Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default RM-6750 5.1 Speaker Mods?

Got these a few weeks ago, and love them. Still have my old RTA-11t's, which wife wants me to sale, but im still thinking about.

Anyways, really like the small sats,clean sound, pretty decent, really for the size they are great. Even the sub which ive seen bashed a lot, is much better than I thought it would be. Good,but not great, but fairly musical, and im not into super loud bass and 120 decibels anyways.

My question though, is has anyone modded the sats? I know there isnt a lot that can be done to improve them as they are a fairly low cost speaker, and the enclosure is very dedicated shape wise to the drivers and so on.

Would adding some dynamat type material to the sides, and top and bottom, help with the resonances and relatively thin feel of the enclosure?

Im not complaining, but just looking for things that could be even more improved upon.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Tweaks can be done to any piece of gear. Crossover mods may be difficult due to the size of the cabinet, but you can always do external crossovers. Do not add Dynamat Extreme to the cabinet walls, it's not designed for that. You'd want No-Rez or Black Hole 5 and not much of it.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    Tweaks can be done to any piece of gear. Crossover mods may be difficult due to the size of the cabinet, but you can always do external crossovers. Do not add Dynamat Extreme to the cabinet walls, it's not designed for that. You'd want No-Rez or Black Hole 5 and not much of it.
    Yes true about the small size for crossovers. Good advice about the dynamat extreme. I was figuring on mainly the sides of each enclosure, maybe a 3 inch high by about 2 inch deep stick on material, that would cover about 60-80 percent of the sides, the main part that seems to resonate a decent bit. I dont want to go too extreme with mods, but the resonace seems to be a pretty easy one to tackle and the one thing that would make a noticable gain with very little spent.

As far as X-overs, Im not sure whats needed or could be improved, as ive not really done, nor have access to anything to get a response graph of the sound.

Ive read about some noticable improvements, from modest tweaks, and figured maybe someone already did some!

I did some Pink Noise, and have a built in Eq on my new Yamaha receiver, VX373, and found that the sats were fairly smooth, and not much eq was really needed.

The only obvious problems I could hear, seemed to be a bit too much output in the range around approximately 6-8Khz, and a bit too much ( maybe the resonance of the cabinet) in the 250-400 Hz range.
    Last edited by kevintomb; 02-23-2013 at 02:16 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

As far as X-overs, Im not sure whats needed or could be improved
    Change the electrolytic caps to high quality film and foil caps, such as Sonicap. Change the block resistors to Mills. That will result in a notable sonic improvement.

Go easy with the No-Rez or Black Hole 5. Too much will kill the sound.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Don't take this as an elitist viewpoint, but I don't see where its worth the time and effort to do any mods to them. You might get small gains in SQ, but in the end, its still going to be a HTIB satellite with a 3.5" woofer. I owned and enjoyed them for about two years (off an older RX-V563), but see zero point in doing anything to them other than moving up the chain. Not only will the gains likely be small, but you're eating everything you put into them, money which could be used to upgrade the front 3 or something else. It took me months to unload mine for $100, which I feel is a steal for a decent 5.1 satellite system.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Ooh trust me not offended I know they are quite entry level, ive owned better and all. Im wanting the fun of doing it moreso! I will eventually upgrade the fronts maybe with the tl3 series.

Member Sales Rating: (31)

Save your money for the TL series.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

If you're already thinking about the TL series, then just wait. If you haven't seen/held the TL2/3, the build quality puts the older RM series to absolute shame. When I had the 6750's, I ended up grabbing some M10's to play around with upgrades and see what they could do. In the end, I sold them before ever modifying them because I already had my eyes on bigger fish. Think about upgrading the RTA's as you should get some monetary gain from that as well as more significant improvements.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Thanks all! I did listen to the tl1 series and they were close in sound, got a greatbdeal on the rm6750 set, all with sub andb5 sats for 169.99. Ihavent heard 5he tl3 speakers yet. Not sure how much better they are.

The TL1's build quality is nowhere near the TL2/TL3. After some time with the top 2 models, I was very disappointed when I saw the TL1 for the first time. I have higher standards than most though and realize this was a great product for their target audience.

To put it into perspective, when I first saw the TL3, I immediately related the overall design to that of the $800 Polk SR car components. While its obviously not the same product, it definitely shows the trickle-down effect of that technology.

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    The TL1's build quality is nowhere near the TL2/TL3. After some time with the top 2 models, I was very disappointed when I saw the TL1 for the first time. I have higher standards than most though and realize this was a great product for their target audience.

To put it into perspective, when I first saw the TL3, I immediately related the overall design to that of the $800 Polk SR car components. While its obviously not the same product, it definitely shows the trickle-down effect of that technology.
    Ive heard the TL1 Extensively and obviously the RM-6750 as I own it, but was expecting the TL1 to whip the butt of the lowly RM, but it really didnt at all. In fact in many ways the old RM was better. Better sensitivity, better bass, better power handling, and less distortion at high levels. The TL1 did have a slightly better midrange quality though. It was not enough difference to make me spend more for it though.

How do the TL2 and TL3 compare sound wise to the TL1? I had thought I heard the TL2 when it first came out, but now im not sure if it was the 2 or 1 series

Quote Originally Posted by kevintomb View Post
    Ive heard the TL1 Extensively and obviously the RM-6750 as I own it, but was expecting the TL1 to whip the butt of the lowly RM, but it really didnt at all. In fact in many ways the old RM was better. Better sensitivity, better bass, better power handling, and less distortion at high levels. The TL1 did have a slightly better midrange quality though. It was not enough difference to make me spend more for it though.

How do the TL2 and TL3 compare sound wise to the TL1? I had thought I heard the TL2 when it first came out, but now im not sure if it was the 2 or 1 series
    The TL1 targets the "get surround sound as cheap as possible" crowd. At it's price point, it offers a very solid product. The RM6750 was not originally aimed at that same audience. It had a much higher price tag when it hit the market. The RM6750 falls somewhere between the 1 and the 2, where both the 2/3 series are targeting those who want quality sound, but in a small package. While the 3 is the better overall performer and uses better drivers, the build quality is toe to toe with the two. The TL2 is voiced more for movies where the 3 is smooth enough to be used for music as well. The TL1 simply does not compare in any way, shape, or form to its bigger brothers. They share the same idea/basic design, but the build quality is worlds apart.

The RM6750 can't compete with the 2/3 IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    The TL1 targets the "get surround sound as cheap as possible" crowd. At it's price point, it offers a very solid product. The RM6750 was not originally aimed at that same audience. It had a much higher price tag when it hit the market. The RM6750 falls somewhere between the 1 and the 2, where both the 2/3 series are targeting those who want quality sound, but in a small package. While the 3 is the better overall performer and uses better drivers, the build quality is toe to toe with the two. The TL2 is voiced more for movies where the 3 is smooth enough to be used for music as well. The TL1 simply does not compare in any way, shape, or form to its bigger brothers. They share the same idea/basic design, but the build quality is worlds apart.

The RM6750 can't compete with the 2/3 IMO.
    Cool, was hoping you would say that, as eventually I will replace the left/right Rm 6751 with either the 2 or 3 series blackstone. I got my whole setup, 5 sats and sub on closeout for only $169.99 so it was hard to pass up!

The TL1 blackstone was going for about $299.99 with no sub so it was a tough sell.

I also own a flawless pair of RTA-11t's from back in the day, and it pained me to finally reduce down in size to the little RMs.

But after several weeks of owning them, I see they actually have some advantages over the old RTA 11s!

Thread Information