Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HT/Stereo

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default HT/Stereo

Okay, so i believe my complete system should be located on my sig. I recently Purchased a sonos to upgrade my Stereo end. I did notice a good bump in sound quality. I still find myself unsatisfied. So im thinking of making my next upgrade into a pair of mains. Now i know this is a polk forum, But i would appreciate an honest response about Polk or other brands in the price range. Maybe dedicating a 2 channel amp to better power my M70's ? I'm Just unsure of the next step to take.

Help Please
    Monitor 70 Mains, Monitor 40 Surrounds, CS2 Center Channel, PSW 125 Sub, Carver M4.0t, Carver 705X 5 channel amp, Sunfire Theater Grand II Processor, PS3 250 gig, 60'' LED Sharp tv, Xbox 360 Slim

2 Channel Rig: Genesis 210, kenwood mono amps, BSR eq, Sonos Connect/Bridge. Pre amp pending.

Maybe some better wiring? Post connectors? Anything small or big would be appreciated.
    Monitor 70 Mains, Monitor 40 Surrounds, CS2 Center Channel, PSW 125 Sub, Carver M4.0t, Carver 705X 5 channel amp, Sunfire Theater Grand II Processor, PS3 250 gig, 60'' LED Sharp tv, Xbox 360 Slim

2 Channel Rig: Genesis 210, kenwood mono amps, BSR eq, Sonos Connect/Bridge. Pre amp pending.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

First thing, get rid of the EQ. That will help clean up the signal a bit.

As for the speakers, yours are entry level, so a move up the ladder would be logical.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Oh i need to take that out. I actually unhooked that about a year ago.

I think the fairly universal sentiment for your situation would be to replace your speakers.

You asked for recommendations in "the price range." but didn't say what that price range was.
    2-channel
    Sources: Pro-ject 2.9 wood Grado Gold cartridge; Squeezebox Duet; Oppo BDP-83
    Amps: PS Audio GCPH; PS Audio DLIII(Cullen mods IV); Parasound Halo P3; B & K Reference 200.2
    Speakers: Polk - LSi15's(db sub mod)

HT
    Amps: Sony - STR-DG1000; Outlaw 200 Mono; Speakers: Polk - CS2, Monitor 70's, RC80i's; Video: Optoma HD20; FAVI HD-100

Man Cave (In Progress)
    Sources: Sony PS-LX410, Denon 3910; Amps: Dared sl2000a, HK 3490, Simaudio Moon LP3; Speakers: Polk - SDA 2A's

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Maybe you just don't like the sound of Polk Monitors? What do you find "missing"? I can tell you that M-70s, in particular, do open up quite a bit with 200 or more watts per channel of high current amplification!

Otherwise, yeah, move up the ladder. Listen to other models, brands, etc. What kind of "sound" do you favor? Some more info would help!

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    Maybe you just don't like the sound of Polk Monitors? What do you find "missing"? I can tell you that M-70s, in particular, do open up quite a bit with 200 or more watts per channel of high current amplification!

Otherwise, yeah, move up the ladder. Listen to other models, brands, etc. What kind of "sound" do you favor? Some more info would help!

cnh
    That is something i had considered. I thought maybe the M70's could be a little under powered. I was poking around at getting a dedicated amp for just the m70's Any thoughts there? And also my speaker price range i would like to stay under a grand for the pair. Kinda on a tight budget.

If you aren't scared of going used, there can be some very nice speakers in the $1k price bracket. For instance, I was able to snag my Ushers for well under that price and they do so much so well. I'd advise you to spend some time getting to know different house sounds and go from there. You've got a nice little system going so there isn't a need to rush into this purchase. See if there are any hifi shops in your area that carry boutique brands that can't be found at BB.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    If you aren't scared of going used, there can be some very nice speakers in the $1k price bracket. For instance, I was able to snag my Ushers for well under that price and they do so much so well. I'd advise you to spend some time getting to know different house sounds and go from there. You've got a nice little system going so there isn't a need to rush into this purchase. See if there are any hifi shops in your area that carry boutique brands that can't be found at BB.
    Good advice, Thank you. May try for some used stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    First thing, get rid of the EQ. That will help clean up the signal a bit.

As for the speakers, yours are entry level, so a move up the ladder would be logical.
    Yes, get rid of the EQ for 2 channel listening. to me, EQ is only good for subwoofers.
    Processor - Emotiva UMC-200
    Pre-Amp (2 Ch) - Emotiva USP-1
    DAC (2 Ch) - Emotiva XDA-2
    Amp (Fronts) - Emotiva XPA-2
    Amp (Center/Surrounds) - Emotiva XPA-3
    CD - Emotiva ERC-1
    Fronts - Polk Audio RTi 10
    Center - Polk Audio CSi5
    Rears - Polk Audio RTiA1
    Sub - Epik Knight
    Sub EQ - Velodyne SMS-1
    Monitor - Samsung HP-T5054
    Blu-Ray - OPPO BDP-103
    Network Media Player - Roku
    Power Conditioner - APC H15
    Power Conditioner - Emotiva CMX-2
    PVR - DirecTV HR44-500
    Remote - Harmony Touch

Many people I have spoken to and have heard myself claim for the Vandesteen 2ce sigs are dollar for dollar the best all around speaker. Of course it's all subjective but I wouldn't mind owning them and they are under a grand used .

Thread Information