Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default bothering me about SDA crs

A few weeks ago I asked you guys to evealuate a Pair of SDA-CRS and at $250 most said see if he will come down some and @ $200 go for them depending on condition. Do to graduations and other financial hassels I never reached out to the guy . Now I'm cruising E-Bay and 2 different styles are coming up. I believe there is a 1 tweeter model w/o IC cord not mentioned and more than likely does not exsistand also 1 grill cover is missing.
    The 2nd pair looks much better w/ 2 tweeters better cabinets and clearly states the IC cord is there.This is also listing for the same $250 as the 1st incomplete set. Another thing thing that just might not work for me if I ever have all the stars aligned w/$ and availability. It seems these speakers are always displayed as large bookenders or always presented as laying down horizontally. Can these be turned to the vertical which could only work in my place .This is why you see me go after floorstanders forthe most part.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/POLK-AUDIO-S...3#ht_38wt_1170

http://www.ebay.com/itm/POLK-AUDIO-S...3#ht_38wt_1170

Member Sales Rating: (16)

They can not be turned vertical for the SDA to work. I have always prefered the more balanced and realistic sound of single tweeter CRS+'s. The additional tweeter is in the dimensional circuit and much prefer it without.

CRS+'s have better mod potential and are the latest revision. If you can't reasonably accommodate the proper set-up of SDA's it's best to just pass completely and look for a conventional speaker. It does absolutely no good to own SDA's and then not have them properly placed.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Can these be turned to the vertical
    Hell no!

The version with two tweeters are the original CRS with the blade/blade SDA cable. The second tweeter is part of the SDA circuit, which Polk later found wasn't needed. Many, including myself find that the SDA tweeter imparts an undesirable phasey effect. The later version with one tweeter is the CRS+ with the pin/blade SDA cable and IMO is the better speaker. The CRS+ version can also have the TL mod done to them, which further improves the sound quality.

Price will vary with the model, condition and location. If they come with the original stands add more money and add even more money if the CRS+ version comes with the AI-1 cable.

IMO, $250.00 is stupid cheap for a pair of CRS+ in good condition. Minus the SDA cable and one grill, I wouldn't touch them.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (6)

^^What Brock and Jesse said!^^

Member Sales Rating: (1)

What Brock, Jesse, and Dawg said.....

Once again
    for your reading and learning pleasure
    the SDA Handbook.

vr3mods.com/uploads/SDA_Handbook_2011_Rev2.pdf‎

Your lucky we saw this it should be in the Vintage Speakers thread

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    Hell no!

The version with two tweeters are the original CRS with the blade/blade SDA cable. The second tweeter is part of the SDA circuit, which Polk later found wasn't needed. Many, including myself find that the SDA tweeter imparts an undesirable phasey effect. The later version with one tweeter is the CRS+ with the pin/blade SDA cable and IMO is the better speaker. The CRS+ version can also have the TL mod done to them, which further improves the sound quality.

Price will vary with the model, condition and location. If they come with the original stands add more money and add even more money if the CRS+ version comes with the AI-1 cable.

IMO, $250.00 is stupid cheap for a pair of CRS+ in good condition. Minus the SDA cable and one grill, I wouldn't touch them.

Member Sales Rating: (14)

As others have said, find a good pair of CRS+'s, not the original 2-tweeter CRS. Then mod them to your heart's content and you have a pair of speakers for life.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

Hold out for a pair of CRS+s as others have stated. I found 2 pair for $125 without the pin blade cable but got a couple off forum members, the best part, I found a pair of stands off the forum ( thanks Neil ) I just need to upgrade them. I say keep on looking a pair will show up.

I will never sell my crs+ for any reason other than I might die if I don't. That's even before I modded them.

Trey did my crossovers and now they sound better than anything else I've ever listened to and don't be fooled by the size. They sound good with a regular amp but they will shine if you beef it up and add some high current amp to them.

What I did was to upgrade just the tweeters to rdo194 and then after being amazed went for the rest of the upgrades. you will be amazed too, get the crs+, avoid the double tweeters for sure. If you find a pair without the cable don't worry, use that to adjust the price and make your own which you will more than likely want to do anyway. It's silly easy and silly cheap and has a profound improvement over the stock cable.

Polk Audio SDA CRS+ (4.1TL by Trey, Larry's Rings)-
    SDA SRS2-Parasound HCA1500ax2/1000
    Yamaha xa1000-Celestion SL6S presence,- sl9 surround back
    NHTsuper1's surround
    Nad2700-sub, AdcomGFA-555 -Magnepan SMG
    Parasound 1500pre- Sofia "Baby" tube amp - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
    Marantz 2230/B&Kst140- outdoor B&W/Bose/Parasound/KefC75/c40/Polksub
    Technics 1200mk2
    Gamertag: IslandBerserker
    I am but a infinitesimally small point meeting the line of infinity in the SDA universe

Quote Originally Posted by evhudsons View Post
    What I did was to upgrade just the tweeters to rdo194 and then after being amazed went for the rest of the upgrades. you will be amazed too, get the crs+, avoid the double tweeters for sure. If you find a pair without the cable don't worry, use that to adjust the price and make your own which you will more than likely want to do anyway. It's silly easy and silly cheap and has a profound improvement over the stock cable.
    Did you keep the 194's? Or did you do the TL mod and get 198's when Trey did the XO's? From the sound of your post, you changed the tweeters and modded the crossover, but did not do the TL mod and use 198's, which would be rather strange....
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

I did the full on tl upgrade with rdo198's. I gave my "old" rdo 194's to a friend who had picked up a pair of 1c's. So what I was saying is that I first did the rdo upgrade, liked it and then did the tl upgrade. Instead of selling the rdo 194's I karma'd them to my friend.

I can see how my post was confusing.

right now I have a pair of srs2's that I will do the tl mod to as well but am running with the rdo194's. Once I have the time and $ I will do the tl mod and sell the rdo194's.

Polk Audio SDA CRS+ (4.1TL by Trey, Larry's Rings)-
    SDA SRS2-Parasound HCA1500ax2/1000
    Yamaha xa1000-Celestion SL6S presence,- sl9 surround back
    NHTsuper1's surround
    Nad2700-sub, AdcomGFA-555 -Magnepan SMG
    Parasound 1500pre- Sofia "Baby" tube amp - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
    Marantz 2230/B&Kst140- outdoor B&W/Bose/Parasound/KefC75/c40/Polksub
    Technics 1200mk2
    Gamertag: IslandBerserker
    I am but a infinitesimally small point meeting the line of infinity in the SDA universe

Got it. That makes a lot more sense!

And don't forget to mention the killer speaker stands you have your 4.1TL's on!

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Quote Originally Posted by leftwinger57 View Post
    Can these be turned to the vertical which could only work in my place? This is why you see me go after floorstanders for the most part.
    If correctly oriented CRS speakers do not fit in your spaces, there is no need to hold out for them as suggested above. Find a good pair of speakers that fit your space and move on!

Going on the vintage product page it seems these CRS are a type of center channel speaker .That's what they're calling them and are on the horizontal.As been advised by all of you that's the way they are to be and work the best. It can't in my apts. footprint. What does work would be SDA 2A.Not all that big comparing them w/ the others and still get that desired effect that is so sought after.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Going on the vintage product page it seems these CRS are a type of center channel speaker.
    That's pretty misleading as they were designed as 2 channel stereo speakers. There is one dedicated left and one dedicated right channel speaker per pair.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

That makes much more sense. But there it was. What I need is a glossary of all the abreveations and decimal points and mods. I have no idea what you dudes are talking about .This is why just for ease of marketing I think it's easier to call a speaker a KLF 20 or Chorus or Heresey.With DCM Time Frame 250,350, 500 ect. Time Window1,1a 3,JBL Century series L-1OO, Ohm/Walsh 2s 2xo, 4s and Fs and everybody's favorite Bose 201, 501, 601, 901s real easy stuff to remmeber.Like what's a TL?

Thread Information