Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Possibly looking like some of the caps might be shot as well.

having trouble getting a reading on a lot of the caps, so either they are all dead or my method of testing is flawed. I just have my multimeter in open/short mode and it beeps if there is a "short" but the caps im having trouble with

Member Sales Rating: (13)

I'm wondering if there isn't a short inside your amp that isn't shorting out right now.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

The caps you should test off the board and you want to test the uF value.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    I'm wondering if there isn't a short inside your amp that isn't shorting out right now.
    I hope not, its going to suck if I get this all fixed and it blows up again :/

The caps you should test off the board and you want to test the uF value.
    damn, the multimeter is fairly basic and can only test things like voltage, resistance and amperage. I was hoping I could measure the resistance of the cap to indicate at least if its making a connection or now.

Thanks for the help by the way, I know a new crossover is on the way but I am just curious what died exactly on this one

The caps won't measure a short unless defective,so they are likely fine unless there are signs of physical damage to them.If the resistor measures open circuit that's why your tweeter is not working.I would also suggest removing and disconnecting the tweeter and check the DC resistance across it's voicecoil leads.If it also measures open then it's also toast.
    Last edited by FTGV; 02-26-2013 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FTGV View Post
    The caps won't measure a short unless defective,so they are likely fine unless there are signs of physical damage to them.If the resistor measures open cicuit that's why your tweeter is not working.I would also suggest removing and disconnecting the tweeter and check the DC resistance across it's voicecoil leads.If it also measures open then it also toast.
    I did check for resistance across the tweeters voicecoil leads, it measured open.

I tested all the resistors and the only one that's open (bad) is the one for the tweeter.

I tested the coil things (I don't remember what they are called lol) and they tested short.

the yellow capacitors I couldn't get to test, but a couple of the black ones did test "short"

based on that I imagine I have some bad caps, or what else could it be?

Quote Originally Posted by Blindsay View Post
    I did check for resistance across the tweeters voicecoil leads, it measured open.

I tested all the resistors and the only one that's open (bad) is the one for the tweeter.

I tested the coil things (I don't remember what they are called lol) and they tested short.

the yellow capacitors I couldn't get to test, but a couple of the black ones did test "short"

based on that I imagine I have some bad caps, or what else could it be?
    OK looks like you have atleast a resistor and tweeter failure.The inductors will measure a short since they are just coils of wire.The bigger caps may initially measure as short but after they start to charge will not if you leave the meter on them for a bit.

IIRC, the drivers all worked, so the rest of your board components are ok.

What I would be concerned about is what took out the resistor and tweeter. That answer has to be in the amp.

IIRC, the drivers all worked, so the rest of your board components are ok.

What I would be concerned about is what took out the resistor and tweeter. That answer has to be in the amp.
    yeah they sure didn't blow up on their own lol, which is why it concerns me that emotiva says the amp is ok

Member Sales Rating: (1)

which is why it concerns me that emotiva says the amp is ok
    That's Emotiva's response to the problem.

Polk's response ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Swauger
    No problem, Polk will take care of you, you're in good hands
    Blindsay, I hope you can see the difference.

And, as a thought, when you get your Emotiva back that is ok, pop the hood and have a look-see under the hood. Will you see any components that have been changed ? I have my opinion, but do that. Pop the hood.
    That will, IMO, also tell you a lot.

I agree when you get the amp back check for replaced parts, did you write the serial # down to check if they send you a replaced unit.
    I'm sure Emotiva will have put the amp through a proper set of tests to check for shorts and or other issues, but if it shows nothing then what to do.?
    Are you sure your not leaving something out that maybe you forgot, like we're you playing the speakers very loud just before turning them off, and when you turned them back on this happened?
    How often have we heard this story about, well it was working last time I turned it on..
    From what I have read the UPA's do not have a known flaw, but the Polk resistor is a known flaw.
    I'm not saying that is the cause and or could do the rest of the damage as well, but it has to be something.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbigbluelight View Post
    That's Emotiva's response to the problem.

Polk's response ?

Blindsay, I hope you can see the difference.

And, as a thought, when you get your Emotiva back that is ok, pop the hood and have a look-see under the hood. Will you see any components that have been changed ? I have my opinion, but do that. Pop the hood.
    That will, IMO, also tell you a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhayman View Post
    I agree when you get the amp back check for replaced parts, did you write the serial # down to check if they send you a replaced unit.
    I'm sure Emotiva will have put the amp through a proper set of tests to check for shorts and or other issues, but if it shows nothing then what to do.?
    Are you sure your not leaving something out that maybe you forgot, like we're you playing the speakers very loud just before turning them off, and when you turned them back on this happened?
    How often have we heard this story about, well it was working last time I turned it on..
    From what I have read the UPA's do not have a known flaw, but the Polk resistor is a known flaw.
    I'm not saying that is the cause and or could do the rest of the damage as well, but it has to be something.
    I do have the serial number recorded, but I imagine they would repair it, the parts inside the amp seem pretty modular.

I know everyones first instinct is that I played it too loudly but I promise that's not the case, I live in an apartment with cranky neighbors so I cant turn it up very loud. Heck the night before when I had the amps hooked up and working it was so late I had them quieter than even on just the onkyo. It was really just to power them on and make sure they were working. The next day when I went to power the amp on as soon as it clicked on then it all went to heck.

As far as trying the amps out to make sure they are ok. I don't really have any speakers to guinea pig but I do have a pair of Cerwin Vega LS-12's that have a fused input so they might be more likely to surive if something goes wrong, unless you guys have any ideas how I could test each amp to make sure they are not a time bomb waiting for me to just power them on

is there any conceivable way that the resistor blowing could take out the tweeter with it? Emotiva still suggests the amp is fine

is there any conceivable way that the resistor blowing could take out the tweeter with it? Emotiva still suggests the amp is fine
    It's likey the excessive current that nuked the resistor also fried the tweeter .

While they surreptitiously fix it. Or not.

The blown resistor in the crossover is not in itself indicative of an amp failure,but the smoke emitted certainly indicates some component(s)(resistor in the output section?) was stressed beyond it's rating,if only briefly not causing fatal failure.
    Last edited by FTGV; 02-27-2013 at 05:49 PM.

Just curious Bluefox Emo must have acted this way before by the accusation you just hurled..?
    FYI at the bottom of this page are 5 different threads pertaining to non working tweeters..hummm..

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    While they surreptitiously fix it. Or not.

Just curious Bluefox Emo must have acted this way before by the accusation you just hurled..?
    FYI at the bottom of this page are 5 different threads pertaining to non working tweeters..hummm..
    That's because the function of the "Similar Threads" box is to show...ahem...similar threads. If you will notice the dates posted, they have been over several years time and will likely find similar questions crop up from time to time on every manufacturer's forums.
    "Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    I may have an addiction... RTA-15TL, SDA 2, LSi25, LSi15, LSi9, LSi7, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LS/FX, RT/FX, DSW MP2000...and that's just the Polks...

Quote Originally Posted by FTGV View Post
    The blown resistor in the crossover is not in itself indicative of an amp failure,but the smoke emitted certainly indicates some component(s)(resistor in the output section?) was stressed beyond it's rating,if only briefly not causing fatal failure.
    maybe I was quick enough in shutting the amp off before it caused permanent damage /shrug

Not in any way pointing the finger at Emotiva, but the LSi series is also sold at Fry's where I assume many ignorant customers buy them and power them off electronics that can't handle them. Just saying.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

I did not notice the dates..nor did I look for them.
    Agreed All manufactures have a Trouble Shooting Forum.
    I was just curious as to why Bluefox would think that Emo would Secretly/ Decieve their customer and fix it, they are not immune to failure nor is any other company.

Quote Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
    That's because the function of the "Similar Threads" box is to show...ahem...similar threads. If you will notice the dates posted, they have been over several years time and will likely find similar questions crop up from time to time on every manufacturer's forums.

...would think that Emo would Secretly/ Decieve their customer and fix it...
    Suggesting such is unfair and malicious IMO.

I was just curious as to why Bluefox would think that Emo would Secretly/ Decieve their customer and fix it,...
    To avoid confusion this is what I should have quoted.

Thank You FTGV

I was just curious as to why Bluefox would think that Emo would Secretly/ Decieve their customer and fix it, they are not immune to failure nor is any other company.
    For the same reason they remove posts/threads concerning problems or criticism of their products from their forum.

Regardless of what they might have done in the past or not, they most certainly do not do that now as there are multiple threads about problems and criticisms on the forums.
    Why are you defending such a blanket statement like that, when you know it was wrong to post.
    For the same reason they remove posts/threads concerning problems or criticism of their products from their forum.

It's a well known fact.

Are you really as dense as your posting suggests? What accusation? Do you not understand English?

It's a well known fact.
    That they are deceptive regarding repairs or scrutinzing their fourm?

Thread Information