Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Cool KEF Q900 vs PSB image T6

Here are two contenders and my experiences with them in different rooms with very different acoustics:

PSB Imagine T6: Clean music, good imaging, clear mids and just right highs. Adequate bass for most songs, but lacking in Rock & Techno (thats what i hear most)
    KEF Q700 (I couldn't find Q900 to audition yet): Superb imaging and sound stage, horribly sounding bass, clear mids, warm highs which i tend to like.

I can add woofer later but Q700's ugly bass turns me down and I won't be able to ignore it. I guess Q900 would do better with bass with those 8" drivers.

Anyone auditioned Q900 & T6?

Member Sales Rating: (31)

The room can greatly affect low end. I wouldn't consider the Q700 to have "ugly" bass.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Well I have owned the PSB Image T6's and I loved them tight bass, nice midrange and clean highs though a little bright on varying music I found.
    I have not heard the Kef's but looking at reviews the PSB's look better.
    I only upgraded to my Paradigms because of the excellent deal I got and I sold my PSB's the same day for almost as much as I paid for them.

I have the Q900s and the bass is definitely better on them than the Q700s. I auditioned the Q700s originally b/c the shop didn't have Q900s to at least get a sense of them. The 8inch woofers on the Q900s definitely make difference - you can definitely run them without a sub. Aesthetically, the Q900s look a little plain compared to the PSBs, but I love the sound.
    ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs

Member Sales Rating: (20)

The KEF have a more laid back sound than the PSB, but the PSB aren't bright to me especially on my tube rig.

I prefer the PSB personally, but I have the B6 instead of the tower. It really depends on your taste and other gear though, if you have a system that's more forward sounding like a Yamaha or Onkyo then the PSB may be too much. If your setup is neutral or warmer sounding then the PSB are a perfect match.

I think the PSB are better with tubes because the two offset to give a very neutral sound but still with that tube lushness, but both are efficient speakers and can be driven by a tube rig.

I've owned the PSB Synchrony One's and KEF Q300's, so all I can speak to are the brands signature sounds. I have NOT heard the Image line.

The KEF's were way to laid back for me. I never once had a great moment with them in my 2 channel / HT rig. They were powered by a Parasound HCA-750a, so they had more than enough juice in my medium sized room. The uni-q drivers were very coherent, but they didn't have the extension on the top that I was looking for. They were bookies so I wasn't expecting much in the bass region.

Every PSB speaker I've heard has been a winner. I love the way these speakers are voiced. My Synchrony One's were the best speakers I've ever owned and I kick myself all the time for getting rid of them (wanted a new DSLR). Some of the technology from the Synchrony's have trickled down into the Image T6 and they'd be my choice over the KEF's any day of the week.
    Last edited by audiocr381ve; 03-04-2013 at 04:53 PM.

The first speakers I ever owned were psb's..passif ones.Loved the sound.Looked at a pair of image t6,but to me the build quality wasn't there, at least on that pair.Had a pair of rti 10's, liked them but for me were lacking in bass at times and the highs would become fatigueing.Was interested in a pair of q900's, but in my neck of the woods they never go on a good enough sale.Liked the idea of aluminum drivers so decided to give axiom a try. Same canadian NRC roots as psb and paradigm.For the money I don't think I could have gotten better speakers.

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Quote Originally Posted by taranfx View Post
    Here are two contenders and my experiences with them in different rooms with very different acoustics:

PSB Imagine T6: Clean music, good imaging, clear mids and just right highs. Adequate bass for most songs, but lacking in Rock & Techno (thats what i hear most)
    KEF Q700 (I couldn't find Q900 to audition yet): Superb imaging and sound stage, horribly sounding bass, clear mids, warm highs which i tend to like.

I can add woofer later but Q700's ugly bass turns me down and I won't be able to ignore it. I guess Q900 would do better with bass with those 8" drivers.

Anyone auditioned Q900 & T6?
    As far as the Q700's having ugly bass...that's a new one for sure, I don't even know what that's supposed to mean? The 700's are superb sounding, just a bit lacking in the bass compared to the Q900's. The 700's are more than adequete for most rooms but the 900's are clearly better in the bass dept. I never heard any PSB speakers so I can't comment, but I can say that my previous LSi15's were no match for the Q900's. I was very happy with the LSi15's but once I had my ears on the Q900's...well the rest is history & in my signature. If at all possible try to listen to them both, then go with whatever pair floates your boat.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3010 AVR
    D>SONIC M2-600M mono's / mains
    Rotel RMB-1095 / 5 channel amp
    Rotel RMB-1075 / 5 channel amp
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds