Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 136
  1. #1

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    58

    Default LSi15 tweeter not working

    One of my monoblock amps (emotive UPA-1) decided to blow up and now the tweeter on one my lSi15's is no longer working. The speaker is under warranty but I was just curious about a couple things since I cant get in touch with polk over the weekend. It is only the tweeter, the rest of the drivers are working.

    1. Do you think it is likely the tweeter itself or the crossover?

    2. is there any sort of fuse that it could be?

    3. any idea if polk will send me a replacement tweeter as these things are a pain to ship/bring to a service center

  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (31)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    14,789

    Default

    Swap tweeters from one speaker to the other to determine if it's the driver or crossover.

    I believe this is the second time recently that an Emo amp had a malfunction and damaged Polk speakers...
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

  3. #3

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    chicago
    Posts
    17,045

    Default

    The amp just blew up ? How so ?

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    The amp just blew up ? How so ?
    By blew up I mean it smells like that nasty burning electronics smell and killed the tweeter on my lsi15 in the process

  5. #5

    Member Sales Rating: (13)

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Mars Hotel
    Posts
    31,227

    Default

    The speaker is under warranty
    You can't expect Polk to fix your speaker under warranty when the damage was caused by your amp. I mean, it's not like the speaker was defective.

    I believe this is the second time recently that an Emo amp had a malfunction and damaged Polk speakers...
    Yep, how 'bout that.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

  6. #6

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    You can't expect Polk to fix your speaker under warranty when the damage was caused by your amp. I mean, it's not like the speaker was defective.



    Yep, how 'bout that.
    well to be honest, while that's my theory there is no way to know for sure which one is the culprit, maybe something shorted inside of the speaker and then killed the amp

    edit: and on a side note, I cant believe these speakers are not fused
    Last edited by Blindsay; 02-16-2013 at 03:51 PM.

  7. #7

    Member Sales Rating: (13)

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Mars Hotel
    Posts
    31,227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blindsay View Post
    well to be honest, while that's my theory there is no way to know for sure which one is the culprit, maybe something shorted inside of the speaker and then killed the amp
    Not a snowballs chance in hell it was the speaker.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

  8. #8

    Member Sales Rating: (31)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    14,789

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blindsay View Post
    edit: and on a side note, I cant believe these speakers are not fused
    Only PA speakers are fused nowadays.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

  9. #9

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    Not a snowballs chance in hell it was the speaker.
    if the tweeter died/dropped out of the loop how would that effect the impedance of the speaker? would it cause it to drop even lower than 4 ohms?

    and to be quite frank you don't know what happened (and neither do I for sure) so that's a pretty bold statement

  10. #10

    Member Sales Rating: (13)

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Mars Hotel
    Posts
    31,227

    Default

    It's not a bold statement when one understands how these things work, which obviously you don't.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

  11. #11

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    It's not a bold statement when one understands how these things work, which obviously you don't.
    yes and im sure you will give me a million reason why you think you do.... if you are not going to be helpful why don't you just go bother someone else

  12. #12

    Member Sales Rating: (31)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    14,789

    Default

    Testing the speaker's binding posts with a LCR meter won't tell you what happened. Did you swap tweeters yet?
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

  13. #13

    Member Sales Rating: (13)

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Mars Hotel
    Posts
    31,227

    Default

    I am being helpful, it's just not what you want to hear. Good luck in life, you're going to need it.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

  14. #14

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Face View Post
    Testing the speaker's binding posts with a LCR meter won't tell you what happened. Did you swap tweeters yet?
    not yet, going to do that shortly, at least that will tell me if it is the tweeter itself or the crossover.

    Thanks

  15. #15

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    I am being helpful, it's just not what you want to hear. Good luck in life, you're going to need it.
    perhaps you should go look up the definition of helpful because I think you have it confused with useless. You have done nothing helpful in this thread.

  16. #16

    Member Sales Rating: (13)

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Mars Hotel
    Posts
    31,227

    Default

    You have done nothing helpful in this thread.
    Sure I did. I told you that you shouldn't expect Polk to fix your speaker under warranty because your amp caused the problem. Now, I could tell you how to remove the tweeter and the crossover and what to check, but because of your attitude, that isn't going to happen. All of that doesn't change the fact that your amp caused the damage, so deal with it.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

  17. #17

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    Sure I did. I told you that you shouldn't expect Polk to fix your speaker under warranty because your amp caused the problem. Now, I could tell you how to remove the tweeter and the crossover and what to check, but because of your attitude, that isn't going to happen. All of that doesn't change the fact that your amp caused the damage, so deal with it.
    gee well good thing I don't need you to tell me how to do any of that...

  18. #18
     Moderator 
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Polk Audio
    Posts
    3,843

    Default

    I've sent you a PM, Blindsay.

  19. #19

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    58

    Default

    small update: both the crossover and the tweeter are shot on the left channel

  20. #20
     Moderator 
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Polk Audio
    Posts
    3,843

    Default

    No problem, Polk will take care of you, you're in good hands (to borrow a phrase).

  21. #21

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    I'M BANNED,I'M NATIONWIDE
    Posts
    2,706

    Default

    Is Emotiva replacing the monoblock?
    They should cover the cost of the Polk damage as well since it was their equipment that fried it.

  22. #22

    Member Sales Rating: (31)

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    14,789

    Default

    If this thread was started at the Emotiva forum, his thread would probably be deleted. Although it wasn't their fault, it's nice of Polk for stepping to the plate and helping a guy out.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

  23. #23

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Face View Post
    If this thread was started at the Emotiva forum, his thread would probably be deleted. Although it wasn't their fault, it's nice of Polk for stepping to the plate and helping a guy out.
    well lets wait till I actually have the replacement parts haha

  24. #24

    Member Sales Rating: (13)

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Mars Hotel
    Posts
    31,227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Swauger View Post
    No problem, Polk will take care of you, you're in good hands (to borrow a phrase).
    I didn't want to tell him that because he'll think Polk is covering it under warranty when in fact Polk is doing what they always do, taking care of their customers. Wonder what emo will do.....
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

  25. #25

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    6,115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blindsay View Post
    By blew up I mean it smells like that nasty burning electronics smell and killed the tweeter on my lsi15 in the process
    Are these amps missing protection circuitry that will disconnect the amp at the slightest hint of trouble?

  26. #26

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    I didn't want to tell him that because he'll think Polk is covering it under warranty when in fact Polk is doing what they always do, taking care of their customers. Wonder what emo will do.....
    just go away dude, you are just causing problems
    Last edited by Blindsay; 02-16-2013 at 11:41 PM.

  27. #27

    Member Sales Rating: (13)

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Mars Hotel
    Posts
    31,227

    Default

    Telling it like it is, is not a problem. Your amp damaged your speaker and thinking the speaker should be fixed under warranty regardless of the reason is a problem, your problem.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

  28. #28

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    Telling it like it is, is not a problem. Your amp damaged your speaker and thinking the speaker should be fixed under warranty regardless of the reason is a problem, your problem.
    you admit in your post that what you told me from the very beginning is not correct, and to be honest its not even your call so go bother someone else and further it is going to get fixed so your argument is stupid anyways

  29. #29

    Member Sales Rating: (13)

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Mars Hotel
    Posts
    31,227

    Default

    Your reading comprehension is as bad as your understanding of a warranty. You're expecting Polk to fix your speaker under warranty and I told you you should not expect that since your amp caused the damage. If Polk repairs your speaker it is not because it's under warranty, it's because they choose to. There is a big difference. Therefore, I put forth that it is not my comments on the subject matter that are stupid. What is stupid is your expectation that your speaker should be repaired for free solely because it's under warranty.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

  30. #30

    Member Sales Rating: (13)

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Mars Hotel
    Posts
    31,227

    Default

    This is Polk's warranty....

    This warranty does not include service or parts to repair damage caused by accident, disaster, misuse, abuse, negligence, inadequate packing or shipping procedures, commercial use, voltage inputs in excess of the rated maximum of the unit, cosmetic appearance of cabinetry not directly attributable to defect in materials or workmanship, or service, repair, or modification of the Product which has not been authorized or approved by Polk Audio. This warranty shall terminate if the Serial number on the Product has been removed, tampered with or defaced.
    Since your amp sent excessive DC voltage to your speaker the part in bold would apply to your situation.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. lsi 15 tweeter not working
    By slammerag03 in forum Troubleshooting
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-11-2010, 09:42 AM
  2. LSI 9 tweeter not working
    By Shell in forum Troubleshooting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-12-2009, 12:31 AM
  3. Need Help CSi A6 tweeter not working
    By SmosRTiA9s in forum Speakers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-29-2009, 11:40 AM
  4. Need Help SDA 1 Tweeter not working
    By derek_murray in forum Troubleshooting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-05-2008, 01:15 PM
  5. Help with non working tweeter in rt-8
    By Orange_Crush in forum Troubleshooting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-04-2007, 11:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts