Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

You came up with that all by yourself..your so smart

Quote Originally Posted by headrott View Post
    Could it be that the motive (or Emotivas) of Emo lovers is to portray non-Emo lovers as "bashing" their brand and have high hopes of getting these "Emo bashers" really really worked up to a frenzy to say something to get the "Emo bashers" banned? Could that be one of the motives (Emotivas)? Ok, maybe I'm reaching here............

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by Jhayman View Post
    Which part are you referring to? And yes, I came up with all of that all by myself. If you read the Audio GD Vs. Emotiva DAC thread, I can also put on my own pants. Does that make me smarter than the average person too?
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Actually, it is "you're so smart". Not 'your so smart'. "You're" is a contraction of "you are", as in "you are so smart". Using 'your' is a common mistake with those learning English as a second language.

You are correct my mistake, Tired I guess..
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    Actually, it is "you're so smart". Not 'your so smart'. "You're" is a contraction of "you are", as in "you are so smart". Using 'your' is a common mistake with those learning English as a second language.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector 24 View Post
    Enjoy that puppy, and do let us know if you're able to fix the Parasound. I'd love to know what got broken!
    Tony at Parasound thinks it's just the output relays on the 2003, since it works sporadically and usually comes back if you power it off and back on. Shouldn't be more than $50 worth of parts and then it should be good to go, but I have to wait until the guy is back in town to do it. I'm just tired of hauling amps in-and-out of my equipment stand! These things are heavy!
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    He is just trolling. Notice how there has been no "bashing" of Emotiva in this thread, but the mentally weak continue to cry that there is. Isn't it some form of mental illness when one sees things that are not there?

Anyway, it's good to have the occasional troll, since they are amusing.
    Jhayman's continuing need to poke the bear aside, F1nut did start this train a'rolling with his unsolicited Kool-Aid comment. It's there... you can see it. If that makes me mentally weak, well... DERP!

Not that it matters at this point, because while all this nonsense was being posted today, I screened Lincoln, Les Miserables and Life Of Pi... and am still pretty pleased with the sound of the XPA-3. I'd rather be enjoying my equipment than on here defending it... so I'm gonna' keep doing that.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp

Quote Originally Posted by sucks2beme View Post
    Pick a budget and your speakers, and go with whatever works with your budget and
    sounds best. If in your case if it was EMO, then great. If your budget is bigger and it's not
    Emo, also great. I have a pretty decent SS amp, and a good tube amp. If I need lots of
    clean power, SS it is. The Hales liked power. The Proacs I'm currently running sound best
    with the ARC. Tubes in that set up win. I wasn't happy to hear of troubles with used amps.
    been there, done that. Here in DFW In have a great selection of used, new, and local dealer trade ins.
    And not having to ship amps makes me happy. The only thing worse is shipping speakers. I get to see UPS
    and Fedex drop stuff here all the time, and just last week I saw UPS slide a server off the trunk,
    and smack down flat on the street. It was ok, but it gives a pretty good picture of why stuff doesn't
    survive shipping.
    Now here's a reasonable post, posted by an adult. Let's see more of these.

kunta -

I continue to be amazed with the quality of sound I'm getting from the upa-200 and the LSi7s. These LSi7s really nail the midrange as a 2-way bookshelf should. Every bit as good as the wharfedale diamond 10.1s in that regard, and better everywhere else; the bass these put out is tight, highs smooth and detailed as heck. The LSi9s didn't do it for me; bass/mid-bass just didn't work in my room. But the upa-200 and LSi7s are lighting it up. I could do a two-channel setup with these and be very happy. I think Emotiva may have stepped up their game with this new line of amps. No need for the risks inherent with buying old adcoms, acurus', nads, etc., ... budget amps. Not when you can get brand new ones for similar prices, with five-year warranties, and sound that is more than satisfactory. I was on the fence about this company after briefly owning the XPA-2, I admit that. I found it a bit *shouty*. But this upa-200 is a keeper and a steal for the price. Just as with Polk, where you shouldn't judge one speaker on the basis of another, it isn't wise to judge all Emotiva products on the basis of the one you've heard. But if you haven't heard ANY of their products, you should absolutely voice your opinion, as many of you have; perhaps even write professional reviews.

Loud&Clear - I noticed on the UPA-200 there are two fans in there, do they make any audible noise? I'm guessing not or you would have said something. On another note, the new XPA-1L looks neat...

I haven't heard any fan noise. Not sure if they've gone on yet or not. Amp feels really cool on top even after hours of continuous use. Supposedly the fan runs quiet if it does engage. Not big on fans - something that could stop working - but I get it that larger heat sinks would bring the price up.

Yeah, I've also been eyeballing that XPA-1L. My experience with this upa-200 has really opened my eyes to their new line of amps. Of course just because one amp works for you doesn't mean that the others will. Having said that, the return policy makes it easier to audition them than it does with some other options. New, competent budget gear with a 5-year warranty and a fair return policy is very attractive to a guy like me. This coming on the heels of buying an eBay adcom 5400 that distorted badly over both channels. I was able to return it for a refund but it can sour one on going that route again.

If it tells you how nice the sound is with the Emo on the older RTi's that I have, a friend was over and we were watching Shameless tonight... and in one scene, there's a knock on the door that comes from the right channel... and after the second knock, he said, "You gonna get that?" When you can't tell it's on the TV show, that's pretty nice. I'm very happy with how well it's working in my room.

Glad the UPA-200 is working with your LSi's, Loud & Clear. I used to look at LSi's all the time and think that I should snag some, but I never did. Also, I'm running a Crown XLS-1500 to power my SVS/Buttkicker setup, and I've never heard the fan come on. I'm betting you'd have to really be pushing the UPA-200 to get significant fan noise... or have it in a less-than-ideal space where heat buildup is an issue. Hell, I'm shocked at how little warmth I feel from the XPA-3, even after some punishing high-level use.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp

Vinyl is making a big comeback now, just do a quick Google search about vinyl I did..
    Well, there's your first mistake. You should have gone to Wikipedia, The Fount of All Knowledge. Like I do. They tell me good stuff.

Come on, are you really going to tell me vinyl did not have a HUGE decline when compact disk was introduced?
    Sort of like how there was a slight dip in record sales when the 8-track came out, especially with the introduction of the 8-track home console !! Coupled with a spring reverb ... no wonder record sales took a dip !

Ok whatever you say, .........Watching my local news stations I have seen them actually say that Vinyl is makeing a comeback and to NOT throw out your records keep them..
    Reminds me of a local newscast last year at the scene of a trailer park that had just escaped being hit by a tornado. The on-the-scene reporter gal (Cute !) held a mic up to a resident's face and asked him, "What can you do if a tornado actually comes through the trailer park ?".

Luckily for her, the older gentlemen took a few seconds to respond. Assume he took those few seconds to discard his immediate and correct response of "Well, what the *#&A$#$ do you think we can do, you %#!#%@ witch ? It's a tornado in a TRAILER PARK !!".
    But he didn't. He was kind to they younger novice reporter and merely replied, "Well ....... you do the best you can.".

My point ? Well, as hard as it might be to believe, I'd recommend that you don't base decisions in life on local news broadcasting !
    Yes, it's true !!! Stick to Wikipedia, and you'll do just fine. Kind of. For the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by lightman1
    I like funnel cakes and puppy kisses!
    Guess you'll have to wait for your local state fair on the funnel cakes. As to the puppy kisses ..... uhm ...... well, .... maybe Jhayman could help a fellow Polkie out.

DISCLAIMER: Not that that's a bad thing.

Well, my 15-minute work break is over, so I have to go, but ... well, don't cry about it, I'll ..... okay, now you're getting
    ... a little smart alecky about the whole thing ! I'm out of here !!!

...... I saw that !

You must read a lot of picture books judging by the amount of emoticons you use.
    I feel like I'm reading broken English trying to understand your points.

You must read a lot of picture books judging by the amount of emoticons you use.

You really need to take a step back and cool off , NOW.
    This thread needs to be locked.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson

The funny part is he was warned and told to back off.
    He apologized...well at least to everyone in *that* thread anyway.
    And he has returned to form with a vengeance.
    "Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    I may have an addiction... RTA-15TL, SDA 2, LSi25, LSi15, LSi9, LSi7, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LS/FX, RT/FX, DSW MP2000...and that's just the Polks...

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Quote Originally Posted by headrott View Post
    Could it be that the motive (or Emotivas) of Emo lovers is to portray non-Emo lovers as "bashing" their brand and have high hopes of getting these "Emo bashers" really really worked up to a frenzy to say something to get the "Emo bashers" banned? Could that be one of the motives (Emotivas)? Ok, maybe I'm reaching here............

There is also the distinct possibility that Emoettes spent entirely too much time in front of giant electron tubes watching "Pinky and the Brain", thus explaining their insatiable zeal for taking over the world, and the lack of functioning grey matter within their craniums.
    Last edited by nooshinjohn; 03-11-2013 at 11:57 AM.
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"Everything we have fought for has been lost, and everything we fought against, we have become...."

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector 24 View Post
    Allow me to butt in here and change the topic...again...

I'm the guy the OP purchased the amp from and having been screwed by people who did a deplorable job packing a delicate 75lb peice of metal I was sure to properly protect the amp. Packing consisted of placing the amp in a garbage bag, surrounding it with a layer of 2" thick foam insulation board from Home Depot and placing it in a heavy duty Home Depot moving box. I too pictures of the packing process and even made movies of the speakers playing clearly before I packaged it up, just in case UPS were idiots.

Pics:
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...=1#post1823843

While the amp was prevented from shifting around inside the box I wonder if the foam was too firm, not able to absorb impacts and vibrations good enough, thus transmitting it into the chassis, so UPS could have dropped it fairly hard without damaging the box, but all the impact went right into the amp.
    While you did a good job of trying to protect. May I recommend Dow blue or pink rigid foam. This is much better than the bead board styrofoam. As you probably noticed when cutting that it is kind of soft and comes apart easily. In the past when I shipped amps with any type of handle I always removed them. I also put the rigid styro between the outer box and the inner box also.
    YMMV
    Last edited by pitdogg2; 03-11-2013 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sucks2beme View Post
    You really need to take a step back and cool off , NOW.
    This thread needs to be locked.
    L&C and I tried to reign things back in to the matter at hand... and yet, the nonsense continues. I'd hate to see this thread end up in the hall of shame, so Jhayman, I respectfully ask that you move on. You aren't helping the situation. Thanks.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    While you did a good job of trying to protect. May I recommend Dow blue or pink rigid foam. This is much better than the bead board styrofoam. As you probably noticed when cutting that it is kind of soft and comes apart easily. In the past when I shipped amps with any type of handle I always removed them. I also put the rigid styro between the outer box and the inner box also.
    YMMV
    A friend who works for UPS once told me that anything you pack to send should be done with the idea that it needs to survive a 6-8 foot drop, since that's normally what their conveyor systems are for handling and things fall off all the time. So even if the UPS guy handles it with kid gloves, it can be beat to hell in the system.

I thought Inspector 24 did a pretty good job of packing it, honestly (and I still have the box he sent it in). And other than the obvious signs that it had been dropped once the tech got into it (i.e. the transformer mount was skewed, meaning it was dropped on its side at some point), I don't know that the current problem (speaker output relays) could be related to shipping damage. Could've just been their time to go. No telling. Either way, it was time for me to move forward. Once it gets back in working order, I may hook it up to decide whether I should stick with it... but it's far more likely that I will sell it to someone else cheaper than I bought it, with a full disclosure of what it has been through. I'm sure it could work very nicely for someone with a little more technical knowledge or money to restore it.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp

Quote Originally Posted by kuntasensei View Post
    A friend who works for UPS once told me that anything you pack to send should be done with the idea that it needs to survive a 6-8 foot drop, since that's normally what their conveyor systems are for handling and things fall off all the time. So even if the UPS guy handles it with kid gloves, it can be beat to hell in the system.I thought Inspector 24 did a pretty good job of packing it, honestly
    Yes i do agree that it was packed pretty good. I'm just tossing out what has worked for me time after time with not one problem yet. I deal with UPS and FEDEX drivers day in and day out. I've seen how they toss items from the front of the truck to my dock 10-12'. That is why I pack for the darn thing to fall out of the truck at speed let alone for a 6-8' drop. I once sent my TFM45,TFM25 and Carver C16 all in the same outer box from Illinois to Oregon UPS ground and that darn box was round by the time Roland got it but he said all arrived in very good condition and was the best packing he had ever seen. Roland told me in the phone call before he even opened the box how bad it was I asked that he open and inspect. My box was 40x40x40 with 4" of pink board on all sides top and bottom and 2" between each box and 1.5" inside each factory unit box with all inputs and binding post drilled out so none of those would get damaged from impact.
    Once again I'm just stating in shipping it must be bombproof and the seller did what he could.

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    YMMV
    Funny you mention that, as I was deciding between the two I went for the white stuff because it was softer. I figured in the event of an impact it would provide more cushioning, more shock absorption. Next time I'll go for the pink stuff, if only because the white stuff is super messy. As you cut it apart white foam shizz gets everywhere!

Next amp I ship will have double the padding. Sad that 2" of foam isn't enough. :(
    Down
    RTiA9 - CSiA6 - FXiA6 - Dual HSU VTF-15H
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

Up
    LSi9 LSiC - RX-V3000

RT5000p Waiting in the Wings...

All my work electronics is packed with the pink foam. There's two kinds, the semi-hard and the soft stuff.
    The company uses it from the factory, and I save it where I can.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson

I wish Viagra came in semi-hard and semi-soft, lol

Guys Emotiva just came out with a "new" class "A" A/B amp monoblock that is its the "new" xpa-1L.They are saying that the "First 35 watts are class"A" then after that it eases into the class"A/B".Well I did some reading up on class"A" class A/B amps and correct me if I am wrong? ..but All class "A" or more to the point class"A/B" amp designs are class"A" the first 5 to 10 watts or so?Lets give Emotiva some credit for this"New" if you can say that about the XPA-1L,the first "35 watts are class "A" Kudos! I say to Emotiva for this breakthrough,..which it is Not anything "New" I say just a very good "Marketing"of a amp design that has been around well almost as long as class"D" amp design.Now I am Not Saying this New to Emotiva that is won't are doesn't sound great with the first 35 watts been class"A" What I do hope is that it sounds better then the "Neutral" sounding amps that they do have out now for "Music" that is.Sorry about the typos..just saying is all seem's like why some people don't like EMO is cause..Well hype is hype right?..Oh one more thing and this is just "My" thought on this Tubes do rule and it is why my next amp will be a Vincent for two channel,Why? cause I can afford it for two channel that is..and its made in "China" too.
    Last edited by Tankman; 03-12-2013 at 09:55 AM.

I wish Viagra came in semi-hard and semi-soft, lol
    really trying to earn that TROLL badge

It's called a joke geesh lighten up

Quote Originally Posted by Tankman View Post
    Guys Emotiva just came out with a "new" class "A" A/B amp monoblock that is its the "new" xpa-1L.They are saying that the "First 35 watts are class"A" then after that it eases into the class"A/B".Well I did some reading up on class"A" class A/B amps and correct me if I am wrong? ..but All class "A" or more to the point class"A/B" amp designs are class"A" the first 5 to 10 watts or so?Lets give Emotiva some credit for this"New" if you can say that about the XPA-1L,the first "35 watts are class "A" Kudos! I say to Emotiva for this breakthrough,..which it is Not anything "New" I say just a very good "Marketing"of a amp design that has been around well almost as long as class"D" amp design.Now I am Not Saying this New to Emotiva that is won't are doesn't sound great with the first 35 watts been class"A" What I do hope is that it sounds better then the "Neutral" sounding amps that they do have out now for "Music" that is.Sorry about the typos..just saying is all seem's like why some people don't like EMO is cause..Well hype is hype right?..Oh one more thing and this is just "My" thought on this Tubes do rule and it is why my next amp will be a Vincent for two channel,Why? cause I can afford it for two channel that is..and its made in "China" too.
    Actually, that feature is one I've never seen, but it sounds like they're basically letting you select the bias. Most class A/B amps are biased such that the amp is class A only up to 15 watts or so, which keeps them running cooler. I know a lot of John Curl's designs for Parasound use a higher bias so they're class A up to maybe 30w, which is why those designs tend to put out more heat at idle. Emotiva letting you select the bias so it shifts the A stage to 35w is an interesting idea. Just not sure what real-world benefit it will have, since most of the more expensive amps use a higher bias anyway.

So yeah, biasing an amp that high is nothing new... but letting you select the bias of the amp without modifying it, at least to my knowledge, is a first. Whether it will make any real difference, who knows? I could see it being interesting to play with in a dual 2-channel/HT setup though.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp

@kuntasensei...Thanks,I knew that class "A" puts out more heat then class A/B too a point.I agree with you I have never seen a amp with the class"A" where you could "select".I also know that's why Parasound amps and some others tend too put out more heat because of that.35 watts to play with is nice we shall see.
    Last edited by Tankman; 03-12-2013 at 02:54 PM.

That mean you're buying one to try out, Tank? 'Cause I'm sure as hell not!
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp

Thread Information