Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Input on first Home Theater System - Boxing Day Sale

I am looking at getting a Home Theater System initially I was going to go piece by piece but came across this in the boxing day flyer and am seriously thinking of jumping on it.

Name:  500x1000px-LL-0ca4c64c_Untitled.png
Views: 394
Size:  127.8 KB

It appears to be Monitor60 Tower Speakers, Monitor30 Bookshelf Speakers, CS1 Center Channel Speaker and a PSW110 Subwoofer.

The system comes with a Sony Receiver model # strdn1020 which from reviews seem to be a decent receiver most knocks on it is that it doesn't have airplay and only support 4 HDMI devices.

This will be my first Home Theater System and was looking for some input from others that might have used or have these components in their system.

My budget was $1000 initially but obviously would change for a great deal.

Your feedback is appreciated hopefully you can help me out as the deal will be live tonight at 8:00PM EST.

I also forgot to mention that I live in Canada I can order from newegg and pick it up but the same system as above priced out is $925 after taxes without a receiver.

Seems like a pretty good deal. Recieved an e-mail from Amazon, and they also have some really good deals going on right now. May want to take a few hours web-surfing before pulling the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by rpf65 View Post
    Seems like a pretty good deal. Recieved an e-mail from Amazon, and they also have some really good deals going on right now. May want to take a few hours web-surfing before pulling the trigger.
    Will do I am not sure if I want to go with a smaller speaker setup or go with the towers for a more overall experience.

Not sure of the usual prices in Canada, but I pieced together a system similar to that. Monitor 60, cs2, monitor 30, and a 660wi sub for around $875, but you have to be a little patient. Newegg usually has good deals on the weekends in the states. Might not be every weekend for a particular product, but usually within a month. In the states you can check camelegg.com for price history to give you some idea. I would suggest the monitor 70 and the cs2 vs that setup.

Plus that leaves you open to get a better receiver like the onkyo 809 that is on Amazon for $470

Now take what I say with a grain of salt because it is all related to Newegg in the states, but it may still be relevant to you.
    Pioneer SC-25 | Adcom GFA-555 | KEF q900 Front | KEF q600 Center | Polk Monitor 30 Rear | Polk CS2 Rear Surround | Polk DSWPRO 660wi sub

Quote Originally Posted by bansheesho View Post
    Not sure of the usual prices in Canada, but I pieced together a system similar to that. Monitor 60, cs2, monitor 30, and a 660wi sub for around $875, but you have to be a little patient. Newegg usually has good deals on the weekends in the states. Might not be every weekend for a particular product, but usually within a month. In the states you can check camelegg.com for price history to give you some idea. I would suggest the monitor 70 and the cs2 vs that setup.

Plus that leaves you open to get a better receiver like the onkyo 809 that is on Amazon for $470

Now take what I say with a grain of salt because it is all related to Newegg in the states, but it may still be relevant to you.
    I compared the setup to newegg and came up to about the same price point you did and came to about $900 after taxes without a receiver this also doesn't include gas and border taxes which would probably be about $150 more.

So I think for the convenience of being local it's a good deal.

As for the quality of the components how would this system rank? This will be my first home theater setup.

Given the budget it is certainly a good system. My only hangup on the receiver is that it doesn't have preouts for adding external amplification should you desire to do so in the future. As far as the speakers go, if I was building the system I would want the bigger cs2 center. The center is your most important speaker in HT. I would also spring for the larger monitor 70s.... But I guess you have to take what the deal is if you want it. It would be a very nice first HT setup though.
    Pioneer SC-25 | Adcom GFA-555 | KEF q900 Front | KEF q600 Center | Polk Monitor 30 Rear | Polk CS2 Rear Surround | Polk DSWPRO 660wi sub

Quote Originally Posted by dirtydenim86 View Post
    I am looking at getting a Home Theater System initially I was going to go piece by piece but came across this in the boxing day flyer and am seriously thinking of jumping on it.

Attachment 78735

It appears to be Monitor60 Tower Speakers, Monitor30 Bookshelf Speakers, CS1 Center Channel Speaker and a PSW110 Subwoofer.

The system comes with a Sony Receiver model # strdn1020 which from reviews seem to be a decent receiver most knocks on it is that it doesn't have airplay and only support 4 HDMI devices.

This will be my first Home Theater System and was looking for some input from others that might have used or have these components in their system.

My budget was $1000 initially but obviously would change for a great deal.

Your feedback is appreciated hopefully you can help me out as the deal will be live tonight at 8:00PM EST.
    I built myself the same system, minus the reciever (used the old one) from Newegg. It was about $500 US or so, and that included the mounts

Turns out the theater system only came with 1 tower speaker which isn't much of a deal.

leave it to best buy to give you a bait and switch
    HT/2channel:
    AVR: Yamaha RX-V 765
    Fronts: Polk RTiA3
    sub: Polk PSW110(will add 2x PSW 505)
    Center: CS13
    surrounds:Polk RTi4
    TV: samsung 40
    The real 2 Channel(work in progress):
    Pre:HK 3490
    Amp:Parasound 1200 MK II
    Sub:RBH 1010-SEP
    Speakers: YTD
    most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaveyL View Post
    I built myself the same system, minus the reciever (used the old one) from Newegg. It was about $500 US or so, and that included the mounts
    Did you just pick up pieces individually as they went on sale at newegg?

Quote Originally Posted by seabeerob213 View Post
    leave it to best buy to give you a bait and switch
    The photo does show 2 towers clearly I am usually not one to pull the trigger and put an order through after reading the overview and it clearly saying SINGLE TOWER SPEAKER but the price in the ad ($1199+$750) is $1949 which if you calculate all the items up on their website with 2 towers it comes to that price.

I just called them they said they have been getting a lot of phone calls on the theater systems I had her verify that it did come with 1 tower for that price and I had her go a head and cancel the order.

Looks like I'll be shopping on newegg today and going down to the states to pick it up.

new egg looked to have some awesome deals on some monitor series today, also if you have a friend near the border, maybe you could try polk's ebay store and have it shipped there, and you could pick it up, i know it was fun getting some speakers shipped here to sicily, glad there are companies that provide shipping specifically to APO/FPO addresses, really helped me there
    HT/2channel:
    most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)

new egg looked to have some awesome deals on some monitor series today, also if you have a friend near the border, maybe you could try polk's ebay store and have it shipped there, and you could pick it up, i know it was fun getting some speakers shipped here to sicily, glad there are companies that provide shipping specifically to APO/FPO addresses, really helped me there
    Taking a look now it appears that the monitor series70 that are left are only open box.

I am not familiar with newegg audio product but do they go on sale fairly often? The deals today seem pretty good I'd just prefer to get everything I need for a system all at once since I will have to make the drive down to ogdensburg to pick up the items.

i see different monitors for sale on there every week, fry's also has good deals, check out the deal on rti 12's and a psw111 for like 850 i think, and i think 2 8's and the same sub for 500, and the csi3 center for 107, which matches the rti speakers, and polk direct ebay store has the rti4 bookshelf speakers for 135, which math the towers, also on the ebay store is the csi5 for 205 roughly, bigger version of the csi3 center will probably blend better with those towers, if you go that route you can have a much better speaker set-up for between 750 and 1100 bucks, then go to accesories for less or onkyo's website and pick up a nice refurb receiver for a fraction of buying new and thats a pretty sweet setup for about the same price
    HT/2channel:

i believe fry's participates in the free sub promotion so if you do that you could effectively end up with two psw111's, not familiar with this sub, but seems a little small relative to system suggested, i would sell both and pick up a psw 505, which can be had between 189-250 from newegg, they go on sale there a lot, havent listened to my 505's yet, they went to my dads house, but my bro says they sound awesome, and everyone here that i've seen talk about them says theyre the best bang for the buck sub around
    HT/2channel:

the 8's and csi3 came off of that sale sometime in the last 6 hours, now for the 2 8's and the sub, its the same as that original system you had posted,

heres the others though
    12's
    http://www.frys.com/product/7497765?site=sa:Audio Pod:Pod2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EA-RTi12-BLA...item35c198726a

rti4
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAIR-RTi4-Bl...item35c28b9522

csi5
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/CSi5-BLACK-C...item53efc02338

i havent looked or priced out receivers anytime soon, but i will get on that in couple hours, gotta go skype my family
    HT/2channel:

hope i've been able to help. i may not have near the expirience of these guys, but what i do have is hours of idle time to shop around online, so i like to help how i canand if im wrong or otherwise ill-informing with any off my help i hope someone else will step in and make it a point, as im always open to someo constructive criticism
    HT/2channel:

the 8's and csi3 came off of that sale sometime in the last 6 hours, now for the 2 8's and the sub, its the same as that original system you had posted,

heres the others though
    12's
    http://www.frys.com/product/7497765?site=sa:Audio Pod:Pod2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EA-RTi12-BLA...item35c198726a

rti4

csi5

i havent looked or priced out receivers anytime soon, but i will get on that in couple hours, gotta go skype my family
    What do you think about this:
    Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  122.5 KB

How do the Monitor70 series compare to the RTI4?

This will be my first system I do want to do it right the first time so your input is appreciated I just don't want overkill lol

Futureshop locally has the RTI10 Tower Speakers for $299/each what do you think?

thats a decent price from what i've seen shopping around, can be had cheaper, but sometimes the ability to go pick them up and not have to pay shipping or wait for delivery is nice
    HT/2channel:

like i said im new here, the only polks i've heard are my rti4's, my psw 110, and a few tsi and rti-a at the local stores, the rti series are designed for home theater thought(rt= reference theater), just seen the rti series highly recommended for those looking to do HT on a budget as they are fairly modern speakers with great features at really good prices as they are a discontinued line
    HT/2channel:

hope i've been able to help. i may not have near the expirience of these guys, but what i do have is hours of idle time to shop around online, so i like to help how i canand if im wrong or otherwise ill-informing with any off my help i hope someone else will step in and make it a point, as im always open to someo constructive criticism
    Been very helpful I just think my best bet for the price would be to stick to the monitor series I'd like to keep my budget around $1000 for the total package

Are the RTI10s the same as the RTIA9s?

I am just a little confused as I cannot find the RTI10 on the website.

the rti tens are the earlier version of the a-7's, the 9's are the new version of the 12's
    HT/2channel:

the rti tens are the earlier version of the a-7's, the 9's are the new version of the 12's
    http://www.polkaudio.com/products/rti10
    HT/2channel:

The rti10 are the older version of the rtia7 and the rti12 are the older version of the rtia9. Very similar in sound from what I have read. The rtia series have more attractive cabinets and some different caps or crossovers (maybe someone can elaborate better on that)

That's not a bad price on the monitors. If you are looking for a system that you will be very happy with for years to come in music and HT then I would suggest looking into the rti or rtia series. The monitors were great starter speakers for me, but I accidently slipped down the rabbit hole very soon after.

If you live near Detroit, MI and you need some place to ship them to, shoot me a pm. I would be happy to help out.
    Last edited by bansheesho; 12-25-2012 at 01:00 PM.

This will be my first system I do want to do it right the first time so your input is appreciated I just don't want overkill lol
    What sucks way more than overkill is underkill and wishing you had bought something just a little bit better. Sound systems are intoxicating and there is nothing like listening to a good piece of music and being moved by the reproduction or getting into a movie and hearing that scene that just makes you grin from ear to ear because it sounded so dammed cool.

So if you can swing the extra for the rti or rtia series then it would be well worth it. If not then that monitor setup that you have picked out is no joke, it is a perfectly capable system.

th rti with good sales can be had for close to the same price, i think what i put down is +/- 50 $ and a way better avr can be had for a few hundred, maybe go for those 10's or the 12's w/out sub and the csi5 and the rti4, could be closer to 900-1000, and a decent receiver for around 300 -400 refurb, not too much more than the original
    HT/2channel:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html
    rti4
    csi5
    future shop rti10 600
    total, 1385.00 not too much more than you were spending before and twice the quality
    HT/2channel:

HT/2channel:

Thread Information