Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Member Sales Rating: (20)

I've never heard JRiver on a PC with gear as good as what I've got now, but if that article is indeed correct and it sounds the same and that's the final version of the sound then color me not impressed. I still think Amarra on top of iTunes is the best sound I've ever heard out of my computer. Amarra has a smoother sound that I prefer, JRiver sounds more like BitPerfect does on top of iTunes, a more edgy, forward sound. It has a bit more impact than Amarra but I prefer the smoother sound myself.

Maybe JRiver isn't worse, and maybe Amarra colors the sound to smooth things out, but it's definitely what I prefer.

In fairness to JRiver I need to do some blind testing and make sure I'm being subjective, but I've done blind testing before between Amarra, Audirvana, Bitperfect, Pure Music, and Decibel and I've always been able to tell the difference between them and I'm hearing the same kind of difference with JRiver.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (1)

It would be cool if someone did comparisons on a Windows based PC with Itunes. Most software programs are for Macs, which kinda sucks. Not too many higher fidelity programs for windows. Did I mention that sucks ?

Well, open mouth insert foot, because I'm changing my tune on JRiver!

It turns out I had some funky EQ settings enabled (even though I never touched those, that's why its not final software yet). I turned all that crap off and voila, perfect beautiful sound! It's still a toss up between JRiver and iTunes+Amarra though:

- Sound between the two is now very similar to my ears.
    - JRemote and the Apple Remote app are both very good, I'd call that a tie as they both do exactly what I need. JRemote has an extra step to set up but no big deal.
    - JRiver even in alpha stage is much more stable than Amarra (although Amarra sounds great I've had continued problems and their support is among the worst I've ever encountered).
    - I still prefer the iTnues layout though and the multimedia keys don't work in JRiver, at least not that I've been able to figure out.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Danny looking forward to listening to your Amarra set up at LSAF. I run JRivers and have been pleased.
    Would like to plug your Amarra into my DAC and do some comparisons.

You still planning on taking that Friday off?

Cheers
    Ron
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables
    Office rig: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    It would be cool if someone did comparisons on a Windows based PC with Itunes. Most software programs are for Macs, which kinda sucks. Not too many higher fidelity programs for windows. Did I mention that sucks ?
    Yeah, not to mention high-resolution over USB is not a standard feature in Windows and most USB DACs still require drivers to get their best sound.

AFAIK, iTunes uses the Windows audio engine for audio playback. I'm not sure if you can change that to something like ASIO in iTunes, but if you can't then iTunes is compromising your audio quality. The Windows mixer applies dither which by definition makes the signal NOT bit-perfect. Whether or not you can hear it on your system is a different story.

I have my wife's Windows 8 laptop beside me that I need to work on today (did I mention that I hate Windows?). When I get it back up and running I'll download JRiver and do some comparing and give you my impressions. I actually need to do this anyway because I'm taking this computer to LSAF where a few of us want to do some comparisons between the two platforms.
    Main HT

Bedroom System

Office Rig

Quote Originally Posted by txcoastal1 View Post
    Danny looking forward to listening to your Amarra set up at LSAF. I run JRivers and have been pleased.
    Would like to plug your Amarra into my DAC and do some comparisons.

You still planning on taking that Friday off?

Cheers
    Ron
    OK, that's funny that we were posting the same thing at the same time...

Yeah I'm taking that Friday off, staying Friday and Saturday night
    Main HT

Bedroom System

Office Rig

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Great I get in town late Wednesday, going to set up Thursday run out to Rockwall till noon then chill. Also, going to run out to Halens and listen to his new Ushers.

Somewhere in the mix hope to get Skippers gear in Thurs or Friday morning.

I already have both mine and Skips rooms, so you are more than welcome to bring your gear down early and start playing around till your rooms available.

When I arrive I will try to coordinate our rooms on the 3rd floor maybe take a corner area so the big boys at the show can have the other rooms around the Atrium for there banners.

Any thoughts?...Please chime in

Should be fun
    Home Theater:Samsung8000-55LED,Pioneer SC35, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Sunfire TGA7201, LSi25, LCi RTSc, LC80i
    2chnl system:Melody 101 tube pre, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, W4S Dac, MG Audio Planus2 speaker cables
    Office rig: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures

I actually booked two rooms as well, would be good if we can get all 4 in one of the corners somewhere.
    Main HT

Bedroom System

Office Rig

Member Sales Rating: (36)

Quote Originally Posted by AsSiMiLaTeD View Post
    Well, open mouth insert foot, because I'm changing my tune on JRiver!

It turns out I had some funky EQ settings enabled (even though I never touched those, that's why its not final software yet). I turned all that crap off and voila, perfect beautiful sound! It's still a toss up between JRiver and iTunes+Amarra though:

- Sound between the two is now very similar to my ears.
    - JRemote and the Apple Remote app are both very good, I'd call that a tie as they both do exactly what I need. JRemote has an extra step to set up but no big deal.
    - JRiver even in alpha stage is much more stable than Amarra (although Amarra sounds great I've had continued problems and their support is among the worst I've ever encountered).
    - I still prefer the iTnues layout though and the multimedia keys don't work in JRiver, at least not that I've been able to figure out.
    Try the Theater view of JRemote. It is incredible and turns your iphone/ipad into a touch pad to move the cursor around your monitor. Album art is dynamically loaded into the background of whatever artist you scroll over. It is sick. I was an Apple fan to the core until I built my own music server and loaded JRiver.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

I was all set to buy JRiver after my 30 day trial expired but it seems my phone number is a required field in the order form even though I am paying with PayPal? Also, it appears there is no way to contact them? Nowhere is there a contact phone or email address for support? What's up with that?

HT system -
    Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH, LG 60PK550 plasma, Panasonic DMP-BDT210 BDP, DTV HD receiver, SB Touch, 5 x Polk Audio RC85i
    Computer rig - Windows 7 PC running JRiver, M2Tech HiFace 2 w/external battery power, Grant Fidelity TubeDac 11, Fostex PMO.4n monitors

Member Sales Rating: (13)

screw it...I just put in a bogus #. Screwy company though, IMO :^ /

HT system -
    Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH, LG 60PK550 plasma, Panasonic DMP-BDT210 BDP, DTV HD receiver, SB Touch, 5 x Polk Audio RC85i
    Computer rig - Windows 7 PC running JRiver, M2Tech HiFace 2 w/external battery power, Grant Fidelity TubeDac 11, Fostex PMO.4n monitors

Thread Information