Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default What is your favorite CD to play on SDA speakers?

I am sure this may have been discussed here at some point but I have not seen so in my 3+ months on this great forum, so here goes...

What is your favorite CD to play with Polk SDA speakers?
    In other words, what CD gives you the best SDA "wow factor?"

I am new to the world of SDA speakers, having bought a pair of Polk SDA 2B TL speakers from a fellow forum member about 2 months ago. I love the SDA sound. I find that some CDs just give you more of that SDA
    all-encompassing sound than others (depending obviously on style of music, instruments, sound quality of CD, etc).

My favorite CD to listen to on my SDA 2Bs is Dave Matthews Band, Under the Table and Dreaming.
    I like Dave Matthews a lot (although he is far from my favorite artist) and that CD sounds amazing on the SDA 2Bs. The sounds just seem to literally jump out and envelope you.

I am curious what other CDs peolple love to hear on SDA speakers.

Thanks.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

It's very difficult to say my "absolute favorite". But one of them is Jon Anderson's "Toltec" CD. Outstanding album with outstanding production and outstanding SDA sound.
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Don't have 1 favorite, but some that sound good on my rig are:

Susan Tedeschi's Greatest Hits - some tracks sound better than others, but the good ones are really good.

Bonnie Raitt - Slipstream (her newest) + a couple of others by her I can't think of right now

Blood Sweat and Tears' 2nd album (self titled I think), the one with You've Made Me So Very Happy, More and More, etc. A surprisingly good recording (sound stage, clarity of instruments and vocals) considering it was made in 1969.

DMB Crash - probably my favorite Dave Matthews Band album. Great layered recording too.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer

Headrott: I just ordered Jon Anderson's Toltec on your recommendation. Saw him about a year ago or so and although I have some of his solo stuff I don't have this one. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by dromunds View Post
    Headrott: I just ordered Jon Anderson's Toltec on your recommendation. Saw him about a year ago or so and although I have some of his solo stuff I don't have this one. Thanks for the heads up.
    You will love it! My second favorite album by him (Olias Of Sunhillow being IMO, his best). Best SDA "effect" I've heard for an album.

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion."

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Fiona Apple's most recent ("The Idler Wheel ...") is great on SDAs especially the last few tracks.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

you are right, it has been done before.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...t=sda+playlist

Maroon 5, songs about jane is excellent.

Try Chesky Records's "The World's Greatest Audiophile Vocal Recordings"

Trey of Vr3 Mods recommended this recording to me after i installed his modified crossovers in my SDA SRS1.2s, and my wife and I can't get enough of it.
    Family Room
    PS Audio PW MKII DAC, PW Transport; AQ Vodka IC
    Perreaux SM6P MKII Preamp, AQ Sky XLRs
    Perreaux Prisma 750 Amps, Morrow SP7 Cables
    SDA SRS 1.2as (RD0194s, Dreadnought, Black Hole 5, Acousta-Stuf, Dynamat Extreme, JBWeld. Vr3 Mods: Xovers & Binding Post Cups, SDA Inductors & Interconnect Cables)

Exercise Room
    Wadia 171i, Supernova 6 Glass Toslink
    CA Azur 840C, AQ King Cobra RCAs
    Perreaux SM6P Preamp & PMF3150 Amp, AQ King Cobra RCAs
    Dreadnought
    SDA 1Cs (Mod'd)

Quote Originally Posted by headrott View Post
    You will love it! My second favorite album by him (Olias Of Sunhillow being IMO, his best). Best SDA "effect" I've heard for an album.
    Headrott: I had never heard of this before so I loaded it up on MOG tonight. Cool stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by factorz View Post
    Headrott: I had never heard of this before so I loaded it up on MOG tonight. Cool stuff.
    It's the kind of album you have to listen to the whole thing. It's excellent.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

What is your favorite CD to play on SDA speakers?
    All of them.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    All of them.
    Ha! Taking the easy road, huh Jesse.

Member Sales Rating: (17)

I have a bunch that are fun to listen to. Yes 90125, PFDSOTM, Bob Marley positive vibration, The Who Tommy SACD, I think there a few more but it's too early. At least those are the ones I take out when new people come over to listen to the SDAs.

Member Sales Rating: (7)

The Dittybops first album. Wide open airy recording. Some tracks seem to float in the room. No point of origin, it's just there all around you. Still gives me the goosebumps. Some tracks make you want to dance all by yourself!!

Member Sales Rating: (9)

This will keep you busy for a while http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...6-SDA-Playlist
    SDA CRS+4.1TL's/Modded SDA 1C's/Modded SDA SRS 3.1 TL's/Modded SDA SRS 2.3TL

Member Sales Rating: (47)

Quote Originally Posted by lightman1 View Post
    The Dittybops first album. Wide open airy recording. Some tracks seem to float in the room. No point of origin, it's just there all around you. Still gives me the goosebumps. Some tracks make you want to dance all by yourself!!
    That was a memorable day I'll never forget-- 40 watt tube amp,,(modded Anthem 1) and a Dodd ELP,,and I think I kept your cd.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

Member Sales Rating: (7)

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by george daniel View Post
    That was a memorable day I'll never forget-- 40 watt tube amp,,(modded Anthem 1) and a Dodd ELP,,and I think I kept your cd.
    Yep!! The song "Black Breeze...somthing?" The wind chimes at beginning come from everywhere. The first time I heard it, I would swear that the chimes were really in the room.
    Howzit goin' George? The CD is gift to you, friend.

Oh! Another song. Mississippi Queen By Mountain. Simply for the raw power and cowbell. We need more cowbell!!!

Member Sales Rating: (47)

Doin well Russ-- you? Remember,, those were stock 1C's too,,, words cannot describe that day!
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

Now you guys got me interseted in the Ditty Bops first album listened to the samples on amazon that song is called Breeze Black Night. I like thier sound of course amazon lists it at $171.00 with used ones available at $2.07, put it on my wish list. I like Billy Thorpe- Children Of The Sun, Heart-Dog & Butterfly, Steve Miller-Fly Like An Eagle on SDA's for the effect but like F1 says they all sound good!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0517 (800x600).jpg
Views:	76
Size:	351.8 KB
ID:	82392Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0520 (800x600).jpg
Views:	71
Size:	336.3 KB
ID:	82393
    factorz and headrott you are both right just put this Jon Anderson-Olias Of Sunhillow on, my first listen on the 2B'S the SDA effect is all over the place thanks for the recomending it. I must now get Toltec.
    Last edited by gudnoyez; 03-03-2013 at 10:39 AM.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

For me, best live album is Allman Brothers Fillmore East.

Member Sales Rating: (8)

Quote Originally Posted by lightman1 View Post
    wailing jenny's are fun, too:)

Member Sales Rating: (8)

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    All of them.
    +1...if i burn the sumbitch to my hard drive, it has already passed a multitude of tests

Member Sales Rating: (49)

Quote Originally Posted by zarrdoss View Post
    you are right, it has been done before.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...t=sda+playlist

Maroon 5, songs about jane is excellent.
    So after reading this I went and picked up Songs About Jane. Knowing I have heard most of the songs on the radio, never hated it but never gave it any thought on picking it up.. Very good CD and mastered very well..

I enjoyed it!!!

Thanks Kevin..
    No Way But The Hard Way, So Get Used To It!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gudnoyez View Post
    Attachment 82392Attachment 82393
    factorz and headrott you are both right just put this Jon Anderson-Olias Of Sunhillow on, my first listen on the 2B'S the SDA effect is all over the place thanks for the recomending it. I must now get Toltec.
    If you liked Olias, wait until you hear Toltec. You will love it.

Speaking of Jon Anderson....I was just listening to Close to the Edge by YES and that is also a great CD to listen to on SDAs. The sound comes from everywhere. I will have to pick up Jon Andeson's solo albums, Olias of Sunhillow and Toltec. I have not heard them but they got great reviews on here. Thanks for the recommendation, headrott, and the others who commented (factorz, gudonyez) on them.

You should order the Audio Fidelity hybrid SACD of Close To The Edge as I've read the soundstage, fidelity, clarity, detail, and imaging is the best out of any version. I was hoping to receive mine, but a "glitch" is delaying that....
    Just order CTTE along with the Jon Anderson CD's and have a Yesfest!

Tom Petty from the soundtrack "She's The One". Frickin awsome!
    "My wife likes my rig......HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!"

B&W CDM 1NT; B&W CDM CNT; Infinity us 1; Velodyne DEQ-8 x2; Pio Elite VSX-23; Sony SCD-CE595 SACD, Marantz CD5001, [/COLOR]

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Too Live Crew...

Member Sales Rating: (5)

If we're limiting this to just CDs, then for pure SDA wow-factor, it's easily No Doubt's Rock Steady. Pure SDA wowness on every track. Now, go look at the spreadsheet in my sig. GO LOOK AT IT!
    Are you part of the dirty digital peasants or a member of the great Analog Master Race?

SDA Recommended Playlist https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...FZCRkdxYXVNanc

Open for editing.

Thread Information