciated .

emotiva xpa-2
    emotiva xpa-3
    Denon 3312ci
    Rtia9 /csia6 / FXi A6
    Samsung LN46A650
    SVS PB-12-NSD sub

Audio Research SP-9 MKIII (GNSC mods)
    W4S ST250
    Lsi 9 (mods)
    W4S DAC-2
    Mac Mini
    Audio Aero Prima CD player
    Pro-Ject debut

Member Sales Rating: (10)

If running 2 subs they should be the same IMO. Cheaper to buy another PB12 than to start over and buy 2 different subs, especially if you're happy with what you have.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Sure. Why not?
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Main HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse DVR | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office Rig: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Pro-ject Debut III | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse DVR | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Hey Ken, Dual subs would sound the same?
    Is this a bunch of b.s?
    http://www.svsound.com/why-go-dual/
    I would like to save some money and get another pb 12 only if it makes sense. If I should save my money and go with something else, I would rather do it the right way. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ken brydson View Post
    If running 2 subs they should be the same IMO. Cheaper to buy another PB12 than to start over and buy 2 different subs, especially if you're happy with what you have.

What I meant was if you are running 2 subs they should be the same. Mixing different ones can cause you problems. If you're happy with your PB12, get another one. Double the pleasure, double the fun as the gum commercial says.

If the subs are set up correctly, they should sound fairly close to the sound of a single sub. The biggest advantage to running 2 subs is you get, normally, a 6 dB gain. This increases your head room, and you can run the subs with lower power. In theory, if a sub does less work, it should last longer.

Of course bass heads just want more bass, which is another reason to buy a second sub.

The disadvantage is it can result in resonance, which is really bad. Of course you could also eliminate nulls, which is good.

ok ken, got it.

rpf65, I guess the only reason why I'm considering another sub is to address the nulls. If I had the extra cash, I might jump to the Lsim 705's or 707's. I figure dual subs and my lsi9's would give me a bigger and more detailed soundstage as more expensive towers such as the new series. Now i'm a little concerned by what you've said, I don't want to sound like a 16 year old with a trunk full of subwoofers. I do love strong bass and want to improve what I have.

Quote Originally Posted by rpf65 View Post
    If the subs are set up correctly, they should sound fairly close to the sound of a single sub. The biggest advantage to running 2 subs is you get, normally, a 6 dB gain. This increases your head room, and you can run the subs with lower power. In theory, if a sub does less work, it should last longer.

Of course bass heads just want more bass, which is another reason to buy a second sub.

The disadvantage is it can result in resonance, which is really bad. Of course you could also eliminate nulls, which is good.

Member Sales Rating: (31)

Bradley, just turn the gain down a little and it won't sound like a teenager's boom box. :D You are also correct that multiple subs biggest benefit is flatter bass response(less peaks and valleys). The extra gain or headroom is second.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Wow, White Papers and all Mike!
    makes sense, I do notice a bit of a drop off on one side of my room.

My room is 13' x 21' , with my current ported pb 12 NSD, the gain is turned up only about 25%.

As an alternative, would dual SB-1000's do the job ?
    http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/se...0#.UR8QO0Ko6fQ

To model boundary gain: http://audio.claub.net/software/jbabgy/BDBS.html

Yes, dual SB-1000s should get the job done.

Thanks, I'm going to try this out!

Quote Originally Posted by Face View Post
    To model boundary gain: http://audio.claub.net/software/jbabgy/BDBS.html

Yes, dual SB-1000s should get the job done.

If you're happy with how the pb12 sounds with the LSi9s you should add another. If you want to try something else and have the coin, I would say check out a servo sub from Rythmik. I'm running my LSi9s with a F15HP and I'm very happy with the setup. They also have DIY servo amp/driver kits if you're handy

I noticed your dual sub thread. I have dual sb 12 nsd subs with my lsi9's and I must say its quite an improvement with both subs running vs just one. Much smoother bass and yes it is louder, i do feel that the sound stage is also widened. I just want to say i purchased an older acurus a250 amplifier and if i would have known that this amplifier was going to make these lsi9s come to life as much as it did, i would have saved on the 2nd sub. Quite an improvement. The speakers are really coming to life, huge sound stage, cleaner sound, just a total win. For the money invested in this system I would say its hard to beat lsi9s with a good amplifier and 2 subs. Best of luck.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

If you are happy with your current sub, then get a second one and enjoy. No point in getting rid of something that you are already enjoying, unless you just want to try something new in which case have fun picking out new subs.
    Last edited by cfrizz; 02-16-2013 at 11:35 AM.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

I'm actually sharing my current sub between my ht and music rigs. In going with the dual subs for my music rig, I figure two sealed SB-1000's would be better suited for my monitors than adding a second PB-12NSD. I've read a lot of debate about sealed vs. ported for music. SVS tech support told me this is nonsense. They say the only thing that matters is that the frequency response is flat. I see the PB-12NSD does meet this criteria, so if that is the case, would dual subs for either model be the same in regards to music only? If this is the case, 1 new PB-12NSD would certainly be cheaper than two SB-1000's. I'm about to pull the trigger, so just trying to figure what are the better of the two options?

Quote Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
    If you are happy with your current sub, then get a second one and enjoy. No point in getting rid of something that you are already enjoying, unless you just want to try something new in which case have fun picking out new subs.

emotiva xpa-2
    emotiva xpa-3
    Denon 3312ci
    Rtia9 /csia6 / FXi A6
    Samsung LN46A650
    SVS PB-12-NSD sub

Audio Research SP-9 MKIII (GNSC mods)
    W4S ST250
    Lsi 9 (mods)
    W4S DAC-2
    Mac Mini
    Audio Aero Prima CD player
    Pro-Ject debut

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by bklynNupe View Post
    I'm actually sharing my current sub between my ht and music rigs. In going with the dual subs for my music rig, I figure two sealed SB-1000's would be better suited for my monitors than adding a second PB-12NSD. I've read a lot of debate about sealed vs. ported for music. SVS tech support told me this is nonsense. They say the only thing that matters is that the frequency response is flat. I see the PB-12NSD does meet this criteria, so if that is the case, would dual subs for either model be the same in regards to music only? If this is the case, 1 new PB-12NSD would certainly be cheaper than two SB-1000's. I'm about to pull the trigger, so just trying to figure what are the better of the two options?
    Since both meet the criteria then get the 2nd matching one. I think you will enjoy having two subs a great deal. I know I have better bass now that I have two subs. They don't match but the sound is better evenly balanced since they are on the opposite ends of my system.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Ported and sealed can both sound good. With sealed, EQ or boost is needed for the bottom end and is probably built into the amp. Ported are generally flat to the driver's resonance frequency. Sealed subs also have the advantage of being smaller. But if you're happy with the sound of your NSD, you could save money and just pick up a second one.

If you're happy with the current sub for both HT & music then by all means pick up another identical sub. The difference twin subs make is remarkable. If you have the room 4 subs is actually recommended for correct bass response in a room but twins will raise the bar for you nicely.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3010 AVR
    D>SONIC M2-600M mono's / mains
    Rotel RMB-1095 / 5 channel amp
    Rotel RMB-1075 / 5 channel amp
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds