Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Searching for sugarman

Incredible story of a mexican-american man, born in detroit, who made 2 albums in america in 1970 and 71 that some consider almost the equal of dylan.

They never went anywhere, he eventually lived in a madmax section of detroit, occasionaly finding work doing back breaking construction work (cleaning out old houses of copper for instance), barely scraping along, suffering from health problems including going virtually blind.

A girl visited her relatives in south Africa, bringing along a copy of one of his albums, and as people heard and taped them his music spread, eventually selling hundreds of thousands of copys, of course, the money never made it to the artist.

Eventually, he was as common as any artist in the collections of people in SA, an urban legend began that he had met a tragic end in a fire, as well as others.

Well, at some point, he was found in detroit, toured south africa, and now, pretty much the world.

What i have heard of his music, it is quite distinctive and deserving of a listen.

Sixty minutes also did a piece not only of Sixto Rodriguez(real name), but of documentarian and the doc.

Fascinating story that would be laughed at if put into a movie,and music worth checking out.

P.S., i never posted anything about this because i figured it had been brought up, but after searching just now, could find nothing, please disregard if this is due to my subpar skill.
    Last edited by scottyboy76; 02-28-2013 at 08:19 PM.
    humpty dumpty was pushed

Scotty - I rented the movie and really enjoyed the story and his music. BTW, nobody laughed at the Oscars when it won best documentary
    Rig1 - Totem Hawks, Benchmark HDR, Parasound A21, Sonus, Samsung 52 LCD, Audioquest Type4
    Rig2 - LFD LE IV Integrated, Harbeth P3ESR, Rega Dac, MF V-Link, IMAC, Audioquest Type4

Thanks for bringing this up. I heard about this a few months ago but never followed up on it.
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Essence Audio HDACC, Douglas IC's, Douglas Alpha bi-wire SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Yeah I saw the sixty minute piece, very nice story.

I agree. This was an excellent documentary and worthy of it's Oscar award. If you haven't seen it, it's definitely well worth the watch.

I loved that movie. The story is awesome, and especially the reception he got when he was went to South Africa and performed for the first time was amazing.

Just watched this movie. I was blown away! If you havent seen this I highly recommend it. Just wow! What a Story!!
    I got static in my head
    The reflected sound of everything

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Highly recommended.

It's one of those movies where truth is truly stranger than fiction. If someone made this story up you would not believe it.

Another great music related documentary is "Theremin".

We are fortunate that someone heard a fragment about these stories or "myths", decided to pursue the stories and kept digging, and then made a documentary movie to share and preserve the story.

Any other suggestions?
    Counterpoint SA1000 hybrid tube preamp, SUMO Andromeda amplifier, Acoustat Spectra 1100 Electrstatic hybrid speakers, HSU HRSW12-V subwoofer, NHT SA-2 Subwoofer amp, Rotel RCD-1070 CD, Thorens TD-160 TT, Mitchell Transcriptors Skeleton w/Vesigal arm TT

Maybe I will have to go check out this movie now...
    Receiver: Denon 1912
    Speakers:
    Fronts: Polk Audio Monitor 70s (x2)
    Rears: Polk Audio Monitor 50 (x2)
    Center: Polk Audio Monitor 70
    KLH Sub GFX-550

Thread Information