Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default TurnTable Phono Questions.

Hello,
    While listening to music using my turntable I notice that the gain isn't nearly as high as a CD player,iPod, or Sonos.
    My turntable has the option to switch from line level or phono. If I use the Phono option and I put a phono preamp in line will I then have the ability to increase the gain on the turntable?

Im asking because the volume is just so much lower then all my other sources.

Rotel RC-1550 (PREAMP)
    Rotel RB-1070 (AMP)
    AudioTechnica AT-LP240-USB (TT)
    B&W CM9

Thanks,
    RamZet

This is normal. Turntables have a very low output voltage. Phono inputs on receivers, integrateds, or a phono pre are designed to take this lower than normal signal and increase it significantly more than saw a normal aux line level input to bring the end result closer together. I'd guess most of the time you will get 70-75% of the sound level from the phono input as other inputs. Don't be afraid to turn the volumne up to compensate as long as you are not getting to a clipping level. Some cartridges have a higher normal output than others and you may have to experiment to find what works best in your system.

DO NOT switch your turntable to a line out and then connect to the phono input on your preamp. This will end badly. You can find some phono pre's that have an adjustable gain control. With this you have the ability to bump up the output somewhat but you still need to be careful not to over do it and clip the signal. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by TNHNDYMAN View Post
    This is normal. Turntables have a very low output voltage. Phono inputs on receivers, integrateds, or a phono pre are designed to take this lower than normal signal and increase it significantly more than saw a normal aux line level input to bring the end result closer together. I'd guess most of the time you will get 70-75% of the sound level from the phono input as other inputs. Don't be afraid to turn the volumne up to compensate as long as you are not getting to a clipping level. Some cartridges have a higher normal output than others and you may have to experiment to find what works best in your system.

DO NOT switch your turntable to a line out and then connect to the phono input on your preamp. This will end badly. You can find some phono pre's that have an adjustable gain control. With this you have the ability to bump up the output somewhat but you still need to be careful not to over do it and clip the signal. Hope this helps.
    This is great, thanks for the info.

Member Sales Rating: (8)

At a comfortable distance.... gaining perspective

Try running the line level outputs into the AUX. inputs on your pre, see if you get more decibels going that route.

Quote Originally Posted by gdb View Post
    Try running the line level outputs into the AUX. inputs on your pre, see if you get more decibels going that route.
    This is how I have it.
    The Aux 3.5mm input on the face of the PreAmp and the RCA input on the rear share the same source select name. The inputs will toggle when you plug something into the 3.5mm input in the face of the unit.

Im going to try the phono options in the morning and see what it does for me.

Quote Originally Posted by RamZet View Post
    This is how I have it.
    The Aux 3.5mm input on the face of the PreAmp and the RCA input on the rear share the same source select name. The inputs will toggle when you plug something into the 3.5mm input in the face of the unit.

Im going to try the phono options in the morning and see what it does for me.
    If its not to your liking running it that way you can always buy a dedicated phono pre-amp like a Pro-Ject Phono Box S very reasonable prices, they give you better gain options and cartriage settings.

Member Sales Rating: (9)

Quote Originally Posted by Jhayman View Post
    If its not to your liking running it that way you can always buy a dedicated phono pre-amp like a Pro-Ject Phono Box S very reasonable prices, they give you better gain options and cartriage settings.
    Yes, most of your "built-in" phono stages are a "fixed" input with no adjustability to accommodate a different variety of cartridges. A good separate stage will give you a lot of options for cartridge loading and provide more gain. I just picked up a dedicated phono pre, and it has made a night/day difference.
    SDA CRS+4.1TL's/Modded SDA 1C's/Modded SDA SRS 3.1 TL's/Modded SDA SRS 2.3TL

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reeter View Post
    I just picked up a dedicated phono pre, and it has made a night/day difference.
    I did the same and am very happy.

To the OP...I was worried as well when I first hooked my TT up to my reciver a couple years ago. I had to turn the volume up much more than I did with the other inputs. I eventually learned not to worry too much about it and just turn it up to the level I was comfortable listening to. Just remember to turn it back down before switching inputs.

The dedicated phono pre I just got has a ton of options and a separate gain control, and while not completely necessary, I like the control I now have.
    2-channel
    Sources: Pro-ject 2.9 wood Grado Gold cartridge; Squeezebox Duet; Oppo BDP-83
    Amps: PS Audio GCPH; PS Audio DLIII(Cullen mods IV); Parasound Halo P3; B & K Reference 200.2
    Speakers: Polk - LSi15's(db sub mod)

HT
    Amps: Sony - STR-DG1000; Outlaw 200 Mono; Speakers: Polk - CS2, Monitor 70's, RC80i's; Video: Optoma HD20; FAVI HD-100

Man Cave (In Progress)
    Sources: Sony PS-LX410, Denon 3910; Amps: Dared sl2000a, HK 3490, Simaudio Moon LP3; Speakers: Polk - SDA 2A's

Thread Information