Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Toddler "cured" of HIV

I was blown away by this. Not exactly cured, but a huge step in the right direction.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/03/health...red/index.html
    Usher CP-6311, Shuguang S200MK, Shuguang S845MK, Pioneer BDP-51fd, Douglas IC's, AQ cv-8 SC's, Pangea/Douglas PC's, Epson 8100

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    Not exactly cured, but a huge step in the right direction.
    Not so fast there, DSkip. I'd be more inclined to call it a fortunate outcome for an unfortunate situation, rather than a step in the right direction. Quite likely, the only reason the toddler was infected with HIV as an infant was because the mother didn't receive any prenatal care and was not known to be HIV+ herself. Therefore, she didn't receive any antiretroviral medications prior to the infant's delivery and put the infant at unnecessary risk of contracting HIV/AIDS. If the mother takes the antiretrovirals even for several weeks prior to giving birth, the transmission rate of HIV to the infant is minute, on the order of only just a few percent.

But yes, hopefully a new lease on life for the toddler - a life without the need for antiretrovirals and reverse transcriptase inhibitors and the inherent side effects that they bring with them.

I wonder if the child now has an immunity to AIDS.

Very happy for the toddler, and yes the mother was unaware until near the end of her pregnancy from the article I read earlier today. At least a promising hope for the future. I'd be more concerned as to can the child still pass the virus to others thru blood or sexual contact later in life. It seems the doctors put her on an fairly large and not normal dose of the cocktail shortly after birth and saw good results. They maintained contact for awhile and then the mother and child were out of the system for a few months no explanation given. At that point the Dr's were very surprised to see the toddler did not show any signs of the virus to the point that they were forced to recheck whether or not the child had tested positive initially at all. ONce they confirmed that the child was positive at birth samples were then sent to independent labs after the lapse of treatment to confirm that the virus was present in only miniscule amounts that bode well for her future.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    I wonder if the child now has an immunity to AIDS.
    That's a good question and unfortunately, the answer is no. HIV is a very rapidly mutating virus and therefore, is next to impossible to have antibodies formed against it that would be protective. For the same reason, there's never been an effective vaccine available for HIV or the common cold. It's reasonable to think that the child might have some resistance from re-infection though since she would likely have antibodies to some parts of the HIV capsule.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Good news, nonetheless. And as far as HIV, I'm pretty sure its days are "numbered". There is ongoing research on how to attack the protein coating on the virus and render it unable to maintain its ability to cloak itself in any new form. Though, much work is yet to be done, I look forward to that future where this is no longer a problem. Should probably occur within our lifetime!

Research on the Flu virus is also promising regardless of HOW much and HOW fast it likes to mutate, it may also, soon, be a thing of the past.

Mutation may no longer be a fool-proof means of continuance!

cnh
    Last edited by cnh; 03-04-2013 at 02:17 PM.
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Good finding, but terrible parent that should not be able to have kids.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    Mutation may no longer be a fool-proof means of continuance!
    cnh
    We can only hope eh.....seems like the more we find cures for whatever ills we have, the more pop up. Strains become immune to previous antidotes and morph into stronger resistant strains. Maybe it's just mother earths way of saying I've had it with you human species, be gone with ya.

Thread Information