Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Audio Delay when changing Audio Formats

Hey Guys,

This is my first system everything going well so far but had an issue was hoping to get some feedback.

On one of my inputs I have my media PC navigating through the menus I have the audio set to come out of my center and towers but once I select a movie or tv show the video plays and the audio switches to dts or dolby. The issue is when it switches from one audio format to another it cuts out the audio for about 2-3 seconds so it can recognize the format is there anyway to delay the video until the audio has been properly recognized by the receiver?

I hope this makes sense let me know if I need to be more specific any help would be appreciated.

Receiver is Onkyo TX-NR809.

Not that I know of. My onkyo 705 and 717 both due this as well. You can probably set your player to output pcm instead of bitstream so your receiver stays on multi-channel and wont be switching decoders. But it really doesn't bother me to much kind of expect it. Im not sure if this is onkyo specific but I had a entry-level yamaha rxv-371 that never had a delay but it of coarse didn't even come close to the onk's in every other aspect.
    Sources-Pro-ject Debut Carbon,Sony Bdp-s5100,Toshiba HD-a3(cd transport)
    Processing and Power-Onkyo TX-NR717, ATI AT1202
    Mains-Polk Audio RTi12's
    Display- LG 60PA6500
    Misc. Panamax m4300 conditioner, Blue Jeans Ten White, Blue Jeans LC1 ICs.

It's not Onkyo-specific. My Denon AVR does the same thing. The only way I know to avoid it is to output decoded from your source so that your AVR isn't handling the decoding duties, as jeremy mentioned above.
    2.1: Peachtree DAC●iT>Yaqin MC-10L w/6CA7-EH, Voskhod 6N1P-EV>polkaudio RT25i, PSW202

5.1: ATI HD5850 HDMI Bitstreaming>Denon AVR-1910>polkaudio RT7, CS350-LS, RT3, PSW505, Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000

Quote Originally Posted by jeremymarcinko View Post
    Not that I know of. My onkyo 705 and 717 both due this as well. You can probably set your player to output pcm instead of bitstream so your receiver stays on multi-channel and wont be switching decoders. But it really doesn't bother me to much kind of expect it. Im not sure if this is onkyo specific but I had a entry-level yamaha rxv-371 that never had a delay but it of coarse didn't even come close to the onk's in every other aspect.
    It definitely doesn't bother me too much just thought there might be a way to delay the video maybe through a setting on the receiver.

For movies it's fine 2-3 seconds doesn't hurt but when recapping a tv show miss a few words at the beginning nothing major of course I just rewind to the beginning.

Thread Information