Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Default Just jumped over the vinyl cliff

I bought a Thorens TD-166 from Frank last summer, and have been building my vinyl collection back up after a 24-year sabbatical. It's a great turntable, I love what I'm hearing. But I'm ready to make a more serious commitment to vinyl, so have been researching deck/cartridge combos at higher price point. I just ordered myself a VPI Traveler with a Grado Sonata cartridge. Cannot wait to get it!
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by nspindel View Post
    I bought a Thorens TD-166 from Frank last summer, and have been building my vinyl collection back up after a 24-year sabbatical. It's a great turntable, I love what I'm hearing. But I'm ready to make a more serious commitment to vinyl, so have been researching deck/cartridge combos at higher price point. I just ordered myself a VPI Traveler with a Grado Sonata cartridge. Cannot wait to get it!
    If you didnt already know, you just found the bottomless hole.
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Main HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse DVR | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office Rig: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Pro-ject Debut III | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse DVR | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Yep.....
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

Member Sales Rating: (9)

The Traveler and Sonata should make a very good combo. I jumped in a while back and picked up a VPI Classic 1 and a Soundsmith Zephyr cartridge. You're in for a treat.
    SDA CRS+4.1TL's/Modded SDA 1C's/Modded SDA SRS 3.1 TL's/Modded SDA SRS 2.3TL

Congrats!!!
    2-channel
    Sources: Pro-ject 2.9 wood Grado Gold cartridge; Squeezebox Duet; Oppo BDP-83
    Amps: PS Audio GCPH; PS Audio DLIII(Cullen mods IV); Parasound Halo P3; B & K Reference 200.2
    Speakers: Polk - LSi15's(db sub mod)

HT
    Amps: Sony - STR-DG1000; Outlaw 200 Mono; Speakers: Polk - CS2, Monitor 70's, RC80i's; Video: Optoma HD20; FAVI HD-100

Man Cave (In Progress)
    Sources: Sony PS-LX410, Denon 3910; Amps: Dared sl2000a, HK 3490, Simaudio Moon LP3; Speakers: Polk - SDA 2A's

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Well, there goes the retirement money!

Have fun!

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Member Sales Rating: (17)

Thats a cool table, congrats!
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D

Member Sales Rating: (22)

Directly over the center of the earth in Olathe Kansas

Congrats Neil, being the digital guy you are I am surprised. They can be fun. What are you doing to clean your vinyl?
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs

Ofc: Wright WLA12 preamp: Anthem Amp 1: Pio Elite DV-79AVI: Airport Express: CAL Sigma II DAC: PA LS90 sonicaps and mills

Member Sales Rating: (2)

The TD-166 is a fine tt with a very good arm; great for low(er) compliance cartridges - which are none too common in current production.
    all the best,
    mrh

Congratulations,enjoy your TT.I have been trying to resist.
    Dan

I'm with you on the 24 years. 88 was really the last year i actively used vinyl as one of my primary listening mediums. Only recently did I rediscover how unique and pleasing its sound can be with the right setup.

I own a Traveler and love it, one thing to keep in mind with the Traveler is the bearings in the gimbaled tonearm assembly - treat them very carefully. I actually had to return the first Traveler I bought because the bearing pins had walked out of the threads that held them in place resulting in a detached tonearm (this was right out of the box, never even got to set it up). VPI has addressed this issue by lengthening the bearing pins in later versions of the table (the ones with the Traveler name silk screened on top of the plinth). I have not had any problems with the second table, the Traveler and Pro-Ject Tube Box DS phono pre has really convinced me that vinyl sounds better then CD's.
    2-Channel System
    Analog: VPI Traveler TT, Ortofon 2M Blue, Pro-Ject Tube Box DS
    CD Player: Jolida JD-100 Preamp: Cambridge 840E Amp: Odyssey Kismet Stereo
    Spkrs: Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature Systems

Congrats! Love the vinyl!

Check out Music Hall products...good line for any budget...as for vinyl...I've had that habit for longer than I'd like to admit!

Quote Originally Posted by thsmith View Post
    Congrats Neil, being the digital guy you are I am surprised. They can be fun. What are you doing to clean your vinyl?
    I've got a vpi 16.5, which I'm using with a Shark steam cleaner and the mofi solutions/brushes. Nice and clean vinyl, makes all the difference in the world!

Thread Information