Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default "What difference does it make!"

in the immortal words of Hillary Clinton.. "what difference does it make!" if i just use my ps3 to play all my blu rays and cd's compared to specific components?

I sold my PS3 and bought a Sony bdp s-790 and it was a nice upgrade in picture and sound quality. I use my Xbox for video games anyways so it made sense to me, the PS3 isn't a bad player but you can gain from upgrading.
    Theater Room: Pioneer Elite SC-35, RTi12's, Csi5, Fxi5's, Fxi3's, ED A5-350 sub, Optoma HD20, 92'' Elite Screen, Sony BDPS790, Xbox One, APC H15, MIT Exp 2 SC's, Pepster PC's

Living Room: Martin Logan ESL's, Peachtree Audio iNova, Zu Mission SC's & IC's, Pepster PC, Sharp Aquos 60'', AEX

Bedroom: Panasonic AX200U projector, 110" screen

Outdoor: Polk Atrium 5's, Yamaha Rxv371

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Not much at all as long as your using HDMI out.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by htrdln View Post
    in the immortal words of Hillary Clinton.. "what difference does it make!" if i just use my ps3 to play all my blu rays and cd's compared to specific components?
    None, if you have actually compared different components and can't tell a difference, or if you are happy with your PS3 and can blissfully live in a safe bubble of contentment.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.

Member Sales Rating: (26)

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Tracy View Post
    None, if you have actually compared different components and can't tell a difference...
    Best answer yet.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

"The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction". - Kenneth Swauger

If that's what you want to do, go for it, you're the one that has to listen to it.Name:  rock on.gif
Views: 663
Size:  1.6 KB
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.

i havent really compared..

Member Sales Rating: (55)

Then it really doesn't matter to you. Quit now, don't invite any of these guys over, and you're golden. Have fun.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

The PS3 is a decent source but in a world where there are sources that cost $10K (or more) it's all relevant to how much money you have, how critical you are, the quality of rest of your gear, etc. Today, where 90% of young people are happy with MP3 quality played on devices that don't even do that format justice, it's kind of a loaded question. Like asking what difference does it make if you drive a Prius or a BMW. It's a 100% personal issue.

EDIT: By 'decent' I'm implying 'fair'.
    Last edited by dragon1952; 02-24-2013 at 04:24 PM.

HT system -
    Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH, LG 60PK550 plasma, Panasonic DMP-BDT210 BDP, DTV HD receiver, SB Touch, 5 x Polk Audio RC85i
    Computer rig - Windows 7 PC running JRiver, M2Tech HiFace 2 w/external battery power, Grant Fidelity TubeDac 11, Fostex PMO.4n monitors

Quote Originally Posted by George Grand View Post
    Then it really doesn't matter to you. Quit now, don't invite any of these guys over, and you're golden. Have fun.
    I concur. You're ahead. Living in darkness is cheaper than living in the light.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Member Sales Rating: (49)

PS3 doesn't even place in my top 5

But I don't see any reason for you not to use it...

Keep your wallet full...
    Hot Rodded SDA 1.2TL's, SDA 1C's, SDA CRS+'s...
    Powered By Wyred 4 Sound, STP-SE, SX-1000...
    MIT-Shotgun's ...

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Good way to hold on to your wallet; which is something most of us, here, can't do. As they say "everything" matters! I have a PS3 and a couple of BDPs besides but when I want to listen to my CDs on the top system, I break out the Jolida CDP. There "is" a difference.

You could, I suppose, use the PS3 as a transport to a DAC and up your CD sound in this way. As far as playing CDs on a PS3, passable, at best. Video-wise, better than CD play, but certainly not the last word in BDPs these days.

As Mr. Grand suggests, you're OK for now!

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

I would tink it depends on therest of the setup.
    No need to use a $1000 universal player with a nice dac if it's going thru a $300 AVR.
    What do you run this PS3 through? That would be a big decider.
    My son uses his PS3 but he also doesn't have a Hifi system.Just an avr with some def tech speakers.

The ps3 is a horrible transport and cd's sounded garbage with hdmi compared to a denon bdp2500 I had for comparison so hdmi does not sound the same

I disagree. My oppo was a huge improvement over my PS3. Both with HDMI out.

Quote Originally Posted by mantis View Post
    Not much at all as long as your using HDMI out.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost240 View Post
    I disagree. My oppo was a huge improvement over my PS3. Both with HDMI out.
    But there are those here that will state it can't make a difference when using HDMI. For what it's worth, I believe you because not only am I bad and nationwide, I'm now influential as well.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

10k blu ray player i'll have to lookinto that.. but just upgraded to lsi25's and lci c with monitor 70 series 2 for rears powered by an adcom gfa7805 using denon 4310ci for a preamp and ps3 for the player..

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    But there are those here that will state it can't make a difference when using HDMI. For what it's worth, I believe you because not only am I bad and nationwide, I'm now influential as well.
    I'll agree that it makes a difference. When I took my PS3 out and put in my Oppo (and the previous Marantz UD5007) there was a huge improvement in Video quality and much better sound quality (all through HDMI).

Keeping in mind my "fat" PS3 could not bitstream audio so it had to do the processing itself...

But even with the Oppo, if I bitstream or PCM the audio, it always sounds better than the PS3 ever did.
    Living room:
    Samsung PN50B860 50" Plasma : Oppo BDP-103 : Roku 3 : Denon AVR-2808Ci : Definitive Tech ProMonitor 800 R&L : ProCenter 1000 : Polk FXi 3 Surrounds : Twin Velodyne SPL 10 Series II's :

2Ch:
    Polk LSi 9's : Parasound HCA 1500A : Pro-Ject Debut Carbon : Cambridge 640P Phono Stage : Musical Fidelity M1 S DAC : APC H15 : MacBook Pro Retina :

hmm, good question

Hanging around on Mars makes you interplanetary and Omnipotent also

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post

If you haven't done the homework, how do you expect to know the answer to your question ?

I am also using PS3 for blue rays. I have been debating to go to Oppo, but then personally at least for me I cannot justify that extra money I would have to spend. I am happy with the PS3 as I have it hooked up via HDMI. But, the day it breaks, I will go for an Oppo and will connect with components... lets see when that happens

Quote Originally Posted by PolkieMan View Post
    LOL...thanks, I'll have to remember that.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Quote Originally Posted by PolkieMan View Post
    F1.....does this mean you're a Q?

Sounds more like Dr. Manhattan. ;)
    Down
    RTiA9 - CSiA6 - FXiA6 - Dual HSU VTF-15H
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

Up
    LSi9 LSiC - RX-V3000

RT5000p Waiting in the Wings...

To the OP: So long as the player doesn't mess with the source levels (and PS3 has been benchmarked by Secrets and doesn't), you shouldn't get a different picture from one to the other with Blu-rays. The video (and lossless audio formats) is sent to the display as packetized data with error correction, which excludes it from things like jitter that affect quality the way they would with analog video. Also, since it is packetized data, the biggest influence on the picture quality is the decoding in your display itself... and again, so long as each player doesn't alter the source levels, there should be no difference from one player to the other (save for conversion from 24fps to 30, but if your set accepts 1080p/24, that's not going to matter either). So as far as actual Blu-ray playback goes over HDMI, you won't see much difference, and if you're bitstreaming the lossless formats to your AVR over HDMI, there can be no difference in audio quality.

Other factors such as CD playback, PCM soundtracks, etc. that are subject to jitter, as well as upscaling or deinterlacing of DVD may benefit from a better player. In fact, if you look at that link to Secrets' benchmark, the PS3 is fairly awful as an upscaling DVD player and fails most of the tests for deinterlacing.
    Last edited by kuntasensei; 03-21-2013 at 10:46 AM.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Tracy View Post
    None if you can't tell a difference.
    And how!

The Playstation 3 makes for a fantastic CD player. The cell processor alone in the Ps3 I assume would be unmatched by any standalone CD player. And a huge plus is the upsampling abilities can take typical 48khz and output 176.4khz if your receiver can accept it. The difference in sound quality is incredible. If you have a ps3 and haven't changed this setting already its in the music settings. Don't think because its a video game console it can't be good for anything else, these units are built with high quality components and profited by the high volume of sales. Im not making any comparisons here, I realize there is "better" players but the Playstation is a amazing maching. Just sayin.
    Last edited by jeremymarcinko; 03-21-2013 at 11:16 AM.
    Sources-Pro-ject Debut Carbon,Sony Bdp-s5100,Toshiba HD-a3(cd transport)
    Processing and Power-Onkyo TX-NR717, ATI AT1202
    Mains-Polk Audio RTi12's
    Display- LG 60PA6500
    Misc. Panamax m4300 conditioner, Blue Jeans Ten White, Blue Jeans LC1 ICs.

I watched a blu ray the other night, Sinister, with the PS3. Picture and sound were as good as I'm accustomed to with the Sony BDP-S590 that I use on a regular basis. Feels silly using the video game controller as a remote control for blu ray, but performance seemed to be identical. Haven't tried any CDs.

Quote Originally Posted by kuntasensei View Post
    To the OP: So long as the player doesn't mess with the source levels (and PS3 has been benchmarked by Secrets and doesn't), you shouldn't get a different picture from one to the other with Blu-rays. The video (and lossless audio formats) is sent to the display as packetized data with error correction, which excludes it from things like jitter that affect quality the way they would with analog video. Also, since it is packetized data, the biggest influence on the picture quality is the decoding in your display itself... and again, so long as each player doesn't alter the source levels, there should be no difference from one player to the other (save for conversion from 24fps to 30, but if your set accepts 1080p/24, that's not going to matter either). So as far as actual Blu-ray playback goes over HDMI, you won't see much difference, and if you're bitstreaming the lossless formats to your AVR over HDMI, there can be no difference in audio quality.

Other factors such as CD playback, PCM soundtracks, etc. that are subject to jitter, as well as upscaling or deinterlacing of DVD may benefit from a better player. In fact, if you look at that link to Secrets' benchmark, the PS3 is fairly awful as an upscaling DVD player and fails most of the tests for deinterlacing.
    That Secrets review is 5 years old, so I am wondering how the review would be with the current firmware version?
    Front Speakers: Polk Audio LSi15 x 2
    Center Speaker: Polk Audio LSiC
    Rear Speakers: Polk Audio LSiF/X x 2
    Subwoofers: Polk Audio PSW505 x 2
    AVR: Denon AVR-3313CI
    Amp: Emotiva XPA-5

Thread Information