Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    I dunno man, people buy Emo because they want new and cheap. Legacy speakers don't fall into that cheap catagory. To spend 7 grand on speakers and power them with the cheapest amp available just doesn't make sense to me anyway. I think Bill maybe dillusional thinking he can shake thousands of dollars loose from the pockets of Emo buyers.
    Yeah, his thinking that is almost as absurd as thinking he could shake only Emo prices for amplification out of Legacy buyers. We here all know that at Emo prices, there's absolutely no way it could sound good. How in the heck did he get to the top of that audio empire of his with thinking like that?!

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Member Sales Rating: (41)

I dunno guys, I have to disagree too. Anyone with a 40g system and then cheaps out on amps ? Come on now, synergy or not, I find it hard to believe they couldn't find synergy with more capable amps let alone better sound. Maybe they just spent their wad on speakers and had little left over.

Not ment to Emo bash, as they serve their purpose well but if thats the start and end of your amplification search, then you best get a new hearing aid....for both ears.
    I'm guessing the same goes for people running $10k-$30k systems and using $2000 SDA's right?

Quote Originally Posted by leroyjr1 View Post
    I'm guessing the same goes for people running $10k-$30k systems and using $2000 SDA's right?
    All depends, I've heard many 10g systems I thought wasn't much better than 1g ones. SDA'S have a signature sound thats very appealing to many and I wouldn't blame anyone with them anchoring any system. Lots of speakers are better however, and I guess that can be said about any piece of gear. For me personally, If I had 30g's laying around to spend, SDA's wouldn't be on the list. Thats just me though as the example of 40g systems being fed off 500 buck amps is more an extreme case. To each his own though, if that floats your boat. The world won't collapse around us if Emo lovers drive 40g speakers with their amps.

They also offer something that no other speaker offers. If that technology is what floats your boat, what other options do you have?
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Member Sales Rating: (3)

The Polk Audio SDA and SDA SRS line of speakers are about about 22 to 28 years old right? I have to question if these Emotiva amps bought in the last 3 or so years will still be working in 20 years. Or in 10 years.... Time has a way of deciding these things.
    Last edited by Polkie2009; 03-13-2013 at 07:31 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Most of the guys here that continue to bash Emo at every chance they get are running at best mid level Polk speakers. Oh but they do have them with fancy pants amps & fancy pants cables so I guess that's the kicker. The level of bias is just out of control. How funny is it that Polk speakers are the brunt of jokes on other forums just like Emo is here. You simply can't use the word audiophile (I just love that word) & Polk speakers in the same conversation. Oh well, to each is own. Now I'll never, ever consider Legacy speakers after learning that they had the nerve to drive them with Emo gear. What a shame...but on the other hand maybe they know something we don't? Man this stuff gets old.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3010 AVR
    D>SONIC M2-600M mono's / mains
    Rotel RMB-1095 / 5 channel amp
    Rotel RMB-1075 / 5 channel amp
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.
    Def Tech ProMonitor 1000 / front & rear presence
    Velodyne SPL-1200R subs / dual pair
    DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 sub EQ
    Equitech Balanced Power Son of Q 1.5R
    Extensive room treatments

Actually, I had a buddy building up the Legacy speakers big time. So as we turned the corner into their pretty empty room at Axpona, I had high expectations of something that'd at least rise to the level of fun to listen to. Those mid sized ones, as shown on that opening YouTube splash, were a GIANT letdown. Left me, and him, totally cold. Not even close to connecting. Now I think I know why....

So maybe powering them that way could have been a mistake on the part of Legacy. So the question would be....did they notice? Did they power with Emo the next time?

I don't have a dog in this hunt...other than the pursuit of music that can carry the emotion and take you beyond electronic reproduction. Did not hear it on that system!! It had highs and lows....musta been a little better than Bose!

CJ
    As seen on the AVS forum... "Radio Shack zip cord kicks butt."

Member Sales Rating: (13)

"but it still weighs in at a respectable 35 pounds."

I've got CDP's that weigh more than that.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

My Dac weighs 5 lbs than that amp and it does not have the 10 lb face plate

Two works of ART

To polkfarmboy check out the HUGE faceplates on the Pass amps and see who's are bigger, lol
    You guys just don't get it and Never will.
    Ok F1 the XPR-5 weighs in at 100lbs NET is that to lite for you?
    Most reviews I have read have always in part commented on the Excellent Quality Build.
    Why is it so hard to believe that the things you bought over the last 30 yrs can't be built for much cheaper today especially when it's China's biggest import/export..
    Why is it always a High dollar value associated to quality and not Greed/Profit, just look at how many cable Manufacturers popped up in the last decade or two,,I wonder why..
    Click image for larger version

Name:	xpa1l_topweb_1024x1024.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	82749
    Click image for larger version

Name:	xpr2_top_web_1024x1024.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	82750
    Last edited by Jhayman; 03-13-2013 at 10:49 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by Jhayman View Post
    Most reviews I have read have always in part commented on the Excellent Quality Build.
    Why is it so hard to believe that the things you bought over the last 30 yrs can't be built for much cheaper today especially when it's China's biggest import/export..
    Why is it always a High dollar value associated to quality and not Greed/Profit, just look at how many cable Manufacturers popped up in the last decade or two,,I wonder why.
    Excellent build quality and China are oxymorons in my experience of paying attention to Chinese made items for the past 18 years. Yes, 18 years.

There are a very few imported Chinese made exceptions however.

Edit: Also, high dollar value is associated with quality because some of us have experienced the difference a high quality cable can make (or any high quality piece of gear for that matter).
    Last edited by headrott; 03-13-2013 at 11:59 PM.
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Ok F1 the XPR-5 weighs in at 100lbs NET is that to lite for you?
    Considering that it's a 5 channel amp and that my 2 channel amp weighs more, I'd have to say it's still too light for me.

Sorry dude, that shoe is on your foot.

just look at how many cable Manufacturers popped up in the last decade or two,,I wonder why..

Well of course you wonder why, you've never tried any.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

The only person who does not get it is you, but since you are just a troll the point is moot. There has been more than one explanation showing that Emotiva gear is good, solid entry level gear. For what it is, it works fine. However, if you want better, and many people do, then you need to pay more for better gear. Only a fool and moron would even think that Emotiva is something other than entry level gear. And to even attempt to argue that Emotiva is more than entry level gear, you would have to be stupider than a fool and a moron. Or a TROLL.

With that said, here is a review of the Emotiva XDA-2 DAC. It isn't a bad review, but it is clear that it is in the entry level class. Again, there isn't anything wrong with that, but a better DAC will cost more money. Plus a better DAC will need both a better power cable, a good digital cable on the input, and good analog cables out in order to reach its potential. These are items that anyone with the slightest knowledge of audio will not hesitate to buy even though their total price will be more than the DAC.

http://www.audiostream.com/content/e...pheadphone-amp

Quote Originally Posted by pearsall001 View Post
    . What a shame...but on the other hand maybe they know something we don't? Man this stuff gets old.
    No...not a sham Phil, but it does get old. I think perhaps Legacy was trying to showcase their speakers as being versatile with an array of gear. As one poster noted, not the best choice. My conclusion is that the average Emo buyer is more concerned about price than sound quality which is the opposite of what Legacy does so the pairing did seem strange to me. If Emo was of such high standards I'd suppose we'd see that name in your sig Phil driving the Kef system. I'm sure they'd have no problem doing it either. Plus you can save a few bucks and put it elsewhere in the system . Isn't that the Emo mantra anyway ?

I don't know how many times we have to say it. Emotiva is fine stuff for when you bust your cherry into the world of seperates. But the deeper you get into this audio world you'll discover a world beyond Emotiva. Doesn't make them bad, just entry level. Like an entry level AVR, it has a purpose and a designated use but can quickly become the week link as you move up the ladder. Simply put, there is gear for whatever level of the audio game you play on, but not all gear can play on all levels.

In 1990 dollars, yeah. The same speakers today would be considerably more.

I don't know how many times we have to say it. Emotiva is fine stuff for when you bust your cherry into the world of seperates. But the deeper you get into this audio world you'll discover a world beyond Emotiva. Doesn't make them bad, just entry level. Like an entry level AVR, it has a purpose and a designated use but can quickly become the week link as you move up the ladder. Simply put, there is gear for whatever level of the audio game you play on, but not all gear can play on all levels.
    Many people disagree with you. How many times do you need them to tell you that?

Quote Originally Posted by audiocr381ve View Post
    Many people disagree with you. How many times do you need them to tell you that?
    I don't care if anyone disagrees with whatever I say, it's the crowd that calls you an Emo basher if you disagree with them that gets my goat. Opinions will certainly vary in a subjective hobby such as ours, and disagreements happen, but calling people bashers because of disagreements is just silly talk.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    ...but a better DAC will cost more money. Plus a better DAC will need both a better power cable, a good digital cable on the input, and good analog cables...
    It all point$ to the $ame thing: $hunyata, Yadda, Yadda...

Exactly only a fool and a moron would need to think they need to spend more money on cables for each of their amps, preamps, cpd or any other piece of gear they own in order for it to reach its potential..that is Audiophoolery.
    A.K.A. Snakeoil aimed directly at you Bluefox.
    Quote Originally Posted by teekay0007 View Post

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by teekay0007 View Post
    I think replies like these all point to the same thing: You are scared of being taken advantage of............

Why run the risk of spending any money on any audio equipment. Just listen to the tunes playing in your head. That's as cheap as you can get............
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Exactly only a fool and a moron would need to think they need to spend more money on cables for each of their amps, preamps, cpd or any other piece of gear they own in order for it to reach its potential..that is Audiophoolery.
    A.K.A. Snakeoil aimed directly at you Bluefox.
    You say you want civil discourse and yet continue to make posts like above. Then, when someone retorts in kind you complain to the mods and get their posts removed. I think it's high time you were removed as I can't think of one post you've made that has contributed anything positive to the collective.

I don't care if anyone disagrees with whatever I say, it's the crowd that calls you an Emo basher if you disagree with them that gets my goat. Opinions will certainly vary in a subjective hobby such as ours, and disagreements happen, but calling people bashers because of disagreements is just silly talk.
    I don't categorize bashing as disagreement, because we all like what we like. Bashing to me is when someone comes into the thread and offers up an unsolicited negative opinion to counter an argument that no one was making in the first place, as occurred in this thread (and many others here where this brand is concerned).

But hey, now that this train has gone completely off the rails because of it, can we just move it to the hall of shame? Because at this point, those of us who are enjoying our Emotiva gear without evangelizing it as the next coming can't even discuss it without the condescension of others.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen

Bashing to me is when someone comes into the thread and offers up an unsolicited negative opinion to counter an argument that no one was making in the first place, as occurred in this thread (and many others here where this brand is concerned).
    Give us the example you speak of so that we're all clear on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    Someone drank a whole pitcher of Kool-Aid.
    And there's your example. It's what started the entire derailment of this thread. You troll by comparing Emo to a cult... Jhayman trolls back... the usual suspects chime in and it all goes to hell. It was unnecessary and irrelevant to the conversation... and 7 pages later, here we are.

Don't worry, man... I still got love for ya'.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp

Quote Originally Posted by kuntasensei View Post
    And there's your example. It's what started the entire derailment of this thread. You troll by comparing Emo to a cult... Jhayman trolls back... the usual suspects chime in and it all goes to hell. It was unnecessary and irrelevant to the conversation... and 7 pages later, here we are.

Don't worry, man... I still got love for ya'.
    Well, you are certainly right about Jhayman, but I read F1's 'kool-aid' comment as a bit a satire. Satire needs to have an element of truth to work, and there is no denying there is a cult like atmosphere amongst many Emo users here. There is nothing wrong with liking your gear, but when some say it is the best and imply others who bought better gear are wasting their money then they have crossed the line. It is always the Emo fanatics who start these discussions. It is almost as if they are just trolling.

If that's what you call, "Bashing to me is when someone comes into the thread and offers up an unsolicited negative opinion to counter an argument that no one was making in the first place" then I say you don't know what bashing really is. To hopefully clear up your misinterpretation of my comment, the previous poster to my post lists a very extensive list of emo gear in his sig. Hence, my humerous/teasing type comment was directed at him and no one else. He didn't seem to mind, but a lot of thin skinned others certainly took exception. A sad reflection on the times we live in, I suppose.

BTW, it's not trolling when the cult like comparision is accurate. One could accurately state that we foster the same cult like behavior here and I could care less. The emo crowd would do well to learn that lesson.

ATB,
    Jesse

No bashing of any gear here. The one thing I learned early on when you buy used, buy from a reputable dealer.Me I got my Adcom from Audio Classics sight and sound unseen but w/ their rep I did it for $300 and they threw in the shipping. The problem I had besides a bad rca cable or 2 was the fact when I used Monster Cable's ICs and had to rearrange things they wouldn't give and hurt my Onkyo P301 .That was fixed and months later after complaining I get a surprise pkge in the mail 2 new Monster Cables for free and I was instructed on how to insert and remove. Emotiva for the $ looks great I have no idea how they sound compared to other amps but w/ a warrenty that they have good choice.Also for me it has to look good and they also do that .Good luck and know who and what your buying from.
    2chl- Adcom 555- Onkyo P-301 pre- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Samson PS-15 9 outlet- Niles Sp 6- 6 zone spkr selector- DCM TF 350s- ADC 303ax-KLH 331- Polk Audio '87 SDA 2Bs w/ ic cable (Dynamat extreme, black hole-5- Mills 0.5 resistor, liquid nails, RDO- 194 tweeters, Larry's rings, Armaflex gaskets, stained walnut tops )

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #500HD Speaker set- Sony ce 375 5 disc carosel cdp-

Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL J2060

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by kuntasensei View Post
    Because at this point, those of us who are enjoying our Emotiva gear without evangelizing it as the next coming can't even discuss it without the condescension of others.
    Here http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/ you can discuss until your hearts are content with other like minded audio people without any sort of conflict with others. Everyone will be in 100% agreement with your POV otherwise they are banned.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    Well, you are certainly right about Jhayman, but I read F1's 'kool-aid' comment as a bit a satire. Satire needs to have an element of truth to work, and there is no denying there is a cult like atmosphere amongst many Emo users here. There is nothing wrong with liking your gear, but when some say it is the best and imply others who bought better gear are wasting their money then they have crossed the line. It is always the Emo fanatics who start these discussions. It is almost as if they are just trolling.
    I get that. But look back at every post up until his. Was anyone exhibiting such cult-like behavior? Were any of us claiming that Emo was the end-all be-all and that you're stupid to buy something different? Nope. Now look at how the thread changed after his post. 'Nuff said.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp

Thread Information